Need Help/Advice. Urgent

filarotten

Fila the love
I'm glad you found her, and took her home. Luckily she didn't get run over. Kudos to you Lizmo for helping the pup. I'm hoping for a happy ending.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Me too. But I'm trying to not get attatched if something is wrong with her and she goes to a Lab rescue or if it's so bad that she needs to be PTS (Like it or not, I won't let her suffer if the vet says it's bad).

Labyrinth

I think she was dumped. Because the place she was dumped isn't that close to a neighborhood, and I can't see this pup walking that far in her own. She's sticking to me like glue right now. Also, the place she was dumped is next to a busy highway. She's also very shy around hands. If you call her to you, she comes running over, then goes flat on the ground if you put your hand out. She's also got alot of scratches/cuts on her (they've been cleaned up tho).

Guys, geeze. I'm not doing to have the dog PTS if nothing is wrong. I do NOT have the funds for x-rays or surgery IF something is wrong. There isnt anything I can do about that. And I WILL contact a Lab rescue before I have her PTS IF something is wrong with her leg/hip.
Omg, what a face! I'm so glad you found her :)

And regarding the PTS thing, I think a few of us misinterpreted your first post. It kind of sounded like if the vet wanted to do any sort of testing, that you'd just automatically have the pup put down rather than put her in a rescue, etc. so I think some of us just panicked.

Just so everyone understands, and please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding at this point.. The pup will be brought to the vet, and if it requires expensive testing and xrays you'll not have that done and try to find a rescue. The pup will only be put down if the vet declares her terminal or something to that effect otherwise she'll be placed with someone that can get her the medical care she may need.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
\Just so everyone understands, and please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding at this point.. The pup will be brought to the vet, and if it requires expensive testing and xrays you'll not have that done and try to find a rescue. The pup will only be put down if the vet declares her terminal or something to that effect otherwise she'll be placed with someone that can get her the medical care she may need.
If the rescue will take her and do what needs to be done, yes. If they won't and no one can taker her/do what needs to be done, I will have her PTS.

Thanks Renee :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh the tail wags all the time. LOL And she's a Lab. She LOVES to dump her water over and play in it.

Doberluv

A-w-w...she's really super cute. I doubt that anything is so wrong that she'd have to be pts. A Lab rescue ought to be able to help and maybe a vet will take care of her pro bono since no one apparently owns her. (?) I can't imagine losing a puppy that young. It does seem like she was dumped. But who knows? Good luck. Kudos to you for saving her.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Well, dad said he saw a house off the road, back in the woods with a black female dog walking around. So we went and check it out - the man said he didn't loose a dog. That was about our only hope. No one in our neighborhood knows the pup.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. This is very hard. I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with her legs and she runs, jumps, sits, squats, etc fine. I think she might have been abused because she was VERY VERY hand shy when I first picked her up. Now she LOVES my family.

I think I might keep her a week and see if there are any lost ads in the paper.

If I take her to a vet what will they do? I just want to make sure she's healthy to be around my dogs.

T

tessa_s212

Vets are a business and they can't always give free services. My advice is to go ahead and get a check up to make sure she's okay and a first set of vaccs, then put her up for adoption yourself (assuming you can't find a rescue willing to help).

Also, do be sure to spread the word that there's an available pup on lab forums. Just google Labrador Retriever Forums and there are a few excellent ones out there. Others may even be able to take her on, foster, and adopt her out for you.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Wonder if there are any more pups out there..I hope not. GOod luck with your foundling.

Bailey08

Omg, she's flipping adorable!!! I just love puppies.

Please keep us updated. And please check in with us before putting her to sleep -- I may be able to help.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
She's not getting PTS. LOL

I'm pretty sure it was just nerves/shyness/scared the first day when she was acting like that. She was even froggin' tonight with her back legs.

She's got some ant bites on her stomach it seems like, all fleas are dead, but she's still got a few sores on her neck area.

Smkie, I went back to where I found her to see if there were more pups and I haven't seen any yet. I really think it was a dump :mad:

Bailey08

No need for the snarky LOL, as I was just trying to help. You said just yesterday that you still may have to put her to sleep, and I would appreciate it if you would check in first since, as I said, I may be able to help.

At any rate, I am thrilled that she seems to be doing better.

She's not getting PTS. LOL

I'm pretty sure it was just nerves/shyness/scared the first day when she was acting like that. She was even froggin' tonight with her back legs.

She's got some ant bites on her stomach it seems like, all fleas are dead, but she's still got a few sores on her neck area.

Smkie, I went back to where I found her to see if there were more pups and I haven't seen any yet. I really think it was a dump :mad:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My internet was out most of the afternoon.

No snarky from me. But read my other posts and you will see that I've all ready covered the whole PTS thing.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Thanks Renee. But I think she'll be going to the HS I like in Dothan. Last night was terrible. I was up every 2 hours with her, and I'm back in school now, and I just can't do that. I don't have the time or energy to keep this up. I'm really sad, as I wanted to wait and see if she could get in a Lab rescue, but I can't. I haven't slept but probably 8 hours since finding her. And my own dogs are suffering because she needs my attetion all the time.

Members online