Chihuahua VS Fried Chicken

Sush

So this is half story, half reassurance needed :)

Night before last, the boy and I went out to a yummy Chili's dinner. I had a an enormous plate of chipotle chicken tacos, Bryce had a plate of country fried chicken crispers. He procceeded to help me eat my food and took his home in a doggy bag. It literally became a doggy bag...

The next day we were headed over to my cousins house to do a pool/bbq but needed to stop at Safeway to grab some burgers and buns. Sage came along of course and had to stay in the car while we ran in to the store. We had accidentally forgotten the leftover food from the night before in the backseat of my car under a jacket...can you see where this is going?

Yep, we arrived back at the car to find Sage sittin fat and happy in the front seat. I open the door to find a partial chicken tender down by my pedals and a COMPLETELY empty container where there was one SEVEN large breaded and fried chicken tenders...yes...SEVEN. That means that this little 8.5lb dog devoured SIX AND A HALF tenders!! She basically looked like a little buddha, her belly was huge!

I was mad, irritated at myself, worried about her health. I knew it wasn't going to kill her but it was only a matter of time before I saw the wrath of the fried chicken comming out both ends. The whole rest of the day went great, the little buddha belly just cruised around as normal.

So this morning, I'm jolted awake by the feeling of her heaving under the covers. I jump up and run her out the door and into the backyard just in time for her to puke up pure chicken greese and seconds later squirt out chicken greese from the other end. I'm part worried, part smurking (that's what she gets for devouring enough food to feed 5 small children) and part proud of myself for moving so quickly and saving my bed/legs/carpet.

I go back in to my room, throw back the covers and find that I indeed, was not quick enough at all. There was a nice puke spot on my sheets :( Yuck.
As of now she has done a fair amount of vommitting and I'm sure her stomache is still churning up more chicken debris to shoot out later.

The reason for this rant is to ask if there is anything I should be worried about because of her intake of EXTREMELY fattening and greesy food. Also, will she be gaining alot of wait because of the montsrous meal? She's been on a strict diet ever since the vet said she was a pound over-weight (alot for such a little dog) I'm going to let her continue to rid herself of the mess and wait until tomarrow to give her any food. Anything I need to worry about?

Pancreatitis would concern me a tad. Fatty foods can be hard on the pancreas. Keep an eye on the vomiting/diarrhea. I'd withold food for the next 12-18 hours to let the gut settle, and make sure she doesn't dehydrate. If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, or starts to get worse, I'd take her in.

What a little piggie!

bubbatd

I guess it's better than Tacos Bells !!! Glad that there weren't any bones !

Sush

Thanks :) No more vomittng and I havn't seen her poop lately. I did do kinda of a dehydration test (pulling her skin up to see how long it took for it to go back to normal) and she does seem to be dehydrated. I have been offering her water and she's been drinking some. Any other ways to get her to drink more?

When honey was having a bout similar to this (hers was from eating a food she apparently is allergic too) I used a medicine dropper to give her water (as she didn't want to drink at all)--once the bout was over she was fine.

***if I knew the impending 'splosion was coming I wouldn't let my dog be anywhere near me and my bed LOL

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Awww. It sounds like she ate her weight in chicken nuggets! :lol-sign: I guess i'd be a little ill too if I ate my weight in fried food. :) As for dehydration, if you're really concerned, you could take her to the vet and give her some subcutaneous fluids. If you know how to do it yourself it's a surefire way for her to get some much needed hydration without a vet visit.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Yeesh... when I read the title, the first thought that popped into my mind was, "What kind of SICKO wants to eat a Chihuahua, and how would we know if it tasted better than KFC???!?!?!"

I would worry about pancreatitis too... but as far as dehydration goes, try a bottle of Pedialyte - it will replenish her electrolytes, and help her through her "fast" a bit easier. If she refuses to drink, there's always the whole "squirt it into the mouth with a needleless syringe" technique - I hate to use it, but sometimes a situation will warrant it.

Awww, poor girl. Its not fun having it come out of both ends. :( Im glad she is doing better. Check if she needs water frequently. It may take a while(a week?) to have her feeling good again...its almost like food poisoning, it takes a while to rid the system of yucky-ness. But who knows, she might be back to normal in a few days. Update soon!

Sush

***if I knew the impending 'splosion was coming I wouldn't let my dog be anywhere near me and my bed LOL
Yeah I'm still knockin myself for that one...haha I guess i just thought the explosion would come sooner...at least vomit-wise.

UPDATE: No vomit, havn't scoped her poop, acting completely normal and extra hungry! We always joked this dog would eat until her death, she has the most amazing appetite. I've had her since she was a puppy and she's always been that way! Our last incident was her climbing onto the table and getting a hold of the Beta fish food, getting the cap off and eating the whole bottle. She's gnarly.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Eeek, that's awful :yikes:

Rylie got into a bag of Charlie Bear treats a few days ago... I've never seen so much vomit before in my life (luckily she was laying in her crate at the time). However, she then proceded to puke on the carpet as well. It was horrible.

Sush

I thought for sure I'd see that chicken come back up that same day since she ate so much! Instead she threw up totally digested muck the next day. I was thinking what I could give her to make her throw up next time something like this ever happens (hopefully i've learned my lesson but still...Beta fish food?) I think I once heard something about Peroxide but that sounds SOOO toxic to me...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Peroxide does work, but you'd have to talk to a vet about the dose and what it will be used for. Sometimes using peroxide makes things worse.

I say the chicken is having it's revenge... :( ;)

Members online

No members online now.