Clicker Success! Guess What Maddie Can Do!!!

Doberluv

So what is the purpose for the clicker? How well does it work?
The purpose of the clicker is to let the dog know exactly what behavior he just performed which is earning him a reward. It marks the behavior. Often we get the reward to the dog a few seconds (or more) too late and it serves to mark a behavior which has occured those few seconds after the behavior we're targeting. There is often some confusion to the dog. So the clicker serves as a bridge. You can use a marker word instead....one special word that is only used for that purpose. However, it has been shown that the clicker may be registering in a different part of the brain because of its very distinctive sound. It is not like any other sound the dog hears all day long from our muddled voices. Dogs tend to love training this way because it takes a lot of the confusion out of the communication and it signals that a reward if forthcoming. It is a Pavlovian response which is occuring....as with Pavlov's bell and his dog.

Clicker training is fun for both owner and dog and is based on classical conditioning, one of two main components in scientific learning. The other being operant conditioning. It is how we all learn. Operant conditioning simply means you do this and this happens. There is a consequence for every behavior. For a wanted response, there is a primary reinforcer, the reward. Classical conditioning makes use of a secondary reinforcer....the clicker. You do this......(a desireable behavior) and you hear the click to mark that behavior and get a treat following. (primary reinforcer) All behavior must be reinforced in order to increase the probability of its recurrence. Reinforcement is what drives behavior.

Clicker training or its concepts is what is being used widely today all over the world with modern trainers on account of a lot of scientific advancement and a lot of studies. It is used in many, many venues of dog training. (along with other mammals) Its used in movie actor dog training, service dog training, S&R, dog sports, obedience, rehabilitation of behavior problems including but not limited to severe aggression problems. Its wonderful for that because so many aggressive behaviors are fear based as well as brain chemistry being a culprit, improper cortisol response etc. It is counterproductive to punish aggressive behavior and this has been used with extreme success in that arena. A lot of aggressive displays don't always look like they're fear based, but they are and aversives only exasperate the problem, supress it and the underlying catalyst is still there.

Anyhow, clicker training also teaches a dog better HOW to learn better than forced or compulsive methods or with the use of a lot of aversives. I think it makes for a more thinking dog. And I like my dogs to be participants in their training, not marienettes. Force, choke collar yanking, too much physical manipulation of the dog does not give a dog a choice. Choice is a thinking process.

Anyhow Cindr, if you're intested, may I recommend a few books? *Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor, The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller. These are excellent books which highlight what is best for the dog, their behavior, our understanding of their behavior and how they learn.... and well worth the money spent.

C

cindr

The purpose of the clicker is to let the dog know exactly what behavior he just performed which is earning him a reward. It marks the behavior. Often we get the reward to the dog a few seconds (or more) too late and it serves to mark a behavior which has occured those few seconds after the behavior we're targeting. There is often some confusion to the dog. So the clicker serves as a bridge. You can use a marker word instead....one special word that is only used for that purpose. However, it has been shown that the clicker may be registering in a different part of the brain because of its very distinctive sound. It is not like any other sound the dog hears all day long from our muddled voices. Dogs tend to love training this way because it takes a lot of the confusion out of the communication and it signals that a reward if forthcoming. It is a Pavlovian response which is occuring....as with Pavlov's bell and his dog.

Clicker training is fun for both owner and dog and is based on classical conditioning, one of two main components in scientific learning. The other being operant conditioning. It is how we all learn. Operant conditioning simply means you do this and this happens. There is a consequence for every behavior. For a wanted response, there is a primary reinforcer, the reward. Classical conditioning makes use of a secondary reinforcer....the clicker. You do this......(a desireable behavior) and you hear the click to mark that behavior and get a treat following. (primary reinforcer) All behavior must be reinforced in order to increase the probability of its recurrence. Reinforcement is what drives behavior.

Clicker training or its concepts is what is being used widely today all over the world with modern trainers on account of a lot of scientific advancement and a lot of studies. It is used in many, many venues of dog training. (along with other mammals) Its used in movie actor dog training, service dog training, S&R, dog sports, obedience, rehabilitation of behavior problems including but not limited to severe aggression problems. Its wonderful for that because so many aggressive behaviors are fear based as well as brain chemistry being a culprit, improper cortisol response etc. It is counterproductive to punish aggressive behavior and this has been used with extreme success in that arena. A lot of aggressive displays don't always look like they're fear based, but they are and aversives only exasperate the problem, supress it and the underlying catalyst is still there.

Anyhow, clicker training also teaches a dog better HOW to learn better than forced or compulsive methods or with the use of a lot of aversives. I think it makes for a more thinking dog. And I like my dogs to be participants in their training, not marienettes. Force, choke collar yanking, too much physical manipulation of the dog does not give a dog a choice. Choice is a thinking process.

Anyhow Cindr, if you're intested, may I recommend a few books? *Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor, The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller. These are excellent books which highlight what is best for the dog, their behavior, our understanding of their behavior and how they learn.... and well worth the money spent.
Thanx I think I will do that. I appreciate your assistance. It sounds like a fun way to train any dog.:cool:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
LOL Oh boy I hope you don't have a man living in the house. Now that you have taught the dog about the TV remote you will never get to watch what you want :D hehehe

Doberluv

Yup...if its not a man taking control of the remote, we might shoot ourselves in the foot by giving control to the family dog. Men only want to use the remote to channel surf. They look at one channel for a mili second, then switch...a mili second then switch, through dozens of channels without even seeing what's on. "Nope...don't want that" and they click again. Click, click, click but no treat. If a dog can be dextrous enough to push the tiny channel button, he'd probably stay clear of the National Geographic channel. LOL.

Brattina88

WooHoo!! My cell phone rang, and Maddie brought it to me! I almost can't believe it! That's the longest time I've ever had to work on a trick, though :D

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
It sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun .. *LOL*

I use the clicker on occasion, but mostly I mark the behavior with a word - and I will admit I have pretty exact timing, so the word works very well for me. A lot of people do better with the clicker, however. The concept is exactly the same regardless of which you use.

I'm getting a shepherd pup in January and my plan is to teach that pup things like retrieving the cell phone, bringing the slippers, turning on/off lights, closing doors, etc. Because I have an auto-immune disease that affects my joints, I thought it would be a good opportunity to train this dog as a service dog (more or less) just in case I flared really badly and needed the help. It will mostly be for fun, though .. *L*

In the meantime, I'm teaching all sorts of silly behaviors instead. Khana has recently learned to "high-step" and I'm working on putting it on visual cue with my feet (I high-step, she does the same in heel position). This is for freestyle. The verbal cue is "tick" for the right foot, and "tock" for the left foot. It's really cute - she will "tick-tock" about three sets now pretty consistently. I'm still working on getting the right foot up higher, and the left foot not so high (she knows how to cover her nose with her left paw, so when she picks it up that paw wants to go to her nose .. *L*.. it's pretty funny right now, because it looks like she's smacking herself in the nose with that foot).

Trick learned to fetch a beer - or whatever can I had on the bottom shelf - from the fridge and that can be a handy behavior too. Only trouble is, once you teach them to open that fridge door you've given them the keys to the left-overs.

Training is such fun!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Members online

No members online now.