Dock diving help?

SaraB

We took Zinga to the indoor pool this weekend to see if she would jump because she's registered in her first dock diving event this weekend. Well, she had no problem jumping but would consistently jump flat. I tried by Dex's suggestion to but her leash down to give her something visual to jump over and she just ran around it or ran over it without a hesitation. I tried throwing the toy out there first and then releasing her as well as the sit stay and toss while she is running. All flat. Like no arch at all.

Here is a video, now I realize the throw in this video sucks because it's late and really high, but this was how she was jumping even when the throw was on time and the right height. As well as the set toy.

Is there anything I can do differently? Any drills or jump exercises? For a dog like this is it best to throw the toy as they are running or to set it out there? Will jumping from a higher "dock" help, or is she going to belly flop there too? Help! I have no clue what I'm doing here!

[YOUTUBE]lRr9DY2OU6Q[/YOUTUBE]

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Yup, toy targeting is how you get a pop. Start on the flat and offer the toy, encourage her to pop up and grab it, don't tease, she needs to be confident she can nab it. Then start working downs with your back to her and the toy low, around your knee, release and when she's almost to you pop the toy in the air where she can successfully grab it ahead of you. Repeat this off the dock, successfully grabs will add confidence in the pop and distance as well as excitement.

With your disc background this should go very quickly. :) (if that's too rushed I can try to break it down)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I had a lot of luck with using some Linda Mecklenburg one jump foundation stuff to help Aeri's pop in addition to the toy focus Adrianne mentions.

And of course confidence/experience will also do wonders for many initially flat jumpers.

SaraB

Yup, toy targeting is how you get a pop. Start on the flat and offer the toy, encourage her to pop up and grab it, don't tease, she needs to be confident she can nab it. Then start working downs with your back to her and the toy low, around your knee, release and when she's almost to you pop the toy in the air where she can successfully grab it ahead of you. Repeat this off the dock, successfully grabs will add confidence in the pop and distance as well as excitement.

With your disc background this should go very quickly. :) (if that's too rushed I can try to break it down)
She's got mad hops in disc, so ya, this should be easy! I'll play with it today. Thanks!!

DJEtzel

It really wasn't *too* bad of a jump, but I can see what you're saying.

Keep in mind that a real dock for competition is a few feet off the water as well and not so close. I don't know if that may have anything to do with how she's jumping.

As for fixing it, my trainer worked with Frag and I a lot last summer, and we would do exercises where we stayed at the end of the dock (by the water) and engaged him in tug with a ball and then popped it UP very easily off the end for him to jump UP after. Sometimes dogs get too much drive in actually JUMPING and don't pay attention to their reward until they hit the water. So staying at the end of the dock with no momentum calms them down a little and lets them focus on the actual reward more so that they can follow it up, but it is REALLY all about the throw. A nice arc up, not out of site and in front of where they'll be jumping. It's really complex for such an easy sport!

We've only been jumping for two years though, and have really never had this problem, so I don't have much other help, but good luck at your event!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Also practice with a soft ball and a bucket. It will mimic a bumper weight and help your throw. My throw is still very inconsistent but a good throw gets 24 feet and a bad one gets 14 from Backup, it's a world of difference. I get teased nonstop by dock dog friend.

Sloan jumps just to jump. No toy target, and doesn't alter with the throw but everyone says if Denis would get her to target he could add three feet and put her in prime competition, however it's low on his priorities and she won't jump for me apparently, bitch.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Can't I just throw a disc?? :rofl1:
Oh are you using a disc? You can but god forbid you're in finals and a gust of wind kicks up. We had a killer disc dog pit bull in socal that would sometimes drop from 24(ish 26 was too high) to 19 feet when the wind twisted the disc. Even wubbas are less effective than a flappy or a bumper but it depends on what she'll jump best for.

SaraB

Oh are you using a disc? You can but god forbid you're in finals and a gust of wind kicks up. We had a killer disc dog pit bull in socal that would sometimes drop from 24(ish 26 was too high) to 19 feet when the wind twisted the disc. Even wubbas are less effective than a flappy or a bumper but it depends on what she'll jump best for.
LOL! No, I was just joking. I'm using the bumper I used in the video.

I was just saying because I can throw our disc dog discs so much better than anything that it would be nice to use that! Not much of an edge if I was a floatable disc, I would still have to learn to throw it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
@Adrianne -- Tell Dennis he could be worse... I just chucked it to the end of the pool then released lol. Bad human. We've only competed that once though... I'd like to do it again (and goodness knows Mira would...she loves it to ridiculous levels... hopefully this summer. We just don't have much of that around here.

That said I'm no help, sorry. Mira jumps just to jump. Probably could use more pop...I'm told she has a lot more to give if I teach her but... Kinda busy with other things :/

All I can hear in my own head while reading this thread is:

SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER NOW

And that Zinga better now get used to being able to not only go to a pool but visit an ocean in winter. She's going to be so upset next winter.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Hahaha, really for us it's just a for fun. We were lucky to have naturally good jumpers in a very active dock diving area so we got a great start but as far as priorities it's way down there for us.

I would love to get Backup in a few more speed retrieve competitions this summer though, he really excels there, and Sloan does well at vertical so that would be fun to see at a competition.

It's a really fun sport with a fantastic community aspect for the most part though and I do love it.

I don't know where it is but one of my favorite photos has Sloan jumping and the bumper is in the sky, like at a the sun, he's hilariously bad at throwing and doesn't give a ****. :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
All I can hear in my own head while reading this thread is:

SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER NOW

And that Zinga better now get used to being able to not only go to a pool but visit an ocean in winter. She's going to be so upset next winter.
We need a private Chaz beach complete with docks for snowbirding ... :)

Members online

No members online now.