Talk to me about bones.

So, I've gleaned that rawhides are no good.

What about those pig ears? Josie LOVES those things.

What about plain old cow and pig "bones"? I went to a rib restaurant and brought her the large bones from my feast and she literally went NUTS for them.

Also, I bought some HUGE freakin', like hip bone or something from a big dead animal at petsmart. I bought it as a joke, sort of, to see what she'd do with it. Well she's done everything but hump it. She's gnawed on that thing for about 3 weeks now and it's down to a manageable size, but probably has about 2 weeks worth of gnawing left in it.

In general, are they good for dogs? Her teeth look healthy as ever, and it certainly holds her interest better than any chew-toys. She seemed to back off the hip bone (or whatever it is) now that all the "marrow" or whatever is gone, but she still seems to kind of clean her teeth with it.

Your advice sought.

Doberluv

My Chihuahua almost died on account of a pig's ear. A sharp shard of the thing must have scratched up her intestines and she had bloody diarrhea for about 24 hours. That could happen in a larger dog too. Their intestines are all very tiny. The rawhide can become small enough to swallow and cause blockages. These things, IMO can kill a dog. If you feed real bones, make sure they're raw. Cooked ones are brittle and can perforate the intestines. I stick to Nyla bones, which I've heard on rare occasions can break a tooth, but I've never had that happen. Kongs are hard rubber and it's a rare dog who can chew them apart.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I give raw natural bones on occasion. IMO they are the best thing to go with.

As for processed chews, I'd rather stick to things like high quality rawhide (I take it away if it gets to the point where they can chew pieces up and swallow them) greenies, and rubber toys like "Orbee" bones, kongs, nylabones and the like. I don't trust pig ears, they splinter too easily. Cow ears are a blockage begging to happen.

In place of the hip bone thingy, I'd go to a butcher and see if you can get a raw femur, sliced in half length-wise. (This is so she can get the marrow out of it within the first day or two, so it doesn't stink to high heaven after a few days.) It's just as big, she can still gnaw on it for ages, and it's digestable.

All bones are great. Yeah they love the marrow. Just dont let the bones stay around for TOO long, otherwise they get a build up of bacteria on it. You can see it because it gets a bit moldy and has a funny smell. You will know it when you see it. Anyway, the dogs will get a bit of an upset stomach once that sets in, but they'll want to chew on it anyway. Take it away and give them a fresh one. Works great for teeth. And they are never bored.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
All bones are great.
i'd be a little more careful with statements like that. :)

it very much depends on the size of the dog you are looking at, and how enthusiastic of a chewer they are. overall any weight bearing bones should not be given carelessly. the knuckles of femur bones are great, but the middle part, especially in bones from large and older animals, can break teeth and does wear them down over time.

so if in doubt, go for neck and rib bones rather than for femurs. :)

bubbatd

Thanks Mordy !!!!! Mine would love spare rib bones !! I hold them and let them strip like corn on the cob. I've had 4 dogs lined up in a row waiting their turn. 1st to 3rd would be nibble, nibble, nibble ....4th was sweet Hunter...GRAB!. ever got them and soon followed the family rules.

Members online

No members online now.