Do I have a real Westie?

pamula

I just got a puppy, West Highland. The only thing is, his tail is curled up towards his back, almost touching his back. Does this mean I do not have a real Westie? From looking at pictures of Westies, everything else looks the same.

First, congratulations on the new puppy! Westies are great dogs. I walk my neighbor's every Saturday. A feisty little thing ;).

Westie's tails do not curl. They do tend to hold them high, however.

bubbatd

It's what is in the head...not the tail .( Unless you show a dog ) That tail will wag with happiness no matter where it points..... N ,S, E, or W .

Doberluv

Congrats on your new pup. I guess the tail is not perfect, but like it was said, unless you're showing, you're going to not even notice that after a while. You'll fall madly in love with your little sweetie and the important things will far outweigh any little flaw like that. Can't wait to see pictures of him!

showpug

Westie's can have a curved/curled tail over their back, but it is a "fault" if you were to show the dog it would not be acceptable. Since you are not, it really doesn't not matter :) Just because the tail is curled, your dog could still be a "real Westie." If you go to http://www.akc.org and look at the Westie breed standard, it talks about curved/curled tails. Enjoy your pup!!! :) :)

bubbatd

As long as it wags.....there are a lot of imperfections in this world in someone's eyes, but what comes from the heart is what counts.

Members online

No members online now.