Puppy walking problems

hutch82

Hey there hows everyone doing? My wife and my self just got a yellow lab hes just going on 13 weeks old. He is a really good pup behaves awesome is crate trained no prob, very close to house trained the problem we are having is we got to put a leash on him to go for a walk and he lays down right away and theres no way hes going anywhere hes made that clear. We know we can't let this go on or hes gonna win. Is there any ideas what we can do we are looking for anything here. Any help would be awesome.
thanks alot guys thanks
Jon Hutch

hutch82

thanks alot he doesn't seem to have any issues with the collar. Its not like he pulls in the other direction he just flops down and makes it sure we are going no where

bubbatd

For some reason the harness makes a difference .... let him wear it a while before you attach lead ....

Maxy24

Well first I should say welcome to the forum! Second I need to say that it is not a matter of winning and you should never think about your relationship as one winning and one loosing. Simply he has no idea what the heck if around his neck and that you feel this means he should start walking, he's unsure and needs you to teach him it's all good. So out the leash on and let him drag it around the house for a while. If he won't move at first throw a few treats for him to go for (labs love their food) or try to get him to play a game. if he still seems like he won't move then just have a seat on the couch near him and let him come to terms in his own time. If after about 20 mins he still won't move I'd remove it and try again later. try putting it on while he's eating dinner. Don't leave it on him while he's not being watched by you. Once he gets used to dragging it around free from humans holding it then you can start walking with him while holding the leash. Simply follow him DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE, just get him used to having you with him while you walk. Once he's confident with that you can move up to directing him a little, pull the leash in your direction and then kneel down and encourage him to you, if your voice is not enough then use a treat or toy. If he lays down when you apply pressure then don't do it again for a long while, he's not ready yet. It's simply a matter of letting him learn the leash is not some scary torture device but means good stuff such as outside access.

bubbatd

^^^^ well put !!! I forget those years !! But I did do that before my pups went home .

Maxy24

yes you sound like you were an awesome breeder, people having your pups must have been in for a shock when they got a dog from another breeder, yours sound like they came so well behaved and socialized! as it should be of course but I wish more breeders would really strive to socialize of course with the number of BYBs I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It is a normal puppy response though so don't fret. i bet if you did a search of the puppy or training forum you could stumble across a good number of threads about this problem.

Great ideas because my yorkie hates the leash, she fights me and she yelps, and I can't get anywhere with her, I do have a harness, I will start harnessing her up and putting the leash on her and let her just wear it around the house I guess. I'd like to walk her and let her enjoy a walk you know.

Members online

No members online now.