Heartless Fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Wrong grounds? I wasn't actually looking to start an argument/fight on here. Merely looking to see what others thought of the situation from an outsider perspective.. Specifically what people who care about dogs and the puppy mill situation feel about it. Although it looks like that has backfired because now it has turned right back into the same thread that was being referred to.

The fact of the matter is this:
a. The guy posted up buying a pet store that pretty obviously sells puppies
b. He then didn't answer anyone's questions about puppy/parrot sales (which I believe is a valid question regardless of the forum)
c. Then, my fiancee posted links to some informative sites on why puppy mills were bad
d. And then got jumped all over so had to defend his position (your so called "harrasment")

I'm sorry but they all got a bit jumpy about a little information about puppy mills. I found that their compassion was beyond lacking, and that they didn't at all want to hear what was being said (because it wasn't about reef tanks of course). It was completely pertinent to the topic at hand, and no where came close to harrassment. If you are being offended by any of these posts, then you are guilty as charged.

Wrong grounds? I wasn't actually looking to start an argument/fight on here.
Look, I'm quite certain we're on the same side with regards to pet store puppies and puppy mills. Where you lost me was when you seemed to suggest that an attitude of disregard for the well-being of dogs was prevelant among reefkeepers, and further that a reefkeeping forum was the appropriate venue for arguing about it.

There are 156,584 members on Reef Central. I just think it's very unfair to paint the majority of them one color based upon a single thread with 30 or so responses.

My opinion only, of course.

Dreeza

Jessie, I TOTALLY see your issue here.

It was REALLY strange to me how that was handled. I did think you went a little far to generalize it to many fish owners, but since I really don't know any, I am just gonna ignore that comment, cause I know what you meant when you said it...I am guessing it just came out wrong.

Anyways, I really found these comments to be just WEIRD, and supporting of the fact that the posters of them don't care much that this guy might be selling byb puppies!!!

{edited by Mod- quotes from other forums not appropriate}

Ok real fast, first of all he never said he did or didn't sell puppies, and maybe he only sells local breeder puppies or humane society puppies <---I could be wrong, but isnt that a pretty umm, 'known' thing that breeders that sell puppies through a pet store are basically BYBs?!!!!!

I just found it odd how easily they were able to shove the issue aside to and go on to praise the OP for his store....it was like they excused him for selling puppies just cause he opened a store...

wtf. That would SO not fly with other things...just like your example of the sweatshop Jessie. I think it is perfectly fair to compare the two. Maybe I should go on that forum and tell them I opened a sweatshop that makes fish tanks. Since I sell fish tanks, and obviously worked hard to open my shop...I deserve congratulations?

riiiight.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Angel Chicken

I don't think that them not mentioning if puppies were sold or not is perfectly fine. It is a FISH forum, and the store was to imply about the FISH stock, right? Why would it matter if they bypassed the fact that he did sell puppies? Would mentioning it stop him? Probably not. It is a FISH forum, after all.

Just because we fish keepers like our hobby, doesn't mean that we are cruel people, which you implied...read the title, and this phrase:

I just find it pathetic and disturbing that these people that claim to care about animals don't at all care about dogs and other pets besides fish.
"These people" would imply most that keep saltwater tanks. Which is a pretty broad brush, as Psy would say.

noludoru

Bored Now.
{edited by Mod- quotes from other forums not appropriate}

I agree, I think it's very strange how that was handled, especially since we get so off-topic here. :) I would, personally, never congratulate/support/encourage anyone who owns a store that buys from puppymills. Period. If I don't condone puppymilling (understatement), why the hell would I congratulate someone who so obviously contributes to it? Even indirectly? It's against my values, and if that person so obviously will not change their views, I would distance myself from them.

I agree with Dreeza.. I see Jessie's POV here.

The fact of the matter is this:
a. The guy posted up buying a pet store that pretty obviously sells puppies
b. He then didn't answer anyone's questions about puppy/parrot sales (which I believe is a valid question regardless of the forum)
c. Then, my fiancee posted links to some informative sites on why puppy mills were bad
d. And then got jumped all over so had to defend his position (your so called "harrasment")
He had to defend himself, as well. We're on a dog forum here, so will obviously have views different than some--if not many--on those forums. HOWEVER puppymilling should never be condoned. Period. The guy who started the thread did make himself "look guilty" by not responding to the posts. That doesn't say to me "oh this is a fish forum so we can't talk about it," it says to me "oh **** that'll make me look bad b/c I know how depraved that is and there are people here who want to buy from me."

Now, it would be nice if Jessie wasn't attacked and we discussed our views upon the subject, not the nuances of her wording.

ETA: I didn't read Dreeza's whole post before I posted. But.. yeah:

I just found it odd how easily they were able to shove the issue aside to and go on to praise the OP for his store....it was like they excused him for selling puppies just cause he opened a store...

wtf. That would SO not fly with other things...just like your example of the sweatshop Jessie. I think it is perfectly fair to compare the two. Maybe I should go on that forum and tell them I opened a sweatshop that makes fish tanks. Since I sell fish tanks, and obviously worked hard to open my shop...I deserve congratulations?

riiiight.
:hail:

Since the starter of that thread thinks that b/c it is a fish forum and an inappropriate place to discuss parrots and dogs, I vote we send him a link here. I for one would simply love to discuss it w/ him.

Last edited by a moderator:

~Tucker&Me~

Jessie is right about Tangs. They do NOT belong in a 30g.

Overstocking has it's times/situations.

~Tucker

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Other forum drama is inappropriate for our forum. Please do no provide links to other forums. If you would like to have a fish discussion please do so in the Cat and Pet Forum. :)

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Hmmm....I'm not a fish person at all. Quite honestly, as much as I do like fish (and I really do), I rarely ever think about them and had to look up google to find out what the heck a 'tang' and a 'cichlid' was. Yes...I'm embarrassed about that. LOL! :p

But here's my take.
I don't believe for a second that the majority of any kind of fish keeper doesn't care about animals in general. I do believe that all of us who consider ourselves slave to one pet in particular (eg: dog people, cat people, fish people, rabbit people etc...) get a little more involved in that one animal and find them a heck of a lot more interesting to talk about than other animals. That includes not really being interested in discussing the plight of other animals in need.
I mean just think about cats...we talk about puppymills and bybs of dogs all the time here, but cats have the same problem. Yet do any of us really go into depth about where people got their cats, why they bred them, what breeder they bought from, why someone decided to get a kitten from a newspaper ad...etc.? Not really. Why? I know it's not because we don't care...we do, of course. But we're not focused on them. This is primarily a dog forum and so we're surrounded by all things canine and we love it.
But a 'cat person' might be up in arms about someone buying a cat from a newspaper ad or getting it from some neighbour who never spays or neuters their barn cats. They'd probably even look at our disinterest and say "Those dog people don't give a darn about anything other than dogs!!"
They, of course, would be wrong. But this is a dog forum and we are dog people. There's nothing wrong with us being focused on dogs in this setting.

Sooo....that long winded post leads me to say. Although I am completely against puppymills and would be Peed Off at someone who opened up a pet store to sell puppies (amongst other animals). I wouldn't expect a puppymill discussion to happen on a fish forum, amongst fish people. I understand that they may seem not to care, but why should they have to focus on any other animals when they're talking fish, on a fish forum? *shrugs*

I understand that you and your fiancé are angry about it and it's wonderful that you care, but leave the fish people be. If you wanted to make a comment, by all means do it once in the thread and if he doesn't answer...a polite PM may not be out of order. But beyond that I say let it go.

Cass.

Saje

Island dweller
As Buddy'sparents said, bringing drama from other forums here goes against our rules. We don't like it when other forums do that to us do we? And it really is quite one-sided. Let's let it go. If we want to address puppy mills we can always do that here, on a dog forum, with dog lovers! Or if you want to talk about fish care there is a whole forum for that too. It's always frustrating when people don't care about the same issues that we are passionate about but I bet those people are just as passionate about other important issues too.

As a side note, a member with only a few posts has just a valid opinion as any other member. We all had to start somewhere and I'm sure we remember how difficult it can be to break into a new forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.