Bloody h*ll, had a accidental

adojrts

breeding this morning. Bitch has been in heat for 3 wks, flagging for 15 days!!
Kept her away from my stud and as of yesterday he had no interest in trying to get to her. She was still flagging (showing to Petie neutered male) a little bit this morning and looked like she was well on her way to going out finally. She had time out in the fenced backyard by herself with me watching. Back in the house and crated..........my stud dog busted her wire crate!!!!!! I was in next room and heard nothing until they tied.
With any luck the breeding didn't take, but with my luck it did which means pups born at x-mass from a bitch that I had no intentions of breeding for at least a year if not more.

So now its a wait and see, I'll take her to the vets at the right time to have her checked and to confirm if she is preggo's or not. Also there is no question as to whether she gets the 'morning after shot', I will not risk it and her future as a broodbitch.
Bloody hell.....................

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Well I have had bitches go into ovulation that late- or even later like day 18.. Wait and see... You can do the shot but uh that can cause problems as well.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
i hope it all works out, sometimes accidents happen.. its amazing what hormones can make boys do lol

hope everything goes well if she is pregnant, and if shes not, i hope you have another crate to contain that boy lol :p

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Ugh. Sorry to hear that! I'm just curious: how does the "morning after" shot affect future breedings? I don't doubt what you're saying; I've just never heard of that potential side effect before.

adojrts

Ah thanks guys, lol I hope my hub is as understand............
The 'morning after' shot is a chemical abortion and from what I know it comes at a high risk of really messing up the reproductive health of the bitch. But I don't know why or any specific details. Now if you had no plans on breeding in the future, it would be fine and recommended. There are many very valid reasons to use but not in this case. Yes I do have crates for all the dogs, my stud had been crated as well especially for the last 2 wks when he was really fussing badly to get to her. But for the last couple of days he had stopped and wasn't showing any interest in her, he had lost so much weight that he was now eating and sleeping alot. I had him loose in the house with me, he had been sleeping on the sofa just before this happened. They have both been crated a lot in the past 3 wks, I slacked off thinking that it was now safe.................wrong!!
I was waiting to breed her for serveral reasons, one she doens't have all her health clearances yet, although some of them can be updated and quickly if needed, she is also not proven yet as a working and performance dog and finally she is only 18 months old. Those are the main reasons for not doing that breeding yet, the others include that this litter would be due at Christmas almost to the day, that also means a litter in the winter which I don't like at all, means lots of added work especially with housetraining very young pups. And lastly if I drop out of remission and I am not well again I would not be very well to properly raise a litter and it isn't fair to my family to put that added burden onto them.........
At any rate, the deed is done, I just can't believe that he managed to break that crate which was on the top and managed to do that with me in the next room and not hear a thing!! My first clue was when she yelped from the tie.
At which point I though she had pinched a foot or toe in the crate or something like that and was hurt and I ran to help her.
If there is any humor in it, I certainly had a time of getting them out of that crate and on to the floor during a tie, so I could give them more room and comfort her.......good grief.
And that crate was in excellent condition, heavy wire and tight etc. I am not foolish enough to keep a inheat girl in a plastic crate or in a crate on the floor etc. And if I want to use this crate in the future for another dog, it will have to be repaired with tie wraps or new steel clamps etc.

bubbatd

I had a litter aborted by C section if your worried about the shot . Had a wanted litter a year later .

LauraLeigh

Lynn i feel for you as you know i have been there only worse as mine was also mixed breed ! you know i will help in any way i can after all you saved my hide with my litter ! please excuse my typing i an at work typing this on my phone and the thing will not flip the good way to surf Only to text ggrrrrr

R

RedyreRottweilers

Hey, but for the grace of *od....

If you keep intact dogs and bitches, this is always a risk. My bitch looks like she is out of season too, but she will be kept from her sons for at least another week.

Dogs can be very determined, and no way you could predict he could knock into her crate and nail her.

Here's hoping she missed. ;)

Miakoda

The 'morning after' shot is a chemical abortion and from what I know it comes at a high risk of really messing up the reproductive health of the bitch. But I don't know why or any specific details.
Many vets will no longer do it (& actually refuse to carry it). I've seen the shot result in the death of the bitch just as often as it was affective in an abortion. Not to mention that many ended up with emergency spays due to complications as well.

It sucks, but just from what I know of you on here, all will be ok. ;)

And if it makes you feel any better, I actually thought I was safe putting 1 of my bitches out with a neutered male that she got along famously with. Well, they ended up in a tie. I have never in my life seen a neutered male "go all the way." But they, they have needs too......... :p

adojrts

If you don't want the litter , please ask your vet about a CS abortion .
Granted the breeding wasn't planned BUT if she did take, then I'll let her have them. Yes it is earlier than what I planned but at 18 months although not ideal it isn't like she is under or at a year.
I don't want to put her at risk for a C, if there is no reason why she can't have them.
Not to mention that I have just gotten back to work from being off for over a year from being ill. I don't have the money for a C, which I know costs about $750 + here. Much cheaper to do some genetic and health testing on her and then save money for the whelping.

But that being said, I really am hoping that she wasn't ovulating and it doesn't take. I did check her this morning and her vulva wasn't swollen and she had no visiable discharge.......if I am lucky she is just a little tramp :D

Thanks guys for not flaming and being understanding.........lol I told my hub although not impressed he at least wasn't upset or mad.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
You could test her progestrone...should tell you something about where she was in her cycle...no? Or a cytology smear.

eta: this is why I don't keep boys here, lol. Hope it all works out for ya!

Gypsydals

I hope all works out for you. Its reading things like this that make me think when I do bring a girl into the house with in 6 months Ivan will be going in to be snipped. Because accidents do happen, and well quite frankly I'm not sure if my darn kids would be pay enough attention that having two intact dogs of different sexes require.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ack! Wow Bobbi is a determined boy!!! I hope Kiya (sp?) is ok and not preggo.

These things can happen, I have heard some oops turning out produce some awesome litters (only from good breeders who have great dogs to have oops with :D) I know you take lots of precautions and are careful so don't feel bad.

I just read about another oops today. APBTs. Wife let male dog out to potty in the front yard and lost track of him somehow. Turns out he went around the side of the house, broke through the gate, nailed female in heat in the back yard. Please, oh please, don't let the oops bug find me. Terra should be coming in heat next month.

bubbatd

The rule is when a female is in heat you need to watch 24/7 . My " whoops " happened under the care of a dog watcher . I had to abort because I never knew if it Bitch to Father or Son . A very sad , expensive issue that I've never gotten over even though it's been years . Thankfully by vet agreed with my decision .

Members online

No members online now.