ways to calm a car hating dog?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
what is something natural that we can give Badger to help calm him that we dont have to go to a vet to get. If there is such a thing.

We are going camping this weekend and I have to take him with me since no one will be home all weekend. And Badger does not like traveling at all. He does not freak out or anything just gets nervouse, whines alot, wont settle down ect...

Or any pointers to help make traveling for him as less stressfull as possible.

Amanda885

if there are others in the car, have them calm him down by playing with a toy, give him a treat, pet him, keep him occupied so he is not focused on the actual car ride. How long do you have to drive?

good luck! just keep him distracted somehow. hope he feels better about car rides soon!

Snark

Mutts to you
Wear him out beforehand so he sleeps? Maybe try Rescue Remedy?

Sorry, not a lot of help but at least he doesn't upchuck all over the place like Mick...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Start out slow just getting in...treats and or ttouch get out...until getting in the car is fun. Then starting it..and not going anywhere but keeping it up....then slowly taking it for a short trip and then lengthening it out. Calming exercises combined with a calming word could be used once you get in the car..using the calming word to help trigger the response you worked on at home. That is what I would do.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
No suggestions for you..

But who the heck is badger? I thought you only had a teagan :S haha, peektures?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It has taken my Mother's dog a long time to get use to cars. He would lock his legs in like the car was about to shoot right out from under him. He stressed and he vomited.
We used medicine to ward off the car sickness but the rest was just a matter of slowly getting him use to it. Now he jumps in quite happily to go on a date to Petco with me. He isn't wahoo yippie like Victor and Pepper about it, but he isn't afraid either. It took him a long time. In teh beginning we just went around the block. I always made sure that when he did go with me we stopped and did something exciting. Stop and look at the ducks at the lake, get a hamburger, something pleasant.

Maura

I've had two dogs who didn't like car rides. Like you describe, not freaky, but obviously ill at ease. As smkie, suggested, take smaller steps. I would use his normal meal to use in training, putting a portion right next to the car to see if he is nervous that close, then feed him all of his food, doled out into small portions (like six) in the car. This would give you 12 opportunities for a positive association with the car over the next two days. I would also take him on little trips, like the end of the driveway, then to the corner, around the block etc., using nice bone to chew on as a distraction. The chewing will help with the nausea (he may not throw up, but feel unbalanced while the car is moving, especially stopping). On the trip, I would bring a treat dispensing toy with his kibble in it, and a bone. Don't let anyone hold on to him.

I don't know how big your dog is, but if he's small, putting him in a crate may make him feel more secure.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Ben used to projectile vomit every time he got in the car, so count yourself lucky! LOL!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If you have access to another dog that enjoys car rides, a good mood is infectious. You might try teaming them up for short fun rides for burgers or ice cream or a fun place. Singing a calming song, gentle talk while having someone else ride with you so they can work ttouch into it would work.

Victor was scared of everything when I first got him from his rescuer. Ttouch made immense difference to help calm him. It is well worth investigating. You can find some videos on utube, Rescue Ink has shown this in one of their episodes but I don't remember which one. A calming wrap like the kind you use for storms might help as well. You can't use it just for car rides however....you have to start using it in the home for short periods so they won't associate the wrap with the car or storm. If you can't afford a wrap, a t-shirt tied snug but not tight might do the same thing.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We tried all the natural routes when it came to Romeo and his fear/car sickness

we ended up with half a dramamine 30 minutes before the car ride. Now he doesnt get sick, hes relaxed, but it doesn't knock him out or anything.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I used dramimine for Mr Shaffer as well to calm the sick part of it...but it didn't help his thinking that somehow the car was going to slip up from under him.:rolleyes:

GipsyQueen

We have the same problem. Gipsy won't shut up in the car, and on long car rides or in traffic its a pain in the ars. What mildy works though, it warm beer. Or Rescue Remedy. Gipsy seems to have become immune to the rescue remedy though.
So what we do, is we cook beer, bring it to a boil to get the alchohol out (don't smell it, it reeks) and then let it cool until its luke warm. She drinks it, and is usually calm and sleepy within the next half hour.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if this is a repeat. I just read an article that suggested soaking a cotton ball with lavender and putting it in the car about half an hour before the dog needs to be in the car and then taking it out when the dog is ready to go into the car.

Also, a nice , good romp beforehand would be beneficial, too! Best of luck to you.

milos_mommy

Nutracalm. It's got catnip, valarian root, and other herbs and stuff in it that will relax him.

Benedryl would also probably work.

milos_mommy

nutracalm is a pet product. Call your vet to ask how much. I give Milo like less than 1/8 a teaspoon, he's about 18 lbs. We gave my eskie (32 lbs) between 1/8 and 1/4 a teaspoon.

Bailey08

I think Smkie's route is best if you have the time.

Bailey hated the car when he was a puppy, and he puked every time he had to take a car trip. I didn't have consistent enough access to a car at the time (I used Zipcar), plus he would throw up even during super short rides. I tried lavender essential oil (a few drops on a cloth I'd put in the car) and DAP collars (you could also try a DAP spray) (I still use these when needed for his anxiety).

B ended up having to get over it when we drove 13 hrs, poor boy. But after that, he was fine in the car -- and came to love it, since it usually meant going to daycare or going to visit family.

Members online

No members online now.