Mia......... ugh

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I guess first things first, I had a horrible day. Just really bad and was feeling sick as well as very down on myself. I almost missed nosework today but convinced myself to go since Mia loves it and I usually enjoy working with the dogs so much.

Mia was good... at the nosework. But she had a meltdown in class in her crate. Ok maybe not so bad but she whined and screamed and tried to dig and chew her way out the entire time. I kept apologizing because one of the girls seemed really annoyed. Also, someone said 'mouse' in the class which set her off. She also decided to growl at the belgian.

Also this morning, she got into my wrapping paper and decided to tear it to shreds. On the other hand she decided to snuggle me and be sweet. She's also discovered how it's fun to jump on the bed, which cracks me up.

Sometimes this dog.... But tonight was so random and out of character. She is fine at agility crated. Fine at the workshop this weekend. Fine in the car crated. I think it is the nosework that gets her going more than agility.

Anyways, no point except a quick rant. I just needed to rant at the end of today.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I AM kind of concerned she is going to break her teeth gnawing on her kennel. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

Yeah, had one of "those" days yesterday, as a muddy in season bitch decided to go around sleeping every ones bed! So glad it snowed again.

But for the crate/teeth, maybe try to find an all plastic one, I thought I've seen them before? She'll probably still bite at it, but it's softer than metal, and then maybe cover it so she can't see the "action" outside? Although I'm sure you've tried that a hundred times by now.

EDIT: Dang! I thought there was a Nylabone one that was all plastic, but it looks like they all have wire doors too, oh well :(.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
At the seminar this weekend I borrowed an N2N and she stayed in it mostly. She did unzip it enough to poke her head through the flap. I've thought about a soft crate like that but I really think she'll escape from them. On the other hand, she won't be likely to break her teeth.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Do you play crate games? Do you have a MM?

Arnold broken several canines on his crates but he has several crate issues. Over the last year he's started to crate fine at my work places but I wouldn't trust him long term.

Is Mia anxious or just being pushy about "my turn"?

(I think I need to reread your post, you probably answered these)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm probably being stupid but I can't think for the life of me what MM stands for.

Mia has some crate issues. I ended up avoiding the crate as a puppy because we were in an apartment and she was so loud. She's very used to being penned in the x-pen but not crated.

We've been crating at classes for a long time. She's been fine being crated in agility and now has worked up to where she's pretty much laying there quietly until it's her turn. She may bark a few times if she sees me grab Summer but she settles down.

At nosework though, she is totally different and very amped up in her crate when it's not her turn. I am not sure what is different between the two classes. I guess it's a moot point since our nosework class ends next week and we move on to just doing 'sniff and gos' instead of a real class.

It will be interesting to see how she crates tonight at agility.

and yep, we're doing crate games.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
At the seminar this weekend I borrowed an N2N and she stayed in it mostly. She did unzip it enough to poke her head through the flap. I've thought about a soft crate like that but I really think she'll escape from them. On the other hand, she won't be likely to break her teeth.
Use your leash to clip the two zippers together.

Not that Webster has let himself out and toured an agility trial before or anything. Nope. Never. That would be terribly embarrassing.

Now if you think she'll go right though the mesh then that's another problem...

Not that Webster has let himself out and toured an agility trial before or anything. Nope. Never. That would be terribly embarrassing.

:rofl1: Gotta love smart dogs. Reminds me of Noodle, we bought him a super cheap but pretty well built for the price ($15), soft crate, well...one night he HAD IT, dug at the door until, he unzipped it with his monster claws and squeezed his way out. He now sleeps in Enda's puppy kennel a plastic Remington from the TSC store.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
:rofl1: Gotta love smart dogs. Reminds me of Noodle, we bought him a super cheap but pretty well built for the price ($15), soft crate, well...one night he HAD IT, dug at the door until, he unzipped it with his monster claws and squeezed his way out. He now sleeps in Enda's puppy kennel a plastic Remington from the TSC store.
Yeah the first time I ever put Webby in a soft crate was at an APDT rally trial. I was working the table for a class we weren't in so borrowed a friend's softcrate, put him in, tossed in a couple treats, and zipped it up.

Walked back to the table, sat down, and there was Webster sitting next to my chair telling me the cookies were gone. Unzipped himself maybe five seconds after being put in a softcrate for the first time.

:headdesk:

Of course this makes the agility trial incident more embarrassing since I knew he could do it and just forgot to clip the zipper...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

That's a good idea. She may try to go through the mesh though. I'm not sure she wouldn't try chewing through.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
That's a good idea. She may try to go through the mesh though. I'm not sure she wouldn't try chewing through.
Auggie did in fact eat his way out of his N2N soft crate and earned himself a Varikennel. He didn't just eat through the mesh door, oh no - he ripped a hole where the mesh joins with the other fabric on the SIDE of the crate. Dumb dog.

You can try bitter apple paste on the crate door and see if that helps - or have I forgotten and Mia is the kind of dog who actually likes the taste of bitter apple..?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia's in a varikennel right now. She chews on the metal front of it.

I've not tried bitter apple with her yet. That's a good idea.

Bailey08

I brought a N2N for Grace, who is crated daily (wire crate, no issues), when we traveled for the holidays. Grace kept opening the zippers (my N2N had clips for the tabs, which worked, except that she figured out the you didn't need them to open a zipper when you can just pop it open in the middle). I tried to outsmart her and put the two sides with zippers in a corner. She then proceeded to bust through the small mesh window in the other side. I found her lying on the floor, chewing on a scavenged bully stick, proud as could be.

Allll that to say that I doubt the N2N will hold a determined Mia. :)

Among other things (like CG), we use the relaxation protocol to work on self-control. Clearly Gracie is still a work in progress. ;)

except that she figured out the you didn't need them to open a zipper when you can just pop it open in the middle
YES!! That is exactly how Noods was doing it! It wasn't the actual zipper that was a problem, he just dug at the zipper where it joins together until it "popped" apart. Darn Dachsies and their nails!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia was actually going through the top zipper on the N2N. I heard the lady behind me laughing and saw Mia's nose sticking out the top. I watched a few more seconds and her entire head popped through. Jerk.

Members online

No members online now.