Dead Dog Beach

Sweet72947

Squishy face
That's what this Beach is called in Puerto Rico because people drop their dogs (and other pets) off to die there. This group:
http://www.manosporpatas.org/home.htm

does what they can to save them. Be warned, a lot of the pics are very sad (mangy dogs, skinny dogs, etc.). Manos Por Patas is Spanish for "Hands for Paws". Its very sad how people in other countries veiw pet animals.:(

How heartbreaking...especially that so many find the solution to strays to be poison or bullets. RIP little doggies. I hope that this wonderful organization can save many more. :(

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
That is soo sad :( So heartbreaking. :(

Last edited:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh my gosh, that is completely heart breaking. :( Those poor animals.....:(

Nancy Lou

I don't even know what to say, wait....yes I do. I just don't feel like dragging the soapbox out tonight.

poodlesmom

I have been to Puerto Rico a few times over the years and it is so sad. There are so many with obvious medical problems. Just about anywhere you go there are stray dogs. If you spend time at any of the local beaches you are sure to be visited by some of them. As terrible as some people have been to them so many of them so much want human attention. It is so heartbreaking!

Something like here in honduras.

The mayors in the past belived in the poinson metods as well, but many particular people do that too even today. :(

I hate to say I had seen dogs in a LOT worse condition that , like all hair loose for mange, walkin whit hops because of the broken limbs....

Also is common to see stray pigs, cats, cows, horses, goats, sheeps...

Sush

Wow that is a really neat organization. It's also very sad that there is a certain beach peolple leave their dogs. I experienced alot of this first hand when I traveled to Costa Rica and Belize. There are dogs EVERYWHERE. Some are fat and pregnant with teets hanging to the ground. Some are skin and bones with barely any hair. Some have nasty festering wounds and look as though they could drop dead any minute. Some look healthy but just roam the streets. I think I might have seen TWO dogs who actually looked like they were owned by someone because that had collars. Half of these dogs looked related.

I never once saw a vet hospital and the only dog food I saw were cans of pedigree in the market shacks....and that was rare. You could find ME packed with vienna sausages I'd bought and bottles of water feeding and watering everydog that would come close to me. I even tried to bring one of them into my hotel room to give it a bath but the maid caught me :) ooops.

Once I bought a can of the pedigree and before I knew it half the dogs in the village were following me...haha. I seriously thought about bringing one home with me (I even looked into it but the expenses and quarentine were outrageous). He looked like a terrier mix and was the cutest thing ever. He was on one of the small islands and followed me around the whole time...even slept on the porch of our villa. I named him Basura "trash can" in spanish because he would eat ANYTHING. His tummy was never empty for that two weeks :) I miss his little face...hope he's doing well.

Island Dog, Inc

please check out www.islanddog.org for all the information on Dead Dog Beach. We appreciate the support and donations from everyone who has helped and will in the future. We are making great strides in Puerto Rico, but there is so much more to do

Thank you

Islanddog, Inc

Members online