A Canis Panther?

F

FluffyZooCrew

I found this site while browsing the net... Lori Berg's Canis Panther

That video is.... :facepalm:

It looks like an aggressive great dane/pit bull mix.

Is this like a new bully breed or something? Never heard of them before.

xpaeanx

so apparently my computer hates that sites... it's loading HORRIBLY. From what I can see she has a few different breeds that she sells... the dog in the video(which is very bad quality) almost looks like a very bulky doberman to me. But, you can't really see it clearly.

In anycase, I feel bad for those dogs... :(

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have heard of this, they've been around a while.

Canis Panther Information and Pictures, Canis Panthers

This breed was developed in the USA in the 1970s by Mr. Cleotha " Scorpio " Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez by using the Black Great Dane, Black Labrador, Doberman Pinscher, and the Staffordshire Terrier. Today the Canis Panther breeds true. We have established bloodlines and multi-generation pedigrees.

F

FluffyZooCrew

She has a link for german shepherds and american bulldogs, but the site is mainly about that... 'breed'.

The site claims she owns a kennel called Rock Of Ages Kennel, and is "Home To The Canis Panther". The site says this:

Invest in a Canis Panther, Stop your fear of a predator trying to take away your life, your family, the things you work so hard for. The last thing a criminal wants to come up against is a dog , everyone is psychologically afraid of being bitten by a dog, the bark alone has scared off many of intruders.

Crime Staticics:

As the economy goes down, crime goes up. Tuff Times call for a tuff dog, bred for your family's protection. Innocent people are being robbed, raped, assaulted, murdered, battered, shot, stabbed and maimed.

Fact:

There have been no burglaries in a home where a Canis Panther resides.

F

FluffyZooCrew

So.... they're not a breed, but rather a mix breed bred for protection? That's what I'm getting from reading around now...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
They apparently breed true, so would be considered a breed in their own right.

xpaeanx

Taken from the site Dizzy posted
This breed was developed in the USA in the 1970s by Mr. Cleotha " Scorpio " Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez by using the Black Great Dane, Black Labrador, Doberman Pinscher, and the Staffordshire Terrier. Today the Canis Panther breeds true. We have established bloodlines and multi-generation pedigrees.
...... I still feel bad for the dogs... :(

F

FluffyZooCrew

I feel bad for them too... from what I'm reading, they were basically created to be aggressive to anything outside of their family. And even inside of their family, they require extensive socialization and training, so that they don't become aggressive with members of the household.

Isn't that creating a dog that's prone to being... unstable? They're bred for their aggressiveness, it looks like. The first thing on that website is a video of one being aggressive and going ape-poop through a fence.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They were bred to be the "ultimate" protection dog and are supposed to breed true by this point. They're also supposed to be fairly similar in temperment to the original Dobes, which was incredibly HA, even towards handlers.

Dobies were bred to be much more "sharp" in temperment than your average dog. They were supposed to be a protection dog in which sharpness is a desired quality for those truly in need of a protection dog.

Pops2

the few that have been tried at traditional PP training like schutzhund & ring have been found wanting in many ways. most serious trainers in PP consider them junk crosses bred by BYBs.
ask about them on any serious protection board or even on the bandog board.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah I don't think they're quite all they're cracked up to be. Mostly I believe it's the visual intimidation factor that lures people in.

I can honestly say I've never come across one in training ever and we've come across tons of dogs from northern sled dogs to a golden retriever to the typical bully breeds, gsd's, mal's, rotties etc.

From the videos they have promoting them, it seems pretty typical of those living on the fringe and selling a story not reality. that video on the bottom is pretty pathetic. If we trained like that or had competitons like that i'd be embarassed for myself, if my dog had biting behavior like that I'd find a new trainer. Not impressed at all.

You know you're low on the totem pole when even bandog boards don't think highly of you.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Dobes were like that? Really? I didn't know that.
Not like the Canis Panther, but yes, Dobermans used to be much sharper than they are now. Ferry v Raufelsen was a notorious dog (Westminster winner, BTW) for being... um... well, Ferry was a complicated dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
NO info on health testing, NO customor testimonials, NO pictures of the parents or anything about them

all it is "WE WILL SELL YOU A BIG TOUGH DOG.. and if they arent trained as you would like boot camp is $2500!

well, on the bright side.. they beleive in positive training in their training classes (in their classes..not at boot camp) and your deposit($500) for a pup goes to a charity org

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i met one..what i would consider a "well bred" canis panther, his parents were both ofa'd and cerfed and he was an amazing dog, very beautiful...amazing personality but strong, sharp and short tempered, he was extreemly aware of his human family, very protective of family and home, warey of strangers even when introdiced by his humans, he was extreemly well trained and you could go into the house IF invited by any of the adults...when strangers or outsiders (friends or not) were in the house he would spend the time lay quietly but constantly on watch by his people.
strangers however....forget it...outside of the home he was extreemly defensive of his people and inside the home if someone even attempted to get past the fenc line it was like seeing a bezerker...

the one in that vidoe looks mixed/badly bred at the very least.
as a breed ive heard many things but all say the same, their temperments are terrible "delicate", a well bred dog can be an amazing animal to behold, but should always be respected for the power they have...
a badly bred one however (particularly those bred by idiots like this breeder, who breed "protection dogs" and oversized mosnters) are like having a live bomb sat in your living room, its often not a case of if they will go off but when. this is NOT a breed that requires any special breeding for added agression...

many canis have a tendency to bond to a few particular people...
badly bred canis are terrible prone to bonding strongly to some family members yet deciding other family members are a threat.

Members online

No members online now.