Dog Grooming Muzzles?

TheRza82

Is there any type of dog muzzle out there that is made specifically for groomers so they can muzzle the dog but still be able to groom the dog's face/snout? It seems all of the muzzles out there are either cages, or nylon muzzles which cover the whole snout.

The reason I ask is because I have a 14 year old male Terrier/Llhasa mix who has gotten very, very cranky with his old age. He's completely blind in one eye, and the other eye we got laser eye surgery done but I'm not sure it brought back his full vision. Yes, I'm aware dogs usually get both eyes done but for whatever reason this vet only did one which seems odd since why would you want to put an old dog under anesthesia again? He also is slightly arthritic, he's losing some hearing, he's diabetic, just basically your typical old dog. What makes all of it worse is that he's a neurotic terrier who has hated dog grooming his whole life. He did not start snapping until only recently though.

The Groomers basically said they wouldn't allow Shadow back unless he was under sedation which is just out of the question for me. He's 14 with a whole mess of medical ailments. There is just too much risk involved plus it would took him a few days to fully recover from something like that. There are other Groomers in the area but they are all more expensive, don't do nearly as good of a job, and don't do anal sacs.

Shadow is fine with being washed, and you can groom his entire body and back legs. He just does NOT like his face or front paws being touched by anyone except me and even then he's not the biggest fan.

I've scoured the internet and there is only one muzzle I could find which would allow his face/snout to be muzzled while being groomed.

DOG GROOMING TRAINING No Bark No Bite Comfort Muzzle *M on eBay!

Shadow has to be groomed every 2-3 months or he will start shedding. His face absolutely has to be groomed as well to avoid matting and also because the hair will grow around his eyes and inhibit his vision even even more.

Shadow may be an old cranky man but he's actually still a very healthy/active dog who really enjoys his life. He still has more time left on this earth so I have to find a solution to this problem so any input/comments/tips/product/suggestions would be deeply appreciated by Shadow and I.

A picture of younger Shadow in his heyday:

B

Backward_Cinderella

The comfort muzzle is what we used at the first shop I worked at. I hate grooming around muzzles, but I'll do it to avoid having to put a dog out to groom them. I can't stand doing that, it makes me feel like I'm working on a dead animal. :(

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I've worked on cranky old terriers. It's probably less about the biting and more about the fighting for grooming is face while he's trying to bite you. Honestly your groomer probably has better things to do with their wrist than fight with your dog or worry about it being a matter of time before she's bitten by the grump.

Honestly - it is FAR safer for your dog if he's an ass to ace him (rather than full on sedation) with a good groomer rather than risk having his eyeball or lip removed by a pair of scissors because he won't hold still.

TheRza82

I've worked on cranky old terriers. It's probably less about the biting and more about the fighting for grooming is face while he's trying to bite you. Honestly your groomer probably has better things to do with their wrist than fight with your dog or worry about it being a matter of time before she's bitten by the grump.

Honestly - it is FAR safer for your dog if he's an ass to ace him (rather than full on sedation) with a good groomer rather than risk having his eyeball or lip removed by a pair of scissors because he won't hold still.
It's not because he's moving around or fighting. He just keeps on snapping, he wont even let them get close to his face for the most part. Whenever I give him eye drops or clean out his eye boogers he stays completely still, but then when I'm done is when he goes to snap.

Also, what do you mean by "acing" the dog? Do you mean giving him the tranquilizer/sedative Acepromazine? I've already looked into that and both the vet and the search results I got online said it's not very effective in dogs who are showing fear-based aggression, which has a lot to do with Shadow's behavior since he's hated going to the groomer's since he was a pup, the aggression he is showing is likely exacerbated by the fact he's blind and an old cranky neurotic Terrier.

I'd much rather try a muzzle first and maybe look for a groomer's that has a restraint system which would better restrict his movement as to avoid Shadow losing an eye.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Could you maybe get a groomer to show you how to do his face correctly? If he'll tolerate it from you without any violence and stress, that might be the safest thing for everybody involved. If he tolerates the rest of his body being groomed without any issues then he could still go in for that if you didn't want to do the whole groom yourself.

The dog doesnt have to be totally out always to be groomed, actually we only allowed light tranqs. We had quite a few that ace just took the edge off (and yes, it was fear based reactivity) and we were able to get them done that way...just depends on the dog and the groomer.

I do understand not wanting to take the chance but if he is really snapping etc yes, that is not safe at all either. I do like the suggestion of learning to do his face yourself.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I have a dog who I groom regularly who sounds just like this dog. We dope him with Ace to the point where all he can manage is a sit and a half hearted delayed snap. He keeps him safe enough in his old cranky age to keep the hair out of his good eye, keep him from biting my razor sharp scissors, and get his feet cleaned up.

I agree with others who mentioned having you do it. Frankly I wish more people with dogs like this would so they know how much roughly it's worth it to them to tip a good groomer for the trouble/risk associated with dogs like this. LOL

Seriously I'd get a couple Ace tablets and give it a try. It will make it a far more pleasant experience for everyone.

MicksMom

Comfort Muzzle - Cherrybrook

one of these maybe?

or a strip of gauze if all else fails
I'd go with the guaze. I bought a Comfort Muzzle to hold a sock over Mick's snout so he wasn't breathing in cold air in the winter (health reasons). Anyway- it would be a real PITA to try to get one of those on an uncoperative dog, especially one who doesn't like its muzzle/snout messed with to start with.

I would suggest a shoe lace or a piece of gauze you tight them in a loop tighten them on the dogs muzzle you then wrap it back around to and tight it behind the dogs head it is a lot smaller and easier to work around. You can also bow it on top of the dogs muzzle. IF you go on top of the dog's muzzle it gives you and easy way to tug it off if the dog is in distress. I used this technique when I was grooming because it was easy it cause little coverage but keeps from nipping you have to watch cause they can sometimes get it off themselves to. Also it won't look at nice because there will always be some coverage but at least the dog can still get mostly groomed.

Hope this helps some.

oh Also check your dogs teeth they can start to snap around the face if they have a sore tooth if this is a new problem he could have a tooth that is ready to fall out due to decay and it is causing him pain when touching.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Shadow has to be groomed every 2-3 months or he will start shedding.
I'd ace the dog. Would be less stressful for him than being muzzled with random things.

Also, if your dog sheds, it sheds all the time. Just smaller hairs right after grooming. Your dog doesn't all of a sudden start shedding because it's 2 months after a groom.

Members online

No members online now.