RE:Amish Puppy Mills

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I would give anything to have a picture of that little girl...if i raised a child like that i would so proud of me. Her parents were such good people. i had the pleasure of spending every sat morning with quite a number of Amish people that had their businesses going same as me. I became quite ill once and the little girl stepped in and ran my booth. I couldn't get back to tell her i was terribly ill..i couldn't even stand up straight and she just stepped in and did the job. She had heat rash (it gets very hot at city market) and she could have just walked off..i would have understood but she didnt. She had a handicapped little brother and her thoughts were always of finding something that would please him..a suprise since he couldn't come to market with her.

Saje

Island dweller
I agree, we can't judge everybody because of the actions of a few. Not the Amish, Christians, dog lovers, ...

I've known a few Amish but more Mennonites. I admire and respect their way of life and have not seen an example of animals being treated cruelly. That's not to say that there isn't. I'm sure there is. There are abusive people of all walks of life. All we can do is judge each circumstance and 'deal' with it.

Agility, your comment was not a fact and it was out-of-line and hurtful to a lot of people. I hope you think about that.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
EliNHunter said:
Agility, what are Christinas? I have not heard of Christinas and how they've massacred billions of people?
I am a Christina (chris, short for Christina) and I haven't massacred anyone! I'm confused :confused: :rolleyes:

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
smkie said:
I would give anything to have a picture of that little girl...if i raised a child like that i would so proud of me. Her parents were such good people. i had the pleasure of spending every sat morning with quite a number of Amish people that had their businesses going same as me. I became quite ill once and the little girl stepped in and ran my booth. I couldn't get back to tell her i was terribly ill..i couldn't even stand up straight and she just stepped in and did the job. She had heat rash (it gets very hot at city market) and she could have just walked off..i would have understood but she didnt. She had a handicapped little brother and her thoughts were always of finding something that would please him..a suprise since he couldn't come to market with her.
I grew up around these people, and my husband was neighbors to them and went to school with them for years. Such a peaceful people, both amish and mennonites (which I would be if there was a mennonite church anywhere around) they don't believe in divorce, or sending their elders away to be cared for by anyone else, they care for their own. Some of their practices might seem strange to outsiders but mightn't ours seem strange to others too? There are some people who take better care of their dogs then their kids, who get married and divorced 12 times, like each new relationship is some kind of trophy, kill for the sake of killing or because someone said something not so nice about someone else's mother, we preach world peace and then go and throw rotten tomatoes at anyone that doesn't look just like us. The amish and mennonites at least know what they believe and stand for. How many of us can state that so decisively from the time they are children? I used to have the privilage of teaching phys. ed. in a small mennonite school (didn't need a college degree to do so, just a love of kids and sports) some of the nicest, most polite, precious, precocious children I have ever met. I agree with smkie, if I ever had children I would be PROUD to call one of these my own. Values, morals, a black and white/right and wrong attitude about themselves. Smart and dedicated to learning about everything and everyone, not just wasting their lives in front of a t.v. or video game or listening to trash on the radio. They don't believe in war and their hearts were so tender that they cried when they saw a small bird dead in a field. How are we supposed to make the world a better place when whenever someone in a different culture does something abhorable we lable that WHOLE culture with something? We are diverse so we learn from each other, and the thing we aren't supposed to learn, even consider is hate. My least favorite four letter word. I am disgusted that anyone that claims to love animals soooo much could despise another culture for one or two peoples actions. I am sorry , this just hits really really close to home and it makes me angry.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I read a book about how the young people have a choice to continue the lifeatyle..they are not forced into it when they become adults..and it isn't an easy decision. the book was a novel, and i don't have it anymore for i took it to the thrift store, but i do remember it was well researched.
I told my little helper girl that if she painted a rock and brought it to me i would trade her one of mine for herself. She chose one for her brother..and it wasn't a rock, but a small wooden frog fastened to a stick with a spring. A nicnac that i had picked up at the hobbystore out of the bargin bin and painted for a little something to sell as well. She thought her brother would be able to make the frog wiggle and that he would like that. I would have let her have anything on the table. Her mother had tmj like i do..only hers was not as severe, but still she was going thru a lot of the same symptoms so my girl understood what was happening to me. The lifting and the heat was what triggered the attack to my health. That was the last time i went to city market and when i got home i cried uncle and called the surgeon. Running a booth at downtown city market in Kansas City is no easy job..there are hundreds and hundreds of people. bronki was out there to. She was just a little thing and handled it out there for over an hour. I usually sent her back to check in with her parents every half hour to an hour so i don't know if they came down or not. I do know that she had adult supervision by the vendors on both sides. She didn't even ask them for help..she was amazing.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
smkie said:
I read a book about how the young people have a choice to continue the lifeatyle..they are not forced into it when they become adults..and it isn't an easy decision. the book was a novel, and i don't have it anymore for i took it to the thrift store, but i do remember it was well researched.
not forced but...strongly encouraged? Was the book by someone named Beverly Lewis? She does alot of writing on the amish.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i don't remember, i read very fast and devour books by the week..so i end up with a head of stories but don't necessarily remember the author or the title..the story started with a barn burning..and one child was lost trying to save his horse. Does that ring a bell? The parents strongly encouraged...and the story was about how hard it was to enter the the "american culture", the confusion was the main focus of the book. I read it a long time ago..

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
sounds familiar but I tend to be like you and just read the book and forget about anything but the story. If you do ever think of it, just give a yell and I might go pick it up (again? :) ) Anyway, it is hard to enter "american culture" from living in a small farm community all of your life, amish or not :) I moved 1 1/2 hrs away from "home" in lancaster pa into a Philly suburb and I am suffering severe shell shock after over a year. I miss my country :) I miss my amish and mennonites and farms and dogs and fertilizer smell ...okay not so much that but anyway :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was raised in suburbia, but i still had my woods..and my dad had a two farms. I wake up every morning here to the smell of exhaust. I so wish i was far away from the roar of traffic. At least i still have a mocking bird..when i moved i thought how much i was going to miss my mocking birds and so far here all i have heard is starlings until tonight..and there he was up above my house Yeah!!!! it was dusk and he was singing his heart out. Maybe one day i can be where i belong....far out of this city, but until then..this bird helps make it bearable..have an owl too!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Agility23 said:
Anything i post is a proven fact!

Christinas have massacered mass billions of people so how does that make them not scum?
some, some christians have masacred billions of people.

Just becasue their are a few people of a religion, race, age, whatever that are bad, doesnt make them all that way, thats how racism, sexism, agism and all the other prejudice beliefs begin

Agility23

EliNHunter said:
Agility, what are Christinas? I have not heard of Christinas and how they've massacred billions of people?
Roman army massaered the celts

Witch trials

Crusades

List goes on and on

It's a human problem, Agility - hating and even killing because people have different beliefs, lifestyles, viewpoints and opinions.

The Romans were not a Christian (or 'christina') empire. They worshipped a pantheon of gods largely absorbed from Greek culture. Most Roman soldiers were Mithras worshippers. The Gaulish Celts they mostly conquered through economic means. The Scots and Irish Celts mauled them pretty thoroughly (Hadrian's Wall was put up to protect the Roman settlements in Britain from them); at one point, Celts invaded and ravaged Rome itself.

The history of the western world is rife with examples of wars, crusades and persecutions fueled by dogma - it's human nature, unfortunately, and not limited to the Christian religion. It didn't even originate with the advent of Christianity.

It originates with hate, prejudice, ignorance, zealotry and bigotry.

Agility23

incorrect the Romans originally worship pagan gods then later converted to Christianity.

Its a christian problem in a big way.

Agility, once again, not only are your historical timelines completely out of synch, you're being incredibly obnoxious.

What's puzzling many of us is that there are times when your posts are almost reasonable; there are even some sympathetic posts to other members with problems. Then you blast into a thread like this one and display your lack of knowledge, manners and an utter inability to communicate in a civil and thoughtful manner.

It has reached a point where either you are going to have to do something to bridle your tongue or you won't be allowed to post for awhile.

EliNHunter

Renee750il said:
What's puzzling many of us is that there are times when your posts are almost reasonable; there are even some sympathetic posts to other members with problems. Then you blast into a thread like this one and display your lack of knowledge, manners and an utter inability to communicate in a civil and thoughtful manner.
Me thinks she forgot to take her meds :rolleyes:

Agility - This forum is known for it's family like atmosphere. Although we all have our different opinioins on certain subjects we find a way to coexist happily. When you come on here throwing out opinions and it causes such a disturbance - take note. Don't just continue causing all this chaos, it's not welcome! Learn when to stop, think & shut-up. Make your opinion known in an unconfrontational way like it has been done on this site from the beginning. Opinions are welcome, chaos is not. I am a Christian - I am proud to say I am a Christian! To agree with the others... just because people kill, abuse, etc, and they CLAIM they are Christians, that is no reason to hate the rest of us. As Sunnypup said
As for the amish, saying they all abuse animals is like saying all black people are in gangs, all hispanic people live in huts, all german people are nazis and all pitbulls are dangerous!
Does none of this make sense to you or are you so small minded that you punish people for what others have done, because one IS a Christian and the other CLAIMS they are a Christian or because SOME Amish people abuse animals now they all do? In your PROVEN FACTS does that mean that because some Asians abuse animals that they all are abusers or because SOME of them commit murder they all are murders? Or how about non-religious people or hindus or muslims or atheists, Americans, Brittish, Chineese.... Are they all condemed in your PROVEN FACTS because SOME do bad things? I'm not trying to say I'm perfect - no one is perfect - not even you. I'm just trying to show another side to things. I'm not going to urge you to leave the site, just to please be aware and considerate of other peoples feelings. I'm sure your intelligent, I'm sure you know as well as I do that Religion is a very controversial subject. It's something that both sides feel very strongly about and most people are willing to argue and even fight over it. Please take this into consideration the next time you would like to make such a derrogatory comment - try to help us keep the peace here. I'm going to apoligize to you now because I know I'm being very hypocritical here. I'm "preaching" my view/opinion while saying you shouldn't be so derrogatory. I'm sure my opinion may be derragatory to you. With that being said...as I said before Religion is a very touchy subject with all sides feeling very strong about their views. This is an example of that. Knowing you feel the way you do about "bible bashers" as you call them, makes me sad. I'm not going to push my religious beliefs on you but I will pray for you. I can not make you change your mind - that is for you to do if & when you're ready. Either way - I hope this post does show you why others are so angry with you.

pitbulliest

Agility..your ignorance just plain amuses me..you're saying Christians massacred everyone? What about when Christians themselves were mutalated beyond belief at one point in history? What about that?

I think you're confusing religion here with HUMANITY...its HUMANS that can be cruel..its a HUMAN problem..not a CHRISTIAN problem...you offend me...I'm a Christian and to hear this makes me sick...what is your religious background? I'm sure I could name at least hundreds of downright dirty things that have occured in whatever religion you throw out on the table...but its not about the religion itself, its about the people and what they do...and ignorance, much like your own...

if you haven't noticed, Christianity teaches its followers to be respectful of those around them, to tolerate, and to never kill let alone massacre...my goodness...

Hmm..so just because a few bad PEOPLE did some terrible things in history, makes me a bad person because I'm a Christian? So its MY FAULT?...Give me a break!

That's just sad..you're a very ignorant person..you should educate yourself on this matter instead of simply hating everything that you are not...and just don't understand..

As for puppy mills...(back on topic here)...the best thing we can do is educate..I go to pet shops sometimes and when I see a potential customer wanting to buy a dog, I let them know the truth..I even volunteer to email them a list of shelters or good breeders where they can find a dog that ISN'T from a puppy mill...that's all we can do right now...if everyone stops buying, we wouldn't have this scumbag problem in the first place..

THANK YOU *steps off of soap box*

Agility23

A few bad ???? we are not talking one or two people here we are talking about billions of christians like the entire christian church burning witches.... Or the entire church sending armys to the crusades.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
oh Agility give it up..im sorry but good grief. may i ask how old you are?..i just have to ask? there are thing more important in life than thinking you are right..there was a life lesson in all of this for you and i truly hope that you will reread it all very carefully and see how you are coming across..life will just smack you upside the head if you go out into the world like this..and i would hate to see that happen. Life lessons are never easy, and if you could learn from this one it might save you a great deal of embarrassment in the future.

Members online

No members online now.