What to charge..? (horse sitting...)

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
So, long story short, I kinda went into business with one of my hunting buddies' wives - she was involved in a pet sitting business that did pretty well when they lived in South Carolina, and I could use some extra cash, so I said I'd work with her up here. We have a price set up for dogs/cats - house visits, basically.

Then this guy calls the other day, he's leaving for a month or so, and needs someone to look after 8 Arabs. My partner is not comfortable with/has no interest in/really does not like horses. I grew up riding and am relatively comfortable with them, Arabs (call me crazy...) being my favorite breed.

I guess they're all old-ish (in their 20s or so?) and from the sounds of it they just need hay and water refilled. It's probably a 20 minute drive out to his place for me. SO, before I call him back and agree to go meet the buggars, WHAT DO I CHARGE PER DAY or PER VISIT FOR THIS?!

I am ALWAYS undervaluing my services - and it bothers me, but I'm really bad at asking people for money, too :(

Dekka

Just try me..
I don't know on the charging front. But I have farm sat for fiends before (sheep horses dogs and cats sort of thing)

Things to think about with livestock.. What happens if one dies. I had this happen. Sheep die easily, and I was to put in the back of the 6 wheeler and dump it out the back for the coyotes. The worst was when I showed up and one of the older horses were dead! He was in his mid 20's and had a bleed into his lungs. It was fast and nothing could have been done no matter who was home. BUT a dead horse is a little different than a dead dog or sheep.

Make sure they have a plan for you to follow if something untoward happens.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
That was one of my foremost concerns, and definitely something I'll be asking him about... the idea of watching 8 "elderly" horses in a PA winter made me think of that.

(Sheep are born looking for a place to die. lol)

Members online

No members online now.