Pet Insurance and my very sick dog.

ltk202

Hi, my dog Bagel has been going to the vet (3rd visit within the last week) because she has been really sick. The vets really don't know what's wrong with her, and since we had to take her to 2 different vets (one is our normal vet, the other an emergency vet since our normal hosipital was closed). Both are doing the same tests on her, keeping her overnight, and the such, and it's costing more than $1500 altogether.

Now, my mom is considering getting pet insurance, and I don't know if it's a good idea or not after searching the forums and finding some troubling answers considering VPI. Bagel's bills are going to add up more and more since she doesn't seem to be getting better after her first visit. My family has been paying the bills, but they are worrying that Bagel's trips to the vet are adding up to be too much.

So would pet insurance be a good idea? I don't want to have my family getting scammed out of any type of deal, but at the same time I don't want Bagel to be sick for somethign that could have been cured with that one extra trip to the vet.

bubbatd

I looked into insurance many years ago and figured what I would pay out over the years would be more than I could collect for in the long run . It was a roll of the dice. I haven't looked into it lately, but I feel at this point it might cost you too much with being an exsisting illness. I really don't understand why your vet wouldn't accept the the emergency tests for you. I would talk to them. This sounds like overcharge to me....but I'm glad you and your Mom are getting the help for Bagel. Please keep us posted !!! We care !

Hi, I dont know what insurance companies are like in the states, but I know here in the UK they dont cover pre-existing conditions. So if you were hoping they'd pay for Bagels bills in the future, they wouldn't. Unless it was for a completely different illness/condition.

Cidney

The pet insurance will most likely ask for your vets name and number to inquire about pre-existing conditions or request you take him for a check up to see if there are any before they decide on coverage - I know because i was in a similar situation with a dog I had 5 years ago and racked up a huge bill ($10,000) on my credit card.

I might suggest you check to see if the area you live in has any universitys that offer vet care. My dog was experiencing chronic bladder stone problems, went through 3 surgerys and the vets could not figure out what to do with him because the stones kept coming back time after time. I was referred by a vet to take my dog to Texas A&M University that had vet care program. They found the cause of the problem immediately but was too late to do anything, my regular vet and the others I took him to were treating the symptoms and not the problem. If you want, let me know and I will be glad to help you to see if there is such a thing wear you live. I could call Texas A&M and see if they know about other vet programs in other state Universities.

showpug

Pet Insurance won't cover any conditions or trips to the vet that your dog had/has before you purchase your insurance. May be a smart move for the future, but anything related to her current condition and past vet bills will not be covered. :(

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
After being ripped off badly and at the verge of giving up Rocky due to a lack of money, one of the bunch of vet hospitals I looked into was a university and they told me straight that they charge just as much as any other vet and that they're not any different. In fact, they charged a lot more than most. Then, I stumbled upon one of the best vets ever...

Great veterinarians... very nice, smart, and they all loved Rocky. The pricing was absolutely amazing! Our last visit for just a regular shot at my old vet... $90... the final vaccination shot at my new vet... $8.

It is about 35 minutes away but well worth it.

Cidney

You are right BigDog, I did fail to mention the Universities are not free nor cheaper but the main thing I had in mind is maybe they can find what is wrong with Bagle since the other vet cant seem to.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
in Kansas city we have a humane society clinic that is non profit..without them i wouldn't be able to keep my dogs. The office visits are only 10 dollars instead of 50 and the procedures are far cheaper. Shop around, it sounds to me like you are being ripped off. Is it possible she could have swallowed something or been bit by something..the swollen eyelids, fever, and hair loss sound like an allergic reaction to me but i could be wrong.

ltk202

Well the vet says that she has to see a nuerologist, they have a feeling that she could have some sort of menengitis or something. Her fever is going up and down, puffy eyelids, and seems very weak.

My dad doesn't want to pay for any of this, and seems to want to put her to sleep. I have no job right now (I'm just turning 19 next week) and I'm willing to pay for the rest of the vet bills since no one else in my family seems to care as much. Moneys just been getting to be too much of a hassle right now, but I'm not willing to put her down.

bubbatd

Geez ! That's the pits !! know where they are coming from and you !! I'm so sorry,,,please post more...we care !

ltk202

$2,000 for a spine tap, blood test, and the such because Bagel has symptoms of a little bit of everything. It's been getting real rough, but my dad is willing to pay for it. It's difficult to pay that much money for a procedure that may or may not find the problem as to what is making Bagel sick, because if they don't know what the problem is then we may have no other choice.

=(

Members online

No members online now.