Getting frustrated!!!!!

Chloe has always had a problem with barking like crazy when people come to the door. It just seems to be getting worse these days, and I'm really having problems getting her to settle down. I've tried the spray bottle....it doesn't even phase her. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Jackson Browne barks like that also, but when I get firm with him, he will stop. It's getting to be a problem, because I can't even hear what the person at the door is trying to say. HELP!!!:yikes:

mrsgrubby

I have two ideas...

First, work hard to teach two commands so they are "Rock Solid". The first would be a good solid sit stay, and the second would be a good solid "no bark" command.

In order to teach no bark, first you have to teach "bark" so the dog understands.

Then get some friends, relatives, neighbors, to come over to the door so you can practice.

My second thought is get one of those Citronella Bark collars. They actually work wondering in my opinion. When a dog barks the collar sprays a mist of citronella out and makes a kinda shhh noise. the citronella doesn't hurt your dog, but startles it, and usually quiets them down.

Doberluv

I think a good solid sit stay is a great idea. I don't train using any aversives or spraying yucky things at my dogs. I don't like startling them or having them learn things in order to avoid something, but rather learn in the hopes of getting something they love. I think aversives confuse dogs. That's just my way. I'll just explain how I did it:

I don't say "no" because barking to me is not a no no. I like my dogs to warn me of unusual things like people coming up to my door. So, I don't like to pair the word "no" with something that is sometimes OK and sometimes not. So, I taught the cue "enough." I use that word and concept for other things too. The dogs will connect that the behavior is allowed but when I ask them to stop, they need to be quiet. And a little rough housing is OK inside, but when I tell them "enough" they need to stop now. Or licking me is OK, but now I've had "enough." Those are some examples of where this comes in handy.

First, don't try to train when someone comes to your door....not at first. Get someone in the family or a friend to help you or catch them when they're barking at something else that they won't be as likely to be so persistant about. A friend can knock on the door and won't mind waiting for you to work the dog as someone who happens to be coming to your door that you weren't prepared for.

Distract the dog by going to her, showing her something interesting. (it's always good to teach attention training before anything. This way it's much easier to get the dog's attention on you and off the other thing a little bit) The second she stops (she has to catch her breath sometimes anyhow) click and treat, if she's clicker savy. If not and you don't want to do it that way, praise with a marker word, "yessssss" and give her a treat. Do this several times. Then, start adding the cue word, "enough" WHEN she's quiet, even if only for a second or two. Be ready. You need to mark that second or two exactly when it happens. Do this for a long time before you start trying to give the cue first. If you give the cue while she's barking, she'll learn that "enough" means TO bark. You don't want that. Catch her during the second or two that she is quiet. Gradually hold her attention just a little longer. Only when she is reliable with that do you start to try and add the cue before. You need to make sure she has associated the cue word, "enough" with the stopping of the barking. Use high value treats. When it's time to increase the quiet time....the duration, use tastier treats yet. Practice a few times a day in a controlled situation. If someone comes to your door unexpectently, you'll just have to try to get her attention on you, interrupt her barking and answer the door. She may start up again but if you practice at other times with a helper, that will speed the process.

Dogs are going to bark when people come to the door. That is their job and their instinct. But we can teach them to temper it once we tell them "thank you, now that's enough."( I'll take it from here )sort of thing. I think the sit/stay is a good thing to do in conjunction because it further indicates to the dog that she is "working" and part of the job is working on the "enough" cue. It takes time and it may not be perfect, because this is such a strong thing with dogs. But it can be done. My dogs stop pretty well. Jose is my most persistant. Lyric and Chuli stop very well. Toker.....she's still a work in progress. And it's harder with multiple dogs because they get each other worked up.

Thanks so much for the ideas!!:)

Doberluv....I really like the idea of using the word "enough"...that sounds like a great way to train her. What do you suggest for "high value" treats? I also don't mind them barking when someone comes to the door, but it's just that she won't stop!!!!:yikes:

Doberluv

I use home made liver treats or mozerella cheese, hot dog tid bits. You can take a hot dog and slice it lengthwise on the quarter (two times) and then crosswise into very small pieces, microwave on paper towels for a minute or so and dry them off and cool. You can freeze what won't be used in 2 or 3 days.

Home made liver treats are easy:

1 pkg or container they sometimes come in (about a LB, I think) of chicken livers

1 egg

2 cups oat flour (or any flour)

Blend livers and egg, add flour, mix well. I sometimes sprinkle on or in a little bit of fresh parmessan cheese....nice and smelly. :D

Put into 8x8 caserole thingy

Bake 350 for about 30 minutes or until sides pull away from edges.

Cut into as small of pieces as you can...(not easy on the wrists) and cool. It's easier to cut when warm.

Or you can use a 9x11 and bake less time. It makes them shallower so they're not as thick. I make treats very small so the dogs don't get fat. And all they care about is a token.

Again...it's not an easy thing to teach them but if you can get her to temper it down to a dull roar, it's a good thing. And then you can keep working to get it better. Nothing like a dog going balistic and out of control. Let us know if you're having problems still after a couple of weeks of consistant work.

Thanks so much for the help. Chloe is a very stubborn little girl, so I need all of the help I can get. :lol-sign: I've had lot's of dogs since I was a kid but have never encountered one with her pigheadedness. Good thing I'm so crazy about her. I'll keep you aprised of her progress.

Doberluv

I don't think dogs are stubborn. I think that's a human trait with complex thought processing which I don't believe dogs have. Some are just so very easily distracted and sometimes more driven to do what they're on course to do. I mean...it's pretty darn important to know what other movnig things are doing. LOL. Ya gotta see it from the dog's view. It's sometimes harder to find a motivator which out-does the competition. That, and setting up the training situation and location (an exercised dog who's gotten some of his pent up energy out, a dog who is a little hungry), so that it makes it easier for the dog to succeed. The more successes that he has, the more chance for reinforcement of a correct response, the better. The more failures, the slower the training. So, if you're working in a high distraction area or trying to get the entire behavior all at once, that can set the dog up to fail. So, it takes some thinking and planning, some breaking down into parts a behavior or skill. Lyric can be very distractable sometimes and very focused on what we're doing at other times. I talk about my Doberman a lot because I mainly work with him. He just needs more. The Chi's I do a little bit with but not so much.

mrsgrubby

I wanted to remind you too, when you are working on this, it is easier to have your dog on a leash. That way they can run around too much, and you can keep them undercontrol to show them what yummy treat or toy you are trying to distract them with.

I have also seen people teach their dogs to immediately "go to their bed" when someone knocks on the door. That shouldn't be too hard to teach either.

I wanted to remind you too, when you are working on this, it is easier to have your dog on a leash. That way they can run around too much, and you can keep them undercontrol to show them what yummy treat or toy you are trying to distract them with.

I have also seen people teach their dogs to immediately "go to their bed" when someone knocks on the door. That shouldn't be too hard to teach either.
Thanks so much...that's great advice!!

LOL. Yes, a herding dog can have a one tracked mind.

Mrsgrubby, great advice as usual!
LOL...yes...they sure can. With Chloe's barking, a lot of it is that she just wants to say hi and get some recognition back. When someone comes to the house, once they greet her, she'll usually settle down. For the people who really aren't into dogs, she'll just go on and on and not give up. That's when it's hard.

Members online

No members online now.