Fleas

My dog has fleas and I wanted to know if hartz 3 in 1 control collar for puppies will be one step toward helping him...My dog is a toy poodle..sure he's not a puppy but he's 10lbs and I though since puppied are small and he's small that it might have the same affect..Of course I'm gonna give him the reg. flea bath and use oatmeal conditioner...and advantix or frontline...but I wanted to know about the collar...is it ok to use it?:confused:

showpug

Hartz products are not effective at all and neither are flea collars. Bathing wont work long term, once your dog is dry, the fleas will come back.

Advantage or Frontline are the best products out there for fleas. They are very effective and work very quickly. They also help eliminate fleas in your home as well. When the treated dander falls off your dog, it kills fleas in the dog's environment. Both products are very safe as well.

Remember, if your dog has fleas, chances are that tapeworms are present as well.

omg good thing I ordered frontline...Cause I used a waterproof spray for fleas, ticks, and eggs and put on his collar and the bigs are all running to his nose so carefully my sister and I put some on his face and the bug are jumping left and right...we also got oatmeal conditioner for the irritations, this week he's going to the vet and she's going to give him a special flea bath, and we got foam shampoo for fleas, ticks, and eggs, now I'm just waiting for frontline to arrive. How would I know if he's carrying with tapeworms are there any symptoms?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I wouldn't buy any hartz product ever. Too many hurt or dead pets especially from flea control products. I refuse to support something that's sketchy if it works, and can kill.

Hartz is awful stuff, don't use it.

Frontline, Advantage are two I would recommend.

Flea collars are gross, and anot effective for the entire body.

wow thanks for the info..I really didn't know this. I'm definitely gonna return these products back..I can't have anything harmful happen to my pup.

showpug

The vet doesn't need to give your dog a flea bath if you are applying Frontline. The Frontline will take care of the total problem. If you want to use your oatmeal conditioner then bathe your dog now before the Frontline arrives.

Tapeworms look like small rice or sesame seed segments in the poop. Sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't. Blood or mucous in the stool is another sign.

bubbatd

When I took in a lost pug for 2 days , he was LOADED with fleas ! I took him to my vet for a micro chip check and they sold me a pill ( $1.50 ) that would kill all fleas in 12 hours. My Ollie is on K9 Advantix and never got a flea ! The only good a Hartz collar may be is in your vacuum bag !

When I took in a lost pug for 2 days , he was LOADED with fleas ! I took him to my vet for a micro chip check and they sold me a pill ( $1.50 ) that would kill all fleas in 12 hours. My Ollie is on K9 Advantix and never got a flea ! The only good a Hartz collar may be is in your vacuum bag !
That is pill was probably Capstar. How did your poor pup get so infested? I would buy a good flea comb too and every now and then comb through the fur so the problem doesn't get this bad again.

wow thanks for the advice. It's very helpful. I'm gonna go to petco tomorrow and pick up a flea comb.

Julie

I am back again.
The vet doesn't need to give your dog a flea bath if you are applying Frontline. The Frontline will take care of the total problem. If you want to use your oatmeal conditioner then bathe your dog now before the Frontline arrives.

Tapeworms look like small rice or sesame seed segments in the poop. Sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't. Blood or mucous in the stool is another sign.

I agree. And I think you should quit with all the other chemicals... and wait for the frontline to arrive.
A little more detail incase you didn't know:
When using frontline it travels in the oil of the skin, so to speak.
Therefore you should not bathe your dog for at least 48 hours before applying the frontline...( I think longer is even better). And then do not bathe for at least 48 hours after applying it. So it has time to circulate over the pets intire body.
Given some time, frontline should really take care of the total problem...the fleas that are living in your house will eventually jump on the dog and die too.

Hartz is not effective and also dangerous compared to the safer products that work alot better.

As for tapeworms.....if the dog has fleas....consider that your dog has tapeworms. You can get meds from the vet for this...
But they now also sell over the counter meds that will kill the tapes.
The active ingredient would be.. Praziquantel . Don't use that Happy Jack crap either...just because it mentions tape worms it is not effective. Stick with the active ingredient praziquantel. Safer and more effective. If you cannot find it in a store near you, it is available on line. Or just go to the vet, it sounds as though a check up is in order anyway. :)

lol that was a great deal of info. Thank u I really appreciate it. I will definitely consider the fact that he might have tapeworms and look for products with Praziquantel. I can't wait until his frontline arrives so he can be a happy baby again. He has a lot of bites and dried blood on him and he's just so irriated, I'm glad I hear such good things about this product though cuz this assures me of his soon to be happiness!!

bubbatd

Yes it was Capstar . A good thing to remember if you bring a stray into your home.

B

Bobsk8

Keep in mind that some people have better results from Frontline and some from Advantage or Advantix. Smokey was on Frontline for a few months and the vet was still seeing a few fleas. I switched to Advantix and no more fleas at all. The advantage of Advantix is that it also repels and kills mosquitoes, which are really bad in the warm months where I live.

http://www.nofleas.com/

Members online

No members online now.