Quick Question on what sells...

Jenne

Ball Thrower
I need $1000 by the 30th due to some unforeseen circumstances. What I planned to do was purchase items with my dell credit card and resell the items. But what should I buy? What would sell the fastest? They have tv's, game systems, photography equipment, and of course computer stuff. Do any of you have suggestions?

Bad as they are, you'd be better taking a cash advance on the card than doing that! Talk about high interest . . . you'll be selling stuff for probably less than 50% of what you paid for it, then paying the credit card interest on top of that.

Look around and see what you've already got that you can turn into money?

Even a short term loan is better than playing roulette with the credit cards.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I wouldn't be buying anything on the hope it resells... If it doesn't sell you will just have a larger bill to pay and a bunch of stuff you don't need

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I wouldn't be buying anything on the hope it resells... If it doesn't sell you will just have a larger bill to pay and a bunch of stuff you don't need
Ditto. Sell stuff you have instead. Spending money when you are in need of money is a pretty backwards idea.

CaliTerp07

Eeep, second and thirding what everyone else said! Is there any way you can earn the money quickly? I just paid a trio of kids $300 to rake all the leaves from my yard last weekend.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Eeep, second and thirding what everyone else said! Is there any way you can earn the money quickly? I just paid a trio of kids $300 to rake all the leaves from my yard last weekend.
I have nothing to add, except that I wish we were neighbors. lol

CaliTerp07

To be fair, they spent a good 9 hours raking leaves (they were not the most efficient leaf rakers). I figured $11/hour to keep them off the streets on a teacher work day was a good cause.

And it was still half the price of a "professional" leaf raker...

To be fair, they spent a good 9 hours raking leaves (they were not the most efficient leaf rakers). I figured $11/hour to keep them off the streets on a teacher work day was a good cause.

And it was still half the price of a "professional" leaf raker...
Seems that doing yard work pays more than paralegal work -- with a helluva lot less responsibility and headaches.

CaliTerp07

Seems that doing yard work pays more than paralegal work -- with a helluva lot less responsibility and headaches.
Everything pays (and therefore costs) more here. But yeah, the guy who cuts lawns makes more per hour than I do teaching math. It is a weird world we live in.

Sorry to derail the thread. Point being, could you post an add in the odd jobs section of Craigslist with any tasks you'd be willing to do? Errands you could run, yard work you could do, etc? You'd have to be cautious about screening people, but you could probably make a dent in your $1000 goal.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
All the credit cards that I had that allowed cash advances I closed when I got laid off. The only card I left open was my dell card which doesn't allow cash advances. I need to pay rent and utilities for the month of December, so I need cash. My cushion was depleted when my cat had a urinary blockage and needed surgery. I have a job starting in the beginning of December (hopefully, as this is the 3rd time they've put off orientation). I have been posting pet sitting, baby sitting and general labor ads, but there have been no responses.

noludoru

Bored Now.
But you haven't seen her yard. :eek: It's lovely, but the thought of raking the leaves in Cali's neighborhood is insane. It would be like raking the leaves at my parents house - where do you even put them all?

To the OP: BAD IDEA. Go on craigslist and find yourself some odd jobs or sell stuff you already have. You can buy it back in January with all the sales.

Utility companies will usually grant you extra time to pay -- if you ask and explain the situation, but even if they don't, I'd be greatly surprised if they don't take payment by credit card. Same thing with the rent. Even if it's an individual you're paying the rent to, you can use Paypal and use the credit card directly that way. All they need is to have an e-mail address.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sorry, just saw your post. Any chance you can just put rent or something on a card? You may be able to open another if you have decent credit. It's the beginning of the holiday season, banks want to make money on apr.

Romy

Taxiderpy
But you haven't seen her yard. :eek: It's lovely, but the thought of raking the leaves in Cali's neighborhood is insane. It would be like raking the leaves at my parents house - where do you even put them all?

To the OP: BAD IDEA. Go on craigslist and find yourself some odd jobs or sell stuff you already have. You can buy it back in January with all the sales.
For $300 I'd be a super raker. You'd better believe it. :rofl1:

Selling stuff you already have is a good idea. If you have a microwave you can live without for a month, put it on craigslist. Ipods, Ipads, fancy phones (you can always get an el cheapo to slap your sim card in for a month or so), etc.

People are getting a lot of brand spanking new stuff next month, and a lot of newish nice things are going to hit the classifieds for cheap. It'll be easy to replace or even upgrade your stuff then.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'd strongly recommend NOT doing that. Are you planning on buying the items, selling them, and then carrying the balance on the Dell credit card? What happens if you can only sell each item for 50% of retail? Then you'll have cash now... but you'll still have to pay off the items (and interest!) on the credit card.

The closer it gets to Christmas, the more likely Dell is to have sales, which means you'll have a harder time selling "new used" things.

I'd also see if there was a way to make money quickly (selling things you own, finding some jobs like Cali mentioned, etc) or a way to borrow money.

Good luck.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Sell off anything possible. Talk with your landlord. They'd most likely be happier just being paid a week or two late, then having to find a new tenant. Utilities can wait, some places will give some leeway on that before shutting everything off.

Members online

No members online now.