Which are the best clippers and blades?

Hi all
I am a new groomer looking to purchase my first set of clippers and blades:
1) which do you think is the best brand of clipper?
2) if i buy a two-speed so that I can groom heavy coats can this also be used on dogs with lighter coats as well?
3) how many blades do you think I would need as a starter set? I was thinking so far from my grooming course maybe I would need a 4, 5, 4F, 5F, 7, 7F, 10 and 15 - what do you think??
thanks groomers!
:D

Giny

Hi all
I am a new groomer looking to purchase my first set of clippers and blades:
1) which do you think is the best brand of clipper?I've tried oster, kim laube and andis, and I have to say andis is by far the best. I like their shape, fits nice in my hand, they are quiet, don't run as hot as fast as the other (kim laube was horrible for getting hot fast).
2) if i buy a two-speed so that I can groom heavy coats can this also be used on dogs with lighter coats as well?All mine are 2 speeds, but to tell you the honest truth, I rarely use the fast speed.
3) how many blades do you think I would need as a starter set? I was thinking so far from my grooming course maybe I would need a 4, 5, 4F, 5F, 7, 7F, 10 and 15 - what do you think?? Those are a nice start, but I wouldn't bother, personally, with the skip tooth blades (4, 5 and 7) just stick with full. I've seen to many injuries/cuts from those blades and I never get them. I'd get a couple sets of #10 and 15. If you use them for feet shaving they tend to run hot before the job is done and it 's nice to have an extra to switch over. Actually having double in all blades is nice, I don't know if your area is like mine but when I want mine sharpened it takes me a good couple weeks before getting them back and I need an extra set during those times.
thanks groomers!
:D
My answers are in blue. Good luck in your profession! :)

Brattina88

I'm not a professional, but I prefer the andis!! I agree with Giny, they don't get as hot as fast, and they cut really well/easily for me. Like butter :p LOL The osters I've tried haven't been that great, for me. I only have a one speed, #10 blade with attachements.

Good luck!! :)

Whipple

Apprentice in Training
I would go for Andis. As for the blades, I would also get a #40 for poodle feet and faces (I like them really close though). And a second set of #5, #7, and a #3.

Do you have everything you will need? Are you starting your own business or working for someone else?

showluver

Andis are nice, Oster is preferred by alot of the show people.
With the breeds I am involved in and helped to groom, the blade we use most often is #10, on occasion a #15 as well is good.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I like the oster two speed clippers, and oster blades, blade wash, and clipper cool spray.

I would get a 15(some clients like really short poodle faces), 10, 7, 5, and a set of the Wahl clipper comb sets. I use the comb set more than anything! oh, and a 30 goes on them. Here is a link to them. you will never regret getting these! I even run them over faces and then touch up with scissors as opposed to scissoring the whole face.
http://www.groomersmall.com/images/Wahl-Combs-in-Cady-lg.gif

stellasmama

Proud Schnoodle Mama
Feeling a little nervous.....I just bought a set of clippers...the Wahl clippers. I read the directions....and will search around a little more before I actually use them on Stella.

I'm a little confused about what blade attachment to use? I don't want Stella's hair too short. She's a schnoodle mix....with fairly long hair. I like her to be fluffy...instead of a schnauzer short cut....

thoughts??? It came with 4 attachments ranging from 1/8" to 1".

She's been groomed a few times, but I'm hoping to save a little $$$ by being able to do it myself.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I like it a little shorter than 1 inch myself.
we do alot of dogs in a 1/2 inch all over, and leave use the 1 inch on the face and head (be VERY VERY careful using it on the head and face since you are not a professional :) )

trim up the pads of the feet, around the feet, clip the nails, pluck ears, trim around ears (also very very careful) and trim under and above the eyes.

your clip will look alot better if you bath and completely dry and brush your dog before you began.

Members online

No members online now.