Kennel Cough

We've had kennel cough going around at work (daycare/training facility) and Venice started hacking a little while ago.

Everything I'm reading is suggesting that the infection can be caused by a few different viruses and bacteria.

A lot of what I'm reading is also suggesting that most cases will resolve without treatment within a week. I don't want to take her to the vet and stress her out if I don't have to. And I don't want to put her on antibiotics if she doesn't really need them.

What are your opinions on kennel cough? Take them to the vet right away, or do any of you ride it out and let them get better on their own. She's young, healthy, fit, and her appetite and energy levels haven't changed.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You could always call your vet to see what they say.

From experience, I had a dog that was on the last day of meds for kennel cough and wound up giving it to my other dogs. They all had to go on some meds and one got it so bad that it almost went into pneumonia.

Here is a good site that explains all about kennel cough and what to do:

http://www.petairapy.com/canine-cough-kennel-cough-in-dogs/

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
Natasha got kennel cough some months ago, we took her to the vets and with some medication, on two days you couldn't say she was ill, she was back to her normal, energetic crazy self.
I've heard about dogs that don't even show the simptoms and others that get really ill, it depends on the individual.
I can't tell you anything else, though. Just don't take her around any other dogs for at least a week and a half, or they could also get the cough.

Personally, I would take my dog to the vet and get it treated, with antibiotics, if necessary. But that's me. But I certainly understand not wanting to do that.

I would suggest that she get the vaccine in the future, since it's so contagious, especially if she's around other dogs.

crazedACD

I've had a few dogs with kennel cough over the years (I worked in boarding kennels, if the boarding dogs had it, my dogs caught it too!). The first time I had my three dogs at the time get it, it was a basic cough that didn't seem too bad, it went away without antibiotics. Two of my dogs got it again a few years later, and one seemed worse than usual. His cough was a bit 'worse', after a few days he was very lethargic, and stopped eating. Went to the vet, started him on antibiotics, and it cleared up after that. I would keep an eye on her and if she starts acting 'sick' other than just the cough, bring her in. Hope she feels better soon!

I'm personally not a big fan of overmedicating in general, and that especially includes antibiotics. Unless a dog's immune system is already functioning poorly, there is almost never a reason to treat kennel cough, so I personally don't do it and don't even vaccinate for it (unless it's an emergency and I have to board, and they requite the vacc).

Kennel cough made it's rounds around my house a couple years ago and they never went to the vet. Just down time, honey and cuddling. Traveler had a fever the first day but after that was fine.

I would personally just keep an eye out and if it doesn't seem to be getting better then head off to the vet.

Disclaimer *Not a vet or a tech or anything*

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Personally I'd ride it out unless she seems sick and miserable. But otherwise it's like a cold... annoying but in most cases it resolves on its own just fine.

Pretty sure Juno and Lucy had it a few years ago, I didn't bring them in, they got over it on their own. Juno got it after being vaccinated and then passed it to Lucy. I don't vaccinate for it anymore.

Hey all, thanks for your opinions. Definitely not taking her in to work or allowing her to interact with other dogs right now. She is the only dog at home so I'm not worried about her passing it on - we do have an elderly cat but I'm pretty sure this is a species-specific infection?

I would suggest that she get the vaccine in the future, since it's so contagious, especially if she's around other dogs.
She has been vaccinated - the 'bordetella' vaccine is similar to the flu vaccine for humans: it doesn't mean you won't get sick, it just means you're protected from the most common/serious virus strains that cause it.

We'll ride it out - she's still feeling fine, just hacking if she gets too excited. I made my own turkey broth a few weeks ago and froze it into ice cubes and I figure it might soothe her throat so she's been getting one every few hours. It's making her day. :)

Members online

No members online now.