how can i get duke to

chilled

hi my 4 month old dog wont crunch his biscuits.
when we feed him his food he eats it so fast he just swallows it with out even crunching it.

we feed him science hill.

hes been like this since we got him

i dont know whether its because he had worms and is always hungry?
any advice please

DKim81

I don't know if you can really force him to chew, but wetting the food before feeding it can help it digest it easier and maybe minimize getting it lodged somewhere.

frznbuns

You can get a dog to slow up their eat by putting a tennis ball in the bowl. The dog will have to eat around the ball making it eat slower. That is what we had to do for our male Doberman. there are also bowl that have a raised part in the middle that you can get.. Same consept as the ball.

M

Manchesters

Or A Brick

frznbuns said:
You can get a dog to slow up their eat by putting a tennis ball in the bowl. The dog will have to eat around the ball making it eat slower. That is what we had to do for our male Doberman. there are also bowl that have a raised part in the middle that you can get.. Same consept as the ball.
Depending on the size of the dog, some say a brick works. And get the dog onto a better food. Science Diet is very poor quality, and over time will demolish the kidneys. I am poor, so must use Maxim from Walmart. Am using it on a trial basis right now. So far, much less poop coming out of the dogs, which indicates higher digestability.

And you might also want to increase the amount of food your dog is fed. He might be semi-starving, rofl. Or at least he THINKS he is.

Athe

First, I have never owned a dog that chewed it's food (unless it's big chunks of raw meat)...I do know that it happens...but, never in my house :D
When I am bringing up puppies (last litter my girl had 7 ;) ). I feed them a few small meals throughout the day instead of once a day, or even just twice a day. For a 4 month old pup I have them cut back to 3 meals a day. I have always added water to kibble and canned food...much better for the kidneys. I have never fed just dry kibble and my dogs have had perfect health and healthy organs through old age.
I would never rely on a kibble as a dental aid :) In many cases I have seen MORE dogs, especially smaller breeds suffer from tarter build up due to chewing or crunching on kibble.
If you haven't wormed your puppy yet, then it is something you should do. Most puppies are born with round worms (unless their mother has never had roundworms...roundworms can stay dormat in a female dog then the hormonal change when pregnant will infect the pups with worms.). I usually treat with Drontal plus (obtained from Vet only), then I follow up in 2 weeks with Strongid T. You have to follow up with the round worm treatment in 2 weeks to kill the eggs. ;)
Good luck

Melissa_W

frznbuns said:
Couldn't they just pick the tennis ball out? I would think you would need something more like a rock, that would be harder to pick up... but I don't know!

showpug

I have heard that if you put the food in a very large flat pan then they have to pace themselves because they can't gulp down piles of food - because it's all spread out LOL! None of my dogs chew their food...they have nice teeth because of it though.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
you can also try feeding from a treat ball instead. this one works really well. :)

and i second the suggestion of finding a better quality food. science diet is not all it's cracked up to be. :(

chilled

hi you all say science plan is rubbish but since i have been feeding him on it he has put on lots of weight and now the worms have gone he is less ribby.
i live in england and dont have as much food for puppy as you have.
purina large breed upsets his stomach, science plan is the only good dried dog food i know (expensive thought £12 for 3kg)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Y

yuckaduck

Melissa_W said:
Couldn't they just pick the tennis ball out? I would think you would need something more like a rock, that would be harder to pick up... but I don't know!
That we use to do with the horses that forgot to chew in their desperation to eat. lol Nice flat rocks biggy ones too and then food in the bucket worked well. I can't see why it would not work with a dog as long as the rock is big enough that he/she does not think it is food and eat it too.

Y

yuckaduck

chilled said:
hi you all say science plan is rubbish but since i have been feeding him on it he has put on lots of weight and now the worms have gone he is less ribby.
i live in england and dont have as much food for puppy as you have.
purina large breed upsets his stomach, science plan is the only good dried dog food i know (expensive thought £12 for 3kg)
You will find that food is a rather argumentative topic. Everyone has there idea to what is best and honestly there is better than SD but if it works. I use to fed SD and never had a problem the only reason why I changed was because I found cheaper so now I feed Kirkland Signatures chicken and rice. May not be popular but Yukon is healthy, nice coat, and looks good. I'm happy.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
This is coming from a raw feeder and may not help with the initial problem but its a tip.

When i feed my dogs I water it down so it is like soup that way they eat it slower because I had alot of take one bite and swallow type dogs. I don't know its just an idea.

Members online