Dog Insurance?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I'm not sure if this is a Canadian based site or not, but I was wondering if any Canadians on the board have pet insurance and which agency you went through to get it and which package you felt was most useful to use. Also, have you ever had to claim any insurance at all due to accident or what have you?

I'm looking into getting pet insurance for Riot. Right now he is covered for another 5 weeks from the breeders pet insurance and then he has heriditary insurance for up to 5 years from the breeder. So if he develops hip problems, or eye problems. The vet bills are covered by the breeder type thing.

I contemplated getting insurance since I'm a dogsled racer and reality sits that it can be a dangerous sport for all participants (dogs can get into fights amongst themselves, entanglements between teams, breaking through ice, etc) however being a highschool student I simply cn't afford to lose all that money if nothing ever happens to OC. So instead what I did was opened a savings account and put in a little bit of money once in a while as if paying an insurance company. Through interest, my davings end up growing and if an emergency happens I can take out what I need, and if nothing ever happens I haven't lost a dime but in fact have GAINED.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Thats a good way of looking at it for sure eh.

Ever since I got Riot, he had "his own" bank account. All his money is in my savings account.. lol hes got more money then I do! hahaha j/k!

I always like to keep about $1000 in there for emergencies though.

I never really thought about it that way. Good point ;)

Members online

No members online now.