Hey Wisconsinites! Come to a fun-filled protest!

Ok, I know protests aren't fun. I'm not really an activist, but this one is truly important and local for some of us.

Where: medical college of wisconsin, 8700 W. Watertown Plank Road
When: 12 Noon, Thursday, Jan 25
Why: to protest the use of lab dogs used in the 1st year physiology course
Who: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org), wisconsin humane society and many other groups.

Why else?
1. 10% of these students go on to become surgeons.
2. Only 2 schools in the country still use dogs.
3. It is not research, it is practice on live animals.
4. Sometimes the dogs wake up during the procedures.
5. 4 human simulators are at the college now, available as alternatives
6. signs are provided. we just need dog-loving humans.

Questions? Email angela speed at the humane society: [email protected]

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I have an honest question.

What dogs do they use? I believe they use dogs from the kill shelter that are to be euthanized. I personally see benefit in at least some small way when these dogs are killed, if they can provide even the smallest bit of education.

They get the dogs from Ken Schroeder, a USDA Class B "random source" dog dealer based in Minnesota. He has been quoted as saying he gets the dogs from breeding them and from acquaintances (see Milwaukee Journal article by Suzanne Rust March 2006). He is also authorized to get them from shelters, flea markets, pounds, and classified ads, among other places. Some sources say they are often "failed" hunting dogs, but who knows.

I understand the confusion, though. The medical college representative said that they only get dogs meant to be euthanized, which contradicts what their dealer says.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
There are a few "breeders" who shell out puppies to places like this. They are just like a puppy mill, only the dog has a certain fate...torture until death. That's it.
There's a big Beagle breeder, or was (not sure where they are now, haven't read up on them in a while) that sells dogs to places like this. I've seen pictures of their facilities, and it is disgusting the conditions these puppies live in. And there are a LOT of puppies being kept.

Amstaffer

I'll be there, I will be on my lunch break and on my way to a doctors appointment. Won't stay long but I'll make an appearance.

Amstaffer

I was there! I drove by with the red car and blew my horn a bunch...then spent 10 minutes driving around looking for a parking spot.

Pretty good turn out....I would guess just over 100. The Doctor who spoke to the media was really good.

How long did you stay, I could only stay about 30 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.