Help me out here... GSDs

xpaeanx

A coworker of mine has a 120lb GSD female. Here's a summary of our conversation just to get to the point.

When I was like "lordy that's a big girl! She's double the size of most GSDs."

My coworker was like, "no she's the perfect weight."

So then I of course said, "well, the breed standard calls for dogs around 60lbs."

Her, "well there are other types of shepherds than the roachback show ones."

Me, "I know, there are working german shepherds too, but they're still small."

Her, "No I did TONS of research on them. There are show shepherds, old style shepherds, shadow shepherds, working shepherds, roach back shepherds and mini shepherds."

Now, I'm assuming the "old style" are really shilohs.... and obvioulsy I know show and working.... what the heck are the other ones?????????? Oh, and she's adament that it's a "German Shepherd Dog." I mentioned Shiloh's as a different breed in the beginning of the conversation.

Now obviously, GSDs are not my breed. But I'm still very much under the impression that there are only show lines and working line GSDs and they're both supposed to be somewhere around 60/70lbs.

xpaeanx

a 90lb female GSD is still huge!

I'd like to know what *exactly* all those other breeds are. I'm not sure where she did her "research," but as far as I know there are only two *types* of GSD. I'm thinking the other dogs are just different types of Shepherds, but not GSD. I'm trying to figure out what they are though.... So that's why I was asking if anyone could help me out here.

that or maybe I am wrong and there are more types? I doubt that... but, like I said... they're not my breed.... so I could be.

Bunny82

Could be wrong but...

I never heard the term Shadow Shepherd, when she says "roached" I am thinking she is refering to West German Showline GSD's (the back has a banana like curve "roached")
Mini GSD's, never heard that term either but I am tempted to say that she is probably talking about a normal size GSD. Lets face it if she thinks that a 120 lb GSD is how they are supposed to look then a 60ish lb GSD is going to appear "mini".

Oh and when I think old style GSD's I think of the dogs in the 40-50's. Nothing even remotely close to a Shiloh in structure, structure wise I would say that to me that German working lines and Czech lines more closely resemble old style GSD's.

DanL

Yes, I can see a male GSD at 90. That's about where Gunnar is. A 120lb female is just way out of standard.

Old style and "shadow" shepherds are probably referring to Shiloh's.

Roach back are referring to west german highline dogs- show dogs.

Mini shepherds? WTF? That's probably a NORMAL sized female to some people. My buddy who breeds working line dogs has females that are in the 50lb range. Some of their pups are 6 months old and look like a 4 month old. There is a genetic defect that produces dwarf dogs, but they are rare and require constant vet care to survive.

maybe532

She may have done her research on less than reputable websites that make up breeds, like teacup chihuahuas, to make people think their dogs are special or different. My cousin has 2 yorkies, one is normal sized and the other is a "giant" yorkie but she refers to the smaller one as a teacup yorkie. So whoever she got them from made a killing on the correct sized yorkie and still a good amount on the giant one.
My cousin has a GSD female that is a year old and he always brags that her father was 140 pounds and her mother was 120. His dog is probably in the 80-90 pound range.

xpaeanx

haha! i didn't think that maybe to her a "mini" is a GSD in standard. That would make sense bc they would be half the size of her dog.

bunny, I'm thinking she ment shiloh about the "old fashioned" bc that's what she claimed her dog is.... and a lot of people think that shiloh's are still breed to resemble old fashioned.

and she did mention roachback and show as two different ones... but she said one at the begining of her list and one at the end.... so maybe they were supposed to be one?

I wonder where she did her "research." She claims she spent a long time learning about all the different "types" of GSD, and then she picked hers. ???????????

Bunny82

It always breaks my heart when people are misguided into thinking Shilohs share any resemblance to old fashioned GSD's.:(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Btw, our shepherd mix was 75 lbs at his prime. It's not uncommon for us to get massive GSDs in the shelter. I think a lot of BYB shepherds are way oversized.

xpaeanx

From someone that loves GSD's, I can tell you what your friend hasn't researched very well, nor knows as much as she thinks she might.
yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts exactly. but, she can be very stubborn and she pretty much dug her heels into the ground about that topic.

What I can't understand is that just a quick google on GSDs and you see dogs that are all about half the size of hers.....

baffles the mind.

xpaeanx

:rofl1: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry about that! :rofl1:

when I hit post I saw your posts, check the sites, and typed my response while looking at the site....

I have NO IDEA, why I did that....

*puts self in corner with "dunce" cap*

DanL

haha! i didn't think that maybe to her a "mini" is a GSD in standard. That would make sense bc they would be half the size of her dog.

bunny, I'm thinking she ment shiloh about the "old fashioned" bc that's what she claimed her dog is.... and a lot of people think that shiloh's are still breed to resemble old fashioned.

and she did mention roachback and show as two different ones... but she said one at the begining of her list and one at the end.... so maybe they were supposed to be one?

I wonder where she did her "research." She claims she spent a long time learning about all the different "types" of GSD, and then she picked hers. ???????????
There are American show lines and West German showlines. The American dogs tend to be the over angulated, super slope back dogs, while the WG dogs are the "roach backs".

This is the "roach back" look:

They are way oversized in America. I think they've gotten a little big overall in general, and am happy to see size again being a factor in breeding, but here most of our GSD's have a real problem. because they don't have to fit the standard to be bred and registered. There will always be a problem with the "interpretation" of the standard, but in this country most breeders totally disregard it. 130lb male 120lb female??? great put 'em together cause bigger is badder and better and they can still register the pups too.

anyway, "old world"??? this is "old world"

FCI and SV standards have been in a few threads recently and NONE call for a 120 lb female. just over 70lbs for a female is out of standard. at 120 she is a whole other female gsd out of standard, she has enough weight for 2 good sized bitches.

But then you can always lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink, sounds like she's already got her mind made up.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
As for mini shepherds, I used to claim that Piper was a miniature GSD, and some people actually believed it was a real breed. She weighed about 34 pounds.

I also knew of someone who did breed mini GSDs -- I don't recall the entire story, but it seemed he had a gene for dwarfism going on ~ whether it came from GSDs or if there was husky somewhere in the ancestry I don't remember. He specifically bred for it though and claimed them to be a new exotic breed, just right for apartments. :yikes:

For the OP though, I wouldn't try too hard to understand what she's talking about. It doesn't sound like she knows...I've seen GSDs that get to be 120 pounds. It's way too big and definitely outside any of the standards.

Domestika

Someone asked if my pup was a "shadow shepherd" yesterday! I was like "Huh...what the heck is that..."

While I agree with everyone else here that 120 pounds is waaaay out of the standard for GSDs...I don't believe it is inherantly wrong to produce dogs that large IF they are healthy and able to carry out the work the breed was intended to do.

I have said this before, but the breeder my GSD is from tends to have larger dogs. She doesn't advertise the fact, you can just see the dogs are quite large. But they are healthy (well...not my dog, but still...) and very strong and agile. They do police work, search and rescue work, Schutzhund training, etc. They can do everything a 60 pound dog can do...maybe just a wee bit slower.

So maybe your friend meant that she's "the perfect weight" for her size? Not the perfect weight for her breed, but rather for the frame she has? My parents have a 95-ish pound purebred male GSD and he's the perfect weight...for the size he is.

Members online