I should not venture onto other forums but...

Paige

Let it be
Holier-than-thou people drive me nuts. You are talking to human beings. Treat them like such. Just because someone does something a bit different doesn't make them the enemy.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Holier-than-thou people drive me nuts. You are talking to human beings. Treat them like such. Just because someone does something a bit different doesn't make them the enemy.
I find a lot of those people here.

In response to the original question, it doesn't. But most people creating a new "breed" are just throwing together a random yorkie with a random poodle and selling the offspring to the first person who shows up with $500. Done deal, never see the dog again or care that it's being fixed or responsibly handled, or that its clogging up a shelter somewhere.

The issue, just like with any breed, new or old, is BYB's, not the type of dog being bred.

I personally take zero issue with creating new breeds, provided it's done responsibly.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
In response to the original question, it doesn't. But most people creating a new "breed" are just throwing together a random yorkie with a random poodle and selling the offspring to the first person who shows up with $500. Done deal, never see the dog again or care that it's being fixed or responsibly handled, or that its clogging up a shelter somewhere.

The issue, just like with any breed, new or old, is BYB's, not the type of dog being bred.

I personally take zero issue with creating new breeds, provided it's done responsibly.
Bolded for emphasis. That they are not breeding an established breed is beside the point. Shoddy breeding practices are shoddy breeding practices, whether you have random strays or matching show champions.

MicksMom

...I tend to overlap my standards for dog breeders with breeders of other species though. I was looking at a mini rex rabbit breeder's site a few months ago and was surprised an annoyed to discover they don't take their rabbits back if you can no longer care for them...
I might have just gotten lucky, then. My Mini Rex's breeder will take them back. She also takes other rabbits if she has the space.

Shakou

I did. :eek:

Can someone explain to me how creating new breeds affects shelter overpopulation? lol

I am apparently just wrong for saying... it doesn't.

Remind me again why do I venture onto other forums. (Oh yeah it was because chaz was blocked at work lol)
You know, I'm glad you said this, because I've come across this on other forums as well and have felt the same way, but have bitten my tongue out of fear of the backlash I may get for stating so. I don't see anything wrong with creating a new breed, so long as the person doing so is doing it knowledgeably and responsibly.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Take a tour of a yorkie forum... It is scary.

People just breeding there dogs all willy nilly and everybody Is okay with it.

And GOD FORBID you talk about training! "What? training?! but, she's a yorkie, its okay if she/he barks at other people and other dogs and full on tries to attach, shes small and precious and so fragile and would never/could never do anybody any harm because she's mommy's widdle cuddle bum, cutie patootie "

and the "ZOMG YOU PUT A COLLAR ON YOUR YORKIE?!?, you're killing her you know. Her throat is going to collapse and die. "

I legit posted a couple pictures of keely playing in the yard on a tieout attached to a collar and oh my god the attacking. I imagine some people were actually sitting in front of their computers either holing pitchforks or calling PETA.

And over there, its okay to just mix a yorkie with whatever breed you see fit.

The yorkie boards actually sicken me to my stomach. It is no wonder people look at my amazing little dog like she is about to explode and kill everybody around her. Yorkie people give these dogs a bad name, they do nothing to help the breed or its reputation AT ALL.

Anyways yea.. ENDRANT/ sorry guys :p

JacksonsMom

Take a tour of a yorkie forum... It is scary.

People just breeding there dogs all willy nilly and everybody Is okay with it.

And GOD FORBID you talk about training! "What? training?! but, she's a yorkie, its okay if she/he barks at other people and other dogs and full on tries to attach, shes small and precious and so fragile and would never/could never do anybody any harm because she's mommy's widdle cuddle bum, cutie patootie "

and the "ZOMG YOU PUT A COLLAR ON YOUR YORKIE?!?, you're killing her you know. Her throat is going to collapse and die. "

I legit posted a couple pictures of keely playing in the yard on a tieout attached to a collar and oh my god the attacking. I imagine some people were actually sitting in front of their computers either holing pitchforks or calling PETA.

And over there, its okay to just mix a yorkie with whatever breed you see fit.

The yorkie boards actually sicken me to my stomach. It is no wonder people look at my amazing little dog like she is about to explode and kill everybody around her. Yorkie people give these dogs a bad name, they do nothing to help the breed or its reputation AT ALL.

Anyways yea.. ENDRANT/ sorry guys :p
The first thing hasn't been my experience there... most people get VERY up in arms about breeding mixes etc. There is a breeder there now who has always been well respected and she is just now starting to breed mixes and people flipped out. I didn't post for months because I was just getting so annoyed by most people lol. I just started again and I'm already ready to just stop haha.

But yeah everything else. I feel like it's often taken to the extreme. You learn how to post and how not to post, that's for sure. Which is a shame.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Pug forums are just terrible.

If you don't rescue you're awful.
If its sunny and warm out an you exercise your pug you're awful.
If you put a collar on your pug you're awful.
If you don't run twice yearly physicals with every test imaginable, you're awful.
If you can see a waist and muscle and some rib during movement on your pug, you're awful.
They thought Izzie was fit when she was 20lbs... She weighs 13lbs now...

I mean I'm pretty cautious and safe because I don't want a broken dog, but they take things to the extreme.

Members online

No members online now.