Opie and the Jolly Ball!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Something about Opie just pulls at me.

We've been talking and are planning to move out be in a new place at the beginning of July (hopefully) but that is such a long way off so I don't think it helps much.

Even with that aside I am not sure if they would adopt Opie out to me with a toddler. :(

ETA: Crap I just checked FOHA's website and even location is a problem, they won't adopt out of the DC area. :(
As long as you are in Northern Virginia, DC, MD area they will adopt to you.

I really don't think he should be in a home with small child again, the first home he was adopted to had a small child, and he was returned for snapping at the child.

Bunny82

As long as you are in Northern Virginia, DC, MD area they will adopt to you.

I really don't think he should be in a home with small child again, the first home he was adopted to had a small child, and he was returned for snapping at the child.
I am in the southern part of Virginia. :(

Do you know the circumstances on why he snapped at the child?

I wish I lived in MD. He's such a sweet looking boy that reminds me a lot of an abused GSD mix I had when I was younger with his story. I'd love a Fila IF I could find a house with a suitable yard for them. I love huge breed dogs.
You don't need a big yard for a Fila. They do really well with good long walks and if you can sometimes get them to someplace where they can run and let off steam, great. You'd be amazed at how well they do.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Grrrrrr . . . . they should have hooked Opie up with a good Fila rescue from the beginning instead of trying to place him themselves. Anytime you can get a dog into a good breed rescue you're going to up the chances of putting the dog into the right home, especially one like Opie.
Exactly.

Renee, the situation might be changing here and I might be able to get him home. I don't know if my dad was serious or not, though. If he wasn't, he's going to have a broken face for messing with me. If he is, I'll have Opie within two and a half weeks. And I have money saved for his food and anythign else he'll need.

I'll keep you updated. =/

ETA before anyone asks, no I wont be adopting him, just fostering until we find a good home for him.

Love the pics, Cristy. :) He's such a goof when we can get him relaxed.. you really realize how young he is when he isn't too freaked out to be himself.

Miakoda

I finally heard back from Wanda, my husband's cousin who is a vet in that area. She was wanting a mastiff of some type, but it seems she had a client that had an English Mastiff with severe HD and they couldn't afford any treatment surgeries for the dog so they signed it over to her (it seems they also didn't want the hassle of the dog either since they were quick to see if she could find him a home). And although she thinks he's a handsome fox, she doesn't think her schedule would give her the needed time to spend and "fix" both dogs. However, she said she is watching the threads here and is talking to a few in her vet circle. Here's to hoping!

And I'd take Opie in a heartbeat. I bet he'd love some fried alligator and even catching his own crawfish. :D Too bad I'm too far away........... :(

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I am in the southern part of Virginia. :(

Do you know the circumstances on why he snapped at the child?
Well, there was a note from that family in his paperwork, it said that when they got him home, he came out of his shell and was playful, and play nipped at the child. Then it went on to say that he snapped "unprovoked" at the child. Perhaps the child became too playful and scared him? We all know how 2 year olds can be sometimes. Or perhaps he saw the child as a puppy, and "corrected" him for something? But I guess we can only speculate. They said he was good in the house and didn't chew anything and that he's housetrained.

Bunny82

Well, there was a note from that family in his paperwork, it said that when they got him home, he came out of his shell and was playful, and play nipped at the child. Then it went on to say that he snapped "unprovoked" at the child. Perhaps the child became too playful and scared him? We all know how 2 year olds can be sometimes. But I guess we can only speculate. They said he was good in the house and didn't chew anything and that he's housetrained.
Could be the child got too playful and scared him but something in my gut is telling me its more than that. There is no way to know though what really happened but experience has taught me that too many people don't even know when their kids are provoking a dog in the first place. :(

Add me to the wishes I could bring Opie home list. :(

He sure does have eyes that just melt you. I hope he gets a GOOD home soon. One that won't let him down.

I finally heard back from Wanda, my husband's cousin who is a vet in that area. She was wanting a mastiff of some type, but it seems she had a client that had an English Mastiff with severe HD and they couldn't afford any treatment surgeries for the dog so they signed it over to her (it seems they also didn't want the hassle of the dog either since they were quick to see if she could find him a home). And although she thinks he's a handsome fox, she doesn't think her schedule would give her the needed time to spend and "fix" both dogs. However, she said she is watching the threads here and is talking to a few in her vet circle. Here's to hoping!

And I'd take Opie in a heartbeat. I bet he'd love some fried alligator and even catching his own crawfish. :D Too bad I'm too far away........... :(
We could get a transport together :D

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I'd take a Fila in a heartbeat now knowing I could easily walk/run one a handful of times a day. Howeverrrr... Justin doesn't really like big molossers... He won't even consider a Dane :(

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You have no idea how much I would love to take Opie if my circumstances were different... i.e. closer and more time/stability. He's just an amazing looking dog and I think we would do quite well together. :(

Nolu, keep us updated and all!

Bunny82

If there was a way for me to do gradual introductions with Opie and Hunter to get them used to each other I'd jump at the opportunity.

While I would love him to join our family even if he ended up going home with someone else I think it would be a good experience for him to see that babies can be patient and sweet with animals. Sounds like he needs to know there are good people out there of all ages: men, women, and children that will treat him well.

Is that even possible to do? Sweets?

noludoru

Bored Now.
You have no idea how much I would love to take Opie if my circumstances were different... i.e. closer and more time/stability. He's just an amazing looking dog and I think we would do quite well together. :(

Nolu, keep us updated and all!
I will, I can send out some group PMs if there are any updates. You all just tell me if you want to know.

And, Zoomy? I do. I know. (((((HUGS)))))

If there was a way for me to do gradual introductions with Opie and Hunter to get them used to each other I'd jump at the opportunity.

While I would love him to join our family even if he ended up going home with someone else I think it would be a good experience for him to see that babies can be patient and sweet with animals. Sounds like he needs to know there are good people out there of all ages: men, women, and children that will treat him well.

Is that even possible to do? Sweets?
It would be if you can go to FOHA. If I get him soon, you are both invited whenever you'd like.

Members online

No members online now.