Would you?

mom2dogs

I wouldn't do it - just too many irresponsible breeders out there who lie through their teeth about titles and having the dog checked before breeding etc. Sounds suspicious to me and those pups will end up in somebody's back yard on a chain or being bred when they're old enough to bring in some fast cash. You have no way of knowing what lurks in the genetics of those pups. JMO but I would steer clear of that.
I'm assuming any responsible person would looking into the claims and the owner would release all records, certificates, etc. as well as the buyer know the lines and have done their research, thus, having somewhat of a general idea of what is there.

I would do it in certain circumstances, but there are a lot of factors that would come into play.

If the circumstances were right, maybe. I would be concerned about the breed-then-dump factor. I would be concerned about the match-up of the breeding. I would be concerned about my ability to handle a litter at that point in time. I would not be concerned about the age of the bitch, unless she was a giant breed.

IMO, people narrow down the breeding age field way too fine. They shouldn't be bred until they're 2, preferably 3. But then you shouldn't breed them past the age of 6? Healthy bitches will do just fine bred later. I'd rather get a pup from an 8-year-old dam who is obviously still kicking and not showing signs of late-life problems than I would from a dog who was bred at a year and a half. In fact, those are the circumstances under which Terra was born.

altos1

I have the opportunity to purchase a direct relative of Altos and she is now pregnant.. This is why I asked the question it gives me an opportunity to have a part of Altos back with me and of course the opportunity to keep a pup or two.. I have had a very long discusion with my vet and he believes we can handle it..Kinda excited since its only been a week since my main man left me..Thank you all for your honest replies

bubbatd

If you do go ahead with this , please buy " How To Raise A Puppy You Can live with " . Tells you how to get ready and step by step weekly musts ! When is she due ? Also , I would only consider keeping one pup . Book tells you why . Let us know !

altos1

Thank you Granny I will check that out...Raven is due in 6 weeks if I pick her up now we would have time to bond..This is what the owner told me.. I am kinda excited about the turn of events..the owner breeder and my vet will be available for the delivery if required which is great and wonderful..

We are still mulling this over as it is a large responsibility..I am ready to go with it but hubby that's another story in its self.. Thank you again and I will buy the book..

Personally my dogs are my family and who can sell a brother or a sister?
If the breeding was done to further the breed NO reason to sell a pregnant bitch.

Unless profit is the only thing coming to mind.....

Exceptions are a breeder that did a well planned breeding and due to severe
issues regarding health or family 911 cant whelp the litter.

Even thou If that happened to me I would send my dog to my friends in my breed for whelping and the preset buyers I had on my waiting list.

Dogs stress when giving birth and this pic is my 7 year old giving birth and she insists on my hubby being close when she is due...

She has had 3 litters well spaced and is now 8 years old and spayed.
Age depends on each dog some dogs simply take long to recover and not worth teh risk breeding older.
Mind you most dog breeds have shorter lifespans these days so 7 is OLD.
My breed lives 11-15 year.

altos1

We have decided not to purchase Raven..and the litter..My husband and I have had long and hard conversations about this and it is in our best interest to wait..

As the hubby says I am very emotional right now and it could affect everything where the dog and the litter is concerned.. He said its time to greive and wait. Some times we have to listen to what our men have to say.. So I will call the breeder today and break the news to her..

Altos will be waiting for you at Rainbow bridge. You cant replace a soul with even the same breeding... I sent a little boy a replacement dog FF Nem cause FF Apollo was killed in a farm accident by His mom. My only stip was he needed to be told this is not Apollo and that Nem needs to be treated like a new dog even thou they look alike.

I did this so the mom would not have the son remembering she ran his best friend over.

She called the other day and said her son came in and said I love Nem mom but I MISS Apollo. That to me has brought tears to my eyes even today and he has been dead for years and she waited a long time before she got another.

Time heals never forgets...

altos1

Altos will be waiting for you at Rainbow bridge. You cant replace a soul with even the same breeding... I sent a little boy a replacement dog FF Nem cause FF Apollo was killed in a farm accident by His mom. My only stip was he needed to be told this is not Apollo and that Nem needs to be treated like a new dog even thou they look alike.

I did this so the mom would not have the son remembering she ran his best friend over.

She called the other day and said her son came in and said I love Nem mom but I MISS Apollo. That to me has brought tears to my eyes even today and he has been dead for years and she waited a long time before she got another.

Time heals never forgets...
Thank you for that I sure goes appreciated.. Altos was the world to me and as you said I will never be able to replace him..This has been hard but in the long run a growing experiance.. Thank you again

Members online

No members online now.