The things they don't tell you

So this afternoon I though Darby smelled a little ripe. It's been wet here for the last two days, but this seemed like more than just wet dog. A brief once-over revealed what looked like a ball of poop hanging off her backside. Geez. It's been at least three hours since she pooped. So I take her to the bathroom where I figure I'll just grab the dangling doo doo off with a hunk of toilet paper.

Only it doesn't come off. Rather it smashes into the fur like peanut butter. Darby seems to care not a bit, but I'm thinking the wife won't care for it at all should she notice...and how could she not. So I get a warm washcloth (one of the wife's special face cloths I think...better not mention it) and try to clean Darby's rear. But of course the warm water merely smeared it worse.

So finally (after hiding the washcloth) I call the wife in and while she holds Darby under her arm like a football, I go behind and use a pair of her scissors (eyelash scissors or something...I'm guessing she'll be buying new ones) and cut the sticky and poop-matted fur away from her little bottom. Darby's bottom I mean.

So before bringing Darby home I read a number of books, some good, some not so good. But in none of them was there a chapter about (or even a brief reference to) cutting poop smeared fur away from your puppy's butt with cosmetic scissors.

What else is coming that they haven't told me about?

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
SHIH-TZU lol get it ? I have two and have had several others. I call them pancakes because after the dog has sat that is what they become. For keeping their hair long you use wrappers. this is exactly why mine are short haired and shaved there. It is a nasty job and one I do not care for .

Herschel

So this afternoon I though Darby smelled a little ripe. It's been wet here for the last two days, but this seemed like more than just wet dog. A brief once-over revealed what looked like a ball of poop hanging off her backside. Geez. It's been at least three hours since she pooped. So I take her to the bathroom where I figure I'll just grab the dangling doo doo off with a hunk of toilet paper.

Only it doesn't come off. Rather it smashes into the fur like peanut butter. Darby seems to care not a bit, but I'm thinking the wife won't care for it at all should she notice...and how could she not. So I get a warm washcloth (one of the wife's special face cloths I think...better not mention it) and try to clean Darby's rear. But of course the warm water merely smeared it worse.

So finally (after hiding the washcloth) I call the wife in and while she holds Darby under her arm like a football, I go behind and use a pair of her scissors (eyelash scissors or something...I'm guessing she'll be buying new ones) and cut the sticky and poop-matted fur away from her little bottom. Darby's bottom I mean.

So before bringing Darby home I read a number of books, some good, some not so good. But in none of them was there a chapter about (or even a brief reference to) cutting poop smeared fur away from your puppy's butt with cosmetic scissors.

What else is coming that they haven't told me about?

We had to do that with Herschel!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Wait until one day she has diarrhea and her whole backside is one cakey, smelly mess. Or she steps in soft poo and you have to clean out her pads. Then there are the things she may vomit up or poop out that will leave you wondering "When did I leave a box of crayons out?"

Just learn to roll your eyes and take it in stride! Also, get her used to having her face wiped/washed now. That Wheaten beard she will soon grow is awesome at picking up a massive amount of water that will drip all over the place as she walks away from her dish; food as well. And so far many Wheatens I've met LOVE the water...but they get kind of smelly when they get wet in anything besides bath water.

When we eventually visit the groomer, I'm thinking of asking for the "6 inch Telly Savalas" under the tail. Is that wrong?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
all the dogs we own are long-semi long hiar and every one of them gets a 2 monthly "sanitary" trim for just that reason.

charlie the cocker gets it as part of his cocker cut but the long haired chis are typically left natural haired except for the occasional trim so i opt for the sanitary...its MUCH easier

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
ROFLMAO!! This is TOO funny.
At least the wife can even hold her (at this point) under her arm like a football while you go about barbering her behind (the puppy's I mean :D ).

I have to hold onto a 76 lbs Collie with thick, long "pants" on his behind and make sure not only his butt, but his tail is free of any type of dangling doo-doo. Chloe is a female and still a puppy but she's getting there too at 56 lbs and growing more fur every day.

Keeping them clipped around "the" area is very helpful under the tail.
Happy Tails to ya. :lol-sign:

bubbatd

I've never had problems with dangling doo except when it's attached to licked hairs .

On a related not...OK, it's not related at all but it doesn't deserve a new thread...I was picking up my daughter at gymnastics tonight and as I was standing there waiting with the other parents I kept thinking I was smelling something. Like me maybe. I checked my shoes. Nothing. Nothing on my pants or anything. Did the other parents smell it? Had I picked up so much dog poop in the last 5 days that I was just permeated with the stench? Do all puppy owners smell like this?

The in a moment of horror and recognition I reached into my coat pocket, and there it was...a baggie full of puppy turds that I'd picked up several hours earlier.

This has happened to someone else, right?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Can't say that has, but more often than not I try to hand over training treats as change.

Herschel

On a related not...OK, it's not related at all but it doesn't deserve a new thread...I was picking up my daughter at gymnastics tonight and as I was standing there waiting with the other parents I kept thinking I was smelling something. Like me maybe. I checked my shoes. Nothing. Nothing on my pants or anything. Did the other parents smell it? Had I picked up so much dog poop in the last 5 days that I was just permeated with the stench? Do all puppy owners smell like this?

The in a moment of horror and recognition I reached into my coat pocket, and there it was...a baggie full of puppy turds that I'd picked up several hours earlier.

This has happened to someone else, right?
Wow. That's never happened to me. Haha..

Members online

No members online now.