Votes: 8 17.0%
  • a few times a month

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • rarely

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters

GoingNowhere

"I love you"?

To your SO, parents, siblings, children, friends, extended family, pets, etc.

Hope this isn't too personal. I'm just curious because I'm sure it varies as to what is the norm from household to household. I made the poll multiple options because I'm sure it varies based on who we're referring to. And go!

I'd say I say I love you to my SO on average several times a day because we see each other most days, to my parents probably a few times a week (mom more so than dad not for any reason except that I seem to be on the phone with her more often). If I'm around them, then it's more often. Siblings are probably a few times a month unless I'm seeing them in which case it's more often. And the extended family definitely varies from several times a month to rarely depending upon how often I get to see them. No kids here, so that's a moot point! I don't tell the pets I love them over the phone haha, but I do tell it to Boo quite frequently when she's around. Friends rarely.

It was a very common phrase in my household growing up, but I figure some are more reserved with throwing it around regularly. I've always been reserved about using the phrase with non-relatives (except for my SO now).

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Probably at least 5 times a day to hubs. Mom, once a week? Depends on how much I talk to her, I guess.

MicksMom

I say it multiple times every day to my husband and Caleb. The rest of the family (sons, my mother, fil, etc), whenever we see or talk to them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
To the pets, about a billion times a day. When I'm going away for more than a week to my parents. Whenever a friend needs to know they're loved, or when I see them for a while. (Though, it's more like "love ya", rather that I love you. :p )

When there was a bf, differed from once a day to multiple times, depending on if I saw them? Lol

Zhucca

Lab Love
Hardly ever.

I say it the most to my grandma 'cause she has this obsession with saying it (she always wants it to be the last thing she says to someone, some morbid reason about death)

I haven't said it to my dad or sister in years. My mom in like, 8-10months? I've never told a friend I love them.

It's not that I don't love them, because I do. I'm just not a sentimental person I suppose. Some things can be left unsaid. I've never had a boyfriend so I'm unsure how it will differ. People tend to be more lovey with their SO so who knows.

Equinox

To my parents (particularly my mother), several times a day. Before she goes out the door (even if it's just a shopping trip or a night out), before she goes to sleep, before hanging up the phone when talking to her, or just randomly throughout the day.

Yes, I'm very attached to my mother. Shaddup :p

To my grandmother, when I call her/before hanging up. To my sister, very occasionally, maybe once every 300 conversations? LOL

To two of my close friends, I say it every time before ending a conversation.

To Trent? 2-3 times a day! I randomly just coo at him for no reason whatsoever. I tell my fat cat I love her a few times a week, and I'm pretty sure I've never told Squirrelcat that I love her :eek: I do, though. It just never comes to mind when I'm around her because she's being such a spazz.

I've never told a boyfriend that I loved him, because I never have.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We are very forthcoming with the ILY's around here. Many times a day. Whenever hubby and I part ways whether one of us is going out, on the phone or in messaging.

With Hannah... All the time. Whenever she does something funny or sweet and sometimes I'll just look at her and be like... "Hey, YOU..." She looks at me kind of shocked or just like what is your deal and then I smile and say "I love you" lol makes her laugh every time haha

My parents and inlaws... Whenever we talk on the phone whoch is usually once a day. Although with my mom and step dad we say "a doo doo" lol. It's a running joke as one of the kids said it that way when they were little

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Not very often to my parents... or any other human right now. When I have an SO it's usually a "love ya bye" type of thing. Which once got me in trouble because I said it to a boyfriend, as I was ending a phone call, before I was ready to say it out loud... so I hung up and immediately broke into a cold sweat... "do you think he heard that?! CRAP he DEFINITELY heard that... maybe he thinks he misheard me... shoot... what do I do?! Do I say it again next time? Do I wait for HIM to say it? OH GOD"

I say it to Auggie every time I leave the house because his crate is nearish the door, so I put him away last and say "I love you Auggie, be good, bye." Probably once or twice a day to the other pups.

I'm not a very touchy-feely lovey-dovey person really...

CaliTerp07

A gazillion times a day. I will often send emails to Zach if I get a split second during the day that say nothing but, "Hi. I love you." or "FYI, love you oodles." Just lets him know I'm thinking about him!

I tell Miss Lucyfur I love her lots too. And kiss the top of her furry little head :)

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Every time I see my parents or talked to them on the phone I tell them I love them. Tyler I tell him ILU about a few times a week and the dogs like every hour lol. To my brother once in a while, we don't have that kind of relationship, although we are close.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Which once got me in trouble because I said it to a boyfriend, as I was ending a phone call, before I was ready to say it out loud... so I hung up and immediately broke into a cold sweat... "do you think he heard that?! CRAP he DEFINITELY heard that... maybe he thinks he misheard me... shoot... what do I do?! Do I say it again next time? Do I wait for HIM to say it? OH GOD"
I have a tendency to call everybody "Love", or "My Love". It's very nearly got me into trouble at times, I have to be super aware of it when texting some people. :lol-sign:

GoingNowhere

Oh I've definitely done the "I love you bye!" and then realized I was talking to someone who probably shouldn't have received that farewell. Fortunately as of yet it hasn't happened during a phone interview or with a boss.

Not entirely related, but as a child I also had the habit of saying "Amen" after reciting the pledge of allegiance at school haha

This question is of particular interest to me now because I just made it a goal of mine to start saying "I love you" to my brother when I say goodbye to him. I say it to everyone else in my immediate family before hanging up the phone or upon parting, but it's always been a bit uncomfortable with my brother. Not because I love him any less, but just because it's never been a thing we've done. It was quite odd the first few times I said it before hanging up the phone, but it's getting less effortful each time. He still hasn't said it back yet, but I'd like to think it's always appreciated.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have a tendency to call everybody "Love", or "My Love". It's very nearly got me into trouble at times, I have to be super aware of it when texting some people. :lol-sign:
That happened once when I was texting with two people at once - one I said "love you, drive safe, see you soon" too, and the other was a friend of a friend, I was giving him directions and telling HIM to drive safe... but had only met him like once and DEFINITELY wasn't going to say "love you" to him... hit send on the text and was immediately like "....OH *%(# *$(@)*$)@*$)@#@ WHO DID I SEND THAT TO?"

Luckily it went to the proper person LOL.
Otherwise that was going to be a slightly awkward conversation. "Oh I just tell everybody drive safe and ILU..."

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I do the same. It's caused issues, especially at work because we were ALL like that. :rofl1:

The BF and I say it to each other a few times a day usually, but sometimes we forget to say it and that's okay too. It's not a hard-and-fast routine.

Family, I always say it when ending a phone call.

Friends, all the **** time.

Pets, especially Finnegan? More than the BF. :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
To Michael: Depends on how often we talk. Typically once per day, but it may be only a few times a week. When we were living together, it was multiple times per day. In the morning when we'd leave for work/school, at night before going to bed, and a few times in between.

I never used to really say it to my parents, but now that I'm not living at home...I do whenever I'm done visiting and go to leave. They both get a hug and an I love you.

I also say it to my Grandparents (and Michael's grandma) when I'm done talking with them on the phone/about ready to leave after visiting.

To the dogs? Honestly, only when I'm feeling extra emotional and they are being comforting. Then I get sappy and will kiss them on the head and tell them that I love them. Typically, they just get called inappropriate names. :p But, oddly enough, that is my way of voicing my affection towards them. Dameon, my ferret, was always called "a little turd". When he was sick and dying and I was saying my goodbyes to him at the apartment before I took him into the vet, I held him and cried and told him he was a little turd. After Dameon passed, Michael was being particularly onrey one day and I called him a turd. He said, "You know, that isn't really a nice thing to say." and he was being dead serious about it. I just laughed and explained to him that me saying "you're such a turd" is me saying that you make me laugh, and smile, and make my day that much brighter for being in it. Now when he gets called a turd he grins. :rolleyes:

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Often, to family/my BF because

(she always wants it to be the last thing she says to someone, some morbid reason about death)
this. For some reason when I was younger (12, 13 maybe?) that thought occurred to me and it just became habit. I am sentimental as well though.

My friends not so much. For some reason it feels very... intimate to me, and therefore awkward to tell friends unless we're REALLY close. I do tell my very best friend that I love her though. :) She's like a sister to me.

Members online