When a stranger knows your dog better than you...

mrose_s

BusterLove
"She'll go blind in that blue eye"
"yeah... I don't think so."
"No, she will. The sun gets in and does it, it's very sad"
"well... I'll deal with that when it happens I guess"

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
No one has ever mistaken my Labs for anything, but, well, Labs. Lol Rose was often questioned as, "Lab and...?" Chloe is called a Border Collie more often than not, or just collie. Which is pretty darn close.

A FedEx guy thought Loupie, the Malamute, was a viscious man eating wolf. As she smiled and wagged her tail at him.

Ever since I started cutting Cooper in a Schnauzer cut everyone thinks he's a Schnauzer. Which I find amusing, as he is silver and tan. Lol
Nobody knows what Cynder is, but they want one just like her.

Red Chrome

LoLa is a Boxer. She has to be cause this guy bred them and he knows what one looks like. I was dumbfounded. He got all butthurt that I spayed her cause she would have made pretty pups with his males. I was like...."really???"

Judge is a coyote/wolfX. This guy had one before and he knows!!!

My personal favorite.

LoLa was doing some OB on the schutzhund field. We train in a public park and thus we do have a lot of public people asking questions. A guy and his wife/GF? approached my club members who were watching LoLa and I. The guy asks them what kind of dog LoLa is, they told him APBT. His girlfriend says she was too pretty to be one of "THOSE" dogs. Then her bf/husband says, she is too well behaved to be one of "THOSE" dogs. I came over shortly after that and they were ohhing and ahhing over her about how she couldn't be one of "THOSE" dogs, she was too sweey,pretty,nice etc. They asked me, "What is she, really?" I replied, "Gremlin". They left wondering where they could find the rare Gremlin breed. I told them they are mostly nocturnal and you have to really search for a breeder and find just the right ones and whatever you do, NEVER bathe it! Idiots. plain idiots.

Pops2

my biggest problems came from vet techs, shelter volunteers & rescue personell who all swore Jack was a pure "pit bull." when prompted to clarify they would say APBT. after a 30 min lecture on my history, pit bulldogs & matching and cur dogs, some of them would claim they were going to go look up catahoula on the computer.
Sonic has to be part wolf because only wolves can have yellow eyes.
asshats, i just don't get how people can wallow in ignorance and argue so vehemenantly on it's behalf.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Did you know Border Collies are the only breed of dog in the world that you don't have to train? Yep! They're so smart they just *come* well behaved.

Or that Border Collies are really actually a mix of Collies and Shelties? They make them that in between size so that they can herd smaller cows.

Or that all dogs with blue eyes are deaf, blind and not very smart? It doesn't even matter if you've had them CERF'd and BAER tested, because those tests don't work on blue eyed dogs.

Tazwell

Without asking what Fleetwood is, rottie people see him and start going on about their rotts or experiences with rotts. Dobe people start going on about their old dobes and such. I hardly ever correct them anymore.

Most People that do ask, don't believe that beauceron is a real breed, or they try to convince me that I bought a Doberman mix.

On a side note, I had somebody seriously ask me a few weeks ago "Beautiful dog! German shepherd/Dalmatian mix?"

..... uh, what???

I usually don't correct people when they are wrong unless they ask. I can't believe how many people don't know a Doberman when they see one though.

A few weeks ago I was taking Avril for a walk and some guy asked me if she was a puppy. Then he told me how small she was and that my breeder ripped me off. When I told him that I was her breeder and she was an AKC champion/best in specialty show winner, he told me that those things meant nothing and Dobermans HAD to be at least 100 pounds???

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie is a "mini sheltie." First of all, THERE'S NO SUCH THING. Second, um, no, he's well within the standard size. So is Georgie for that matter but my mom doesn't take her out in public like I do Auggie or I'm sure we'd get that with her too. =P

Also sigh, miniature collie.

People think Payton is huge. Pretty sure if he was fat instead of skinny nobody would think that, but because he's not also as big around as he is tall, he's HUGE.

SaraB

I find it interesting that whenever I'm at an AKC event with purebred people, they feel the need to classify Lucy as a specific breed. They want me to admit that she is part border collie, or part pointer, or part sheltie, or whatever their opinion is. It seems to frustrate a lot of breed people that I don't know what she is and won't immediately accept what they say as gospel.
Hahahaha! This!! People cannot accept my answer of "Zuma was found as a stray so I don't really know what she is". If I say she's a mix, they sit there and stare at me uncomfortably waiting for what type of mix. "Your guess is as good as mine" generally gets a few odd answers. Didn't you know she's a husky/chihuahua?

MicksMom

Without asking what Fleetwood is, rottie people see him and start going on about their rotts or experiences with rotts. Dobe people start going on about their old dobes and such...
I have to admit, the first time I saw a Beauceron, I assumed it was a badly bred Rott pup. In my defense, tho, that was 20 years ago, and I had only seen them in books. When the owner told me what her puppy was, she was surprised I had heard of them. I just never expected to see one out in the boonies of NJ.

Years ago I had a guy insist Mick was an albino Lab. No matter how many times I told him, "No, he's a very light yellow Lab mix" and explained about dudley Labs, he kept saying, "No, he's an albino because he has a red nose."

Then there's Caleb. Yes, I've actually had people ask if he is a Lab. Hard to believe, isn't it? I understood when he was a little puppy- yellow Lab & Golden puppies can be hard to tell apart at times. It seems, tho, that around here, it's only a purebred Lab if it's 3 feet tall, 90+ pounds and has a huge head. The best, tho, was when we were at a town festival and a kid told me he had a Pitbull at home that looked exactly like mine. :lol-sign:

ETA- when we had the Siberian/Husky mix we got the standard "OMG- a wolfdog!" reactions. Especially from kids at camp who were from the inner cities.

Last edited:

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie is a baby pit bull according to lots of folks despite that she's 4 and looks nothing like a pit bull. Or she must not be purebred as she's too tall and fit to be a Pug.

I really only had one guy (an older gentleman) who was really adamant about knowing better than me. He insisted that Cricket was a Saluki, and the only way I could exercise her was biking with her - nothing else was good enough. He was a nice guy so I just kind of went along with it.

adojrts

my biggest problems came from vet techs, shelter volunteers & rescue personell who all swore Jack was a pure "pit bull." when prompted to clarify they would say APBT. after a 30 min lecture on my history, pit bulldogs & matching and cur dogs, some of them would claim they were going to go look up catahoula on the computer.
Sonic has to be part wolf because only wolves can have yellow eyes.
asshats, i just don't get how people can wallow in ignorance and argue so vehemenantly on it's behalf.[/QUOTE]

lol no kidding.

I had Sprout in a pet store, kids see her want to pet the puppy. I told them she wasn't a puppy, she was over a year old, the father then corrects me. I told him, I've had her for over a year, she came from a friend's litter, I saw her for the first time when she was 12 hours old, she is also a reg'd dog. Nope I was shafted and lied to, that is a puppy......................I walk away, you can't argue with idiots that don't listen lmao.

Assamiea

A lot of people assume that Baxter is a poodle because his coat is curly. I had one lady tell me that the breeder had ripped me off because there's no such breed as a Bichon. He's also been labelled as a bunch of poodle mixes because apparently he's "too cute to be a purebred, he must be one of those cute mixes".

A lot of people have told me that Rocky must be a mix because he's too big for a Yorkie. According to one guy, "all purebred Yorkie's are under 3 lbs".

ACooper

Wow....some of your stories are just.......WOW.

Like all of you, I don't mind someone being mistaken but I don't expect you to argue about MY dog.

As I tell Orson.....LEAVE IT. LOL

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Or that Border Collies are really actually a mix of Collies and Shelties? They make them that in between size so that they can herd smaller cows.
:rofl1::rofl1:

Okay, this is the best one!

I really feel lucky now. When I tell people I have a Belgian Laekenois, they go "A belgian what?" And that's pretty much it.

Members online

No members online now.