Recommend me a breed, please?

Sandra

Just for fun right now, but I will be looking into finding a suitable breed for me in the near future.

Some preferences:

-A larger breed. I've owned a Great Dane and a English Mastiff before, so I love larger dogs. The smallest I'd prefer to really go is about the size of a GSD, but I may make exceptions if a smaller, medium-size breed is a perfect fit for me.

-Not a huge shedder. Average shedding is fine, but I don't want to find large clumps of fur all over my house.

-No slobber, or minimal, if any.

-Exercise would be one long walk (about an hour)/visit to the dog park a day, with shorter (15 min.) walks throughout the day. I don't have a fenced yard. I would like a companion to take on nature walks or light hiking on some weekends.

-Would like a breed that is rather calm indoors. I don't want a breed that's super high energy that will jump all over visitors.

-I don't have kids, but I plan to start a family in the next 4 years. So a breed that will do well with family and children. I don't have any other pets, but I would prefer a breed that will be friendly with other dogs.

-I don't have a preference on grooming. There are many reputable groomers in my area and I can always make time for grooming appointments or regular brushing. A low-maintenance coat is fine too. I'm not picky about grooming requirements.

That's all I can think of for now. Will update if needed. Thanks! :)

milos_mommy

A retired racing greyhound sounds perfect for you! Some of them can have prey drive towards smaller dogs in a dog park, but if you're careful when small dogs come into the big dog area you should be fine. You can also get a dog that's "washed out" of racing, meaning their prey drive wasn't high enough to chase a lure, so that would be a great option if a dog park will be a major part of exercise.

noludoru

Bored Now.
She beat me to it! GREYHOUND! Sounds like a perfect fit, especially a big male. They get very tall.

Members online

No members online now.