E-collars for feet issues

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie has an irritated spot on his foot and it's been irritated for about a month now. It's just a little red but it's definitely not infected. However he will NOT leave it alone. I slap the e-collar on him but he can still reach it. I put the sock on his foot and he somehow manages to pull the sock off. We had this trouble I think two years ago. I started vet wrapping the sock on and he would manage to get the sock off then EAT the vet wrap which of course resulted in me inducing vomiting to prevent a big wad of vet wrap from trying to travel through his belly... so I have been really hesitant to use the vet wrap. Finally this weekend I broke down and vet wrapped it on one day. He managed to get the sock off but NOT the vet wrap. How?? I have no idea. (Also we're pretty sure Georgie helped him get the sock off once, because I put the sock on then suddenly Auggie had no sock on and I couldn't figure out where it went, then turned around and Georgie was prancing around with the sock in her mouth...)

I went ahead and vet wrapped the sock on this morning but I really don't want to do it because I'm afraid he's going to eat it again. And of course I'm afraid he might choke on it.

The e-collar he is wearing is BIG but apparently not big enough. I don't know if I should just go buy another one that is approximately the size of Auggie's entire body, or if those inflatable e-collars are better, or... I don't know. Anybody have ideas?

I tried spraying the sock with Bitter Apple but Auggie kinda likes the taste of Bitter Apple, BTW, so that's out. =P

AUGGIE. *shakes fist*

BostonBanker

What about some other things to spray the wrap with? Rub soap on it? Lotion? Cayenne pepper?

I know when Gusto got neutered, they suggested using a rolled up towel wrapped around his neck as an "e-collar". I suspect that would be even easier to get around, but maybe it's another thing you could try?

xpaeanx

I have nothing useful to add that hasn't been mentioned.

So I just want to say that sucks and I hope his foot gets better soon so you don't have to deal with this anymore.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Crap, the Bite Not collar says not for use on foot or lower leg injuries. =< I might try something else on his sock to see if he leaves it alone. I'm just afraid of putting anything on it that might irritate his foot more. Years ago the vet gave us some kind of super-strong nasty tasting stuff to put on Auggie's sutures after his neuter, and Auggie LIKED it so much he just licked it out of the container they gave us. So even if I try something like cayenne, I wouldn't be surprised if he liked it, LOL.

wishbone

Sorry for this crappy idea but instead of dog's "doom cone of shame", is there any kind of cone for the foot? :D

MicksMom

What about some other things to spray the wrap with? Rub soap on it? Lotion? Cayenne pepper?...

I used to rub Ben Gay on the VetWrap when Mick was messing with a foot or leg. Worked wonders. You may need to re-apply it when the smell goes away, tho.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I have no advice, just wanted to say good luck! Talon had some sores on his lower legs and they were such a PITA to keep him from licking! >_< So good luck!

Members online

No members online now.