Need Exercise Suggestions

mojozen

bullie lover
Hi Everyone,
I know the basic answer to the question of "Hey My dog's getting overweight, what should I do to help slim him down?" I know the answer is, cut back on his food and exercise more. He's currently on 1 cup of Innova daily with some cottage cheese and pumpkin at night (looking for alternatives to this also right now).

I know our biggest problem is I am unable to exercise him fully. He didn't start getting fat until this winter when my sickness sessions increased (I keep getting sick about every 2-3 weeks) and my ability to breathe went way down (I have severe asthma... ). I've been trying to take steps to keep his walks long - but I'm still unable to give him the outside exercise I am able to do during the warmer months.

As it stands right now, I don't have access to a fenced in yard, and I do not feel comfortable taking him to a dog park. I can't afford to take him swimming at an indoor dog pool, and the few weekly dog play groups I've looked into won't accept him because an adult pit mix. :(

I play with him indoors - lots of fetch games... but is there more I can do indoors to exercise him?

I feel terrible that my lungs aren't keeping up with his needs for proper exercise.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hmm...maybe switch the cottege cheese out for some greenbeans? Still filling but less calories. Do you have a set of stairs? I wear my Aussie out at night by tossing his toys over the balcony so he goes tearing down the stairs to get them, then back up to me. 15 minutes of that and he's done. :)

PFC1

I am curious why you are not comfortable with dog parks. Is it because your dog is dog/people aggressive? Is your dog unhappy going? Are you afraid of the other dogs? I know that the dog park is not every dog, and these would be legitimate reasons not to go. But my experience with my dog park has been great. My dog loves to go. When I get home fom work he gets really excited in the hopes that we are going. There is no better way to get him lots of excercise.

Athebeau

Hire a dog walker:) Talk to your Vet and see if they have a kennel hand or Vet tech who would like to make a couple extra bucks...or a neighbor that you trust.

mojozen

bullie lover
My reasons for No Dog Parks for Mojo

PFC1 said:
I am curious why you are not comfortable with dog parks. Is it because your dog is dog/people aggressive? Is your dog unhappy going? Are you afraid of the other dogs? I know that the dog park is not every dog, and these would be legitimate reasons not to go. But my experience with my dog park has been great. My dog loves to go. When I get home fom work he gets really excited in the hopes that we are going. There is no better way to get him lots of excercise.
Since Mojo is a pit mix I don't trust him not to finish a fight that someone else starts. To me that is common sense. But also, Mojo does NOT like to be rushed and crowded by a bunch of other dogs - and when you go to a dog park it seems to be the norm that when a "new" dog enters the park every dog within sight rushes that new dog to greet him/her. And it has also been my experience that the other dog owners do not have their own dogs at a reliable obedience level to risk Mojo ever again at a dog park.

Generally Mojo is friendly with other dogs, except large intact males. He loves to meet new canines, and will play bow once the initial sniff over is done. However, due to an incident two years ago where three off leash dogs picked a fight with my on leash dog while we were on a walk around our neighborhood (that ended up dragging me down into the middle of it) Mojo just does NOT like to be crowded.

The last time we went (over a year ago) we got rushed at the gate. We were trying to head AWAY from the main dog area to go play swim and fetch with a friend of mine's trio of dogs that Mojo likes. But we get through the gate and all of the sudden i have a basenji trying to mount my male dog and WOULD NOT GET OFF; two huskies in his face and climbing all over him. and several other miscellaneous dogs all crowdign him.

I tried to get the other owners to stop their yakking and get their dogs but they would not even bother to look to see what the problem was. The one person who owned the two huskies finally sauntered over calling them, they ignored him repeatedly. I finally hefted my dog up into my arms, just as he was starting to reach his breaking point. He then laid still (for once - he's not a lap dog by nature) and had his tail tucked up tight. THe two huskies kept leaping up on top of me trying to get at him.

When the huskies' owner finally claimed his dogs, he asked if Mojo was a baby? I said quite firmly NO. He then berated me for bringing my leashed and dog friendly pit mix into the dog park.

We haven't been back since. I refuse to set foot in any dog park for that reason... My dog is fine... other dogs? not so fine.

mojozen

bullie lover
Zoom said:
Hmm...maybe switch the cottege cheese out for some greenbeans? Still filling but less calories. Do you have a set of stairs? I wear my Aussie out at night by tossing his toys over the balcony so he goes tearing down the stairs to get them, then back up to me. 15 minutes of that and he's done. :)
I have seen you offer this suggestion before about the green beans. I am planning on stopping by the grocery store tonight. We live in an apartment, unfortunately i don't think my neighbors would appreciate the noise of Mojo fetching his squeak toy in the hall. Plus his hips aren't the greatest - the main reason i am worried about the extra padding. :(

But thank you for the suggestions.

mojozen

bullie lover
Athebeau said:
Hire a dog walker:) Talk to your Vet and see if they have a kennel hand or Vet tech who would like to make a couple extra bucks...or a neighbor that you trust.
Due to my neighborhood, I don't trust any of my neighbors. I get too many questions regarding selling/breeding Mojo to ever be comfortable with this. It is a good idea though for whenever we move into a more reputable area. Once I establish a record for Mojo at the local teaching hospital I will see if there is anyone my vet knows who'd like the cash. Thank you for the suggestions... :)

PFC1

I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. I know some dogs don't have the temperment for the park, yet their owners bring them anyway. It is true that many dogs will rush to the gate to see new dogs as they come in. It is also true that many owners are not as attentive as they should be. If you are not comfortable with your dog in this situation, given all of these factors, then you certainly are wise not to take your dog there. My dog is fairly good sized, but is also very tolerant of other dogs' transgressions. He will let most things go, but is confident enough that he isn't afraid, and does not communicate fear to the others. Fortunately, the people that go to the park by me will shame others with dogs that are not appropriate into leaving the park. Thus, while there is the occasional dog that doesn't belong, they don't stay long, and they don't come back.

mojozen

bullie lover
PFC1 said:
I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. I know some dogs don't have the temperment for the park, yet their owners bring them anyway. It is true that many dogs will rush to the gate to see new dogs as they come in. It is also true that many owners are not as attentive as they should be. If you are not comfortable with your dog in this situation, given all of these factors, then you certainly are wise not to take your dog there. My dog is fairly good sized, but is also very tolerant of other dogs' transgressions. He will let most things go, but is confident enough that he isn't afraid, and does not communicate fear to the others. Fortunately, the people that go to the park by me will shame others with dogs that are not appropriate into leaving the park. Thus, while there is the occasional dog that doesn't belong, they don't stay long, and they don't come back.
You are lucky to have people who recognize the issues. Don't get me totally wrong, i think the idea of dog parks is excellent. The reality for most dog parks, however, is a completely different situation. In the case of this dog park? I'd rather not risk my dog's safety, nor the safety of other dogs who play there, due to what I see as owner negligence. :mad:

But thank you for the suggestion... it's a good one, it's just not a feasible one for Mojo and myself.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Echoing xxxpoo's suggestion for a treadmill. At a show awhile back I met a woman with Staffy Bulls who has to keep them in tip-top shape for the show ring, but she is handicapped and can't take them on long hikes or let them run free in fields. (Heh, no fields around here!) She has a doggie exercise room where she has 4 treadmills that she's rigged with a double-leashing system to keep the dog from running all around the sides of the mill, and with a little creative thinking she's got the emergency stop-key thingy hooked to their collars so that if they have to stop for some reason, they won't be injured. The dogs love it and they're in awesome condition. It's not ideal, of course, but while you can't exercise with him it would be a decent option to keep him in shape.

Amstaffer

Too bad you don't live about 1.5hours farther east....I would walk him for you and he could play with my Sal and Athena.

I echo the treadmill idea, I know people who swear by them for dogs but I have never tried it myself.

If you are looking for low impact try getting a horse water tank that is deep enough and fill it up in your garage or basement. Use a life vest (for dogs) and a harness to hold him up while he swims the pounds off :)

Fran27

Wow how do you put a dog on a treadmill?

Mojozen, I sympathize, I have asthma also and it makes it really hard to walk the dogs at times. I'm lucky to have a back yard though.

mojozen

bullie lover
Amstaffer said:
Too bad you don't live about 1.5hours farther east....I would walk him for you and he could play with my Sal and Athena.

I echo the treadmill idea, I know people who swear by them for dogs but I have never tried it myself.

If you are looking for low impact try getting a horse water tank that is deep enough and fill it up in your garage or basement. Use a life vest (for dogs) and a harness to hold him up while he swims the pounds off :)
I saw that you lived in the Milwaukee area. :) It's a shame we don't live closer... Mojo would love to have more friends.

I will remember the water tank idea for when my parents finish remodeling their house this year. Once that is done, and the back yard is safe again, I will be asking if I can use their yard more often as a play area for Mojo. I will remember your idea about the pool... funny thing is, my dad still has water troughs for horses back on his farm in MI. I shall have to see if he'd be willing to bring one out with him when the house is done.

mojozen

bullie lover
Fran27 said:
Wow how do you put a dog on a treadmill?

Mojozen, I sympathize, I have asthma also and it makes it really hard to walk the dogs at times. I'm lucky to have a back yard though.
I've seen it done, but i haven't done it with Mojo yet. I know you first have to get them used to standing on the treadmill when it's off and then if it's an electric one you start it off at a really slow speed... then over time increase the speed.

What I really wanted to get was a custom built dog treadmill for that is not electric and are all dog powered. However, they are at least $500 on the low end, and at this time I don't have $500 lying around my apartment. :(

It shall have to remain a wish for now.

mojozen

bullie lover
xxxpoo said:
Buy a cheap used treadmill :)
RD said:
Echoing xxxpoo's suggestion for a treadmill. At a show awhile back I met a woman with Staffy Bulls who has to keep them in tip-top shape for the show ring, but she is handicapped and can't take them on long hikes or let them run free in fields. (Heh, no fields around here!) She has a doggie exercise room where she has 4 treadmills that she's rigged with a double-leashing system to keep the dog from running all around the sides of the mill, and with a little creative thinking she's got the emergency stop-key thingy hooked to their collars so that if they have to stop for some reason, they won't be injured. The dogs love it and they're in awesome condition. It's not ideal, of course, but while you can't exercise with him it would be a decent option to keep him in shape.
I have thought about getting a treadmill for mojo (and myself!) but have not seriously looked into it. I shall start keeping my eyes open for one on the freecycle list and/or classifieds... it really is a good idea. Thank you xxxpoo and rd! :D

Members online

No members online now.