Q about ferrets.

96 GTS

Custom User Title
Lauren (PWCorgi) here and I have a question about ferret allergies!

If you are allergic to cats and rodents, but not really to dogs (or at least they aren't bad), is there a chance you may be okay with ferrets?

I am guessing there isn't really a 100% answer for this, and that you would need to visit a ferret rescue or house with ferrets to see.

I guess my real question is, if you are allergic to certain animals (cats, rodents) is it pretty safe to say that you will be allergic to ferrets as well?

Thanks!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I guess my real question is, if you are allergic to certain animals (cats, rodents) is it pretty safe to say that you will be allergic to ferrets as well?
No, it does not. There are quite a few people I know who are quite allergic to cats, dogs, but ferrets are fine. To have a real ferret allergy, it actually takes a lot. Ferret allergies are definitely nowhere near as common as cat/dog allergies :)

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Depends on how well the ferret is kept. The average owner who has ferrets that are smelly due to food or what have you are actually worse for my allergies that cats or dogs.

I imagine a well kept ferret that is clean and doesn't smell ferrety would be on par with dogs and cats for me though. All I know is the worst animal related asthma attack I ever had was in a ferret filled household that i had been fine in when they just had dogs and birds.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Depends on how well the ferret is kept. The average owner who has ferrets that are smelly due to food or what have you are actually worse for my allergies that cats or dogs.

I imagine a well kept ferret that is clean and doesn't smell ferrety would be on par with dogs and cats for me though. All I know is the worst animal related asthma attack I ever had was in a ferret filled household that i had been fine in when they just had dogs and birds.
That too. Litter boxes need to be cleaned, and as long as the ferrets are fed a good food, it helps with allergies SO much.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks guys. If I got a ferret it would most likely be raw-fed, and I would most definitely keep the cage clean.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The lady I adopted my ferrets from is deathly allergic to cats, but she has no problems with the ferrets. The people I know who have cat/dog allergies aren't affected by them either. I'd go play with some at a rescue or petstore and see! :D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The lady I adopted my ferrets from is deathly allergic to cats, but she has no problems with the ferrets. The people I know who have cat/dog allergies aren't affected by them either. I'd go play with some at a rescue or petstore and see! :D
I am going to contact a rescue and see about setting something up :)
IDK if a petstore would be the best place only because they are usually housed by a bunch of other rodents.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Good luck!

This is good to know, because my dad has some minor cat related allergies, and he's always saying "ferrets are gonna make me sick!". I doubt it'll change his mind about them anyway, but it's a good thing to know, because when I have my own place, I WILL be getting ferrets, and I'm glad that he'll most likely be able to come over with no allergy issues.

Brattina88

My Mom has asthma and is very allergic to cats... but she doesn't have an issue with my ferrets. My best friend also has asthma and is allergic to cats, rats and birds, and she has two ferrets.
That being said, my childhood ferret (who had marshalls food and not-the-best care, raisens and the works, I didn't know any better at the time :() had to be rehomed due to her allergies. Well, that and the fact that I wasn't spending any time with her because of school :( booo
(ETA: she did get a much better home, though)

I definitely agree with Izzy's Valkyrie... a ferrets odor will greatly depend on care, cleaning, and food. You can tell a big difference from a ferret fed crappy kibble vs good kibble... and you can tell an even bigger difference from a kibble fed ferret from a raw fed ferret (pretty much the same with dogs and cats ;))
Using cage liners / bedding and changing it out(washing) about once a week is really all the management I have to do. And scoop out boxes every couple of days... pretty much I just do it as needed.

Now I have two and they still don't smell ANYWHERE near my 1 childhood ferret. Diet does play a big role, here.
Oh, and intact males STINK no matter what food their one! :rofl1: Just a warning haha

Thanks guys. If I got a ferret it would most likely be raw-fed, and I would most definitely keep the cage clean.
:D :D Awesome to hear.

Holistic Ferret Forum - Home has a lot on raw, and there's a mentoring program, if your interested in reading (if you haven't already happened upon it ;))

I am going to contact a rescue and see about setting something up
IDK if a petstore would be the best place only because they are usually housed by a bunch of other rodents.
I think that's a good idea... Personally pet store ferrets smell worse than rescue ferrets (rescue's should be feeding better food than marshalls or walmart food! imho). There fur is all wirey and stinky :eek: But if you can deal with a pet store ferret, you're pretty safe haha

Isaac is still transitioning from marshals kibble and he's still on the stinky side :rofl1: I just have to scoop more often, so far no allergy issues... and he'll adjust pretty quickly. The comparisons in their coats alone are just
Izzy's sooooo much softer ♥ I can't wait until he gets there

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I definitely agree with Izzy's Valkyrie... a ferrets odor will greatly depend on care, cleaning, and food. You can tell a big difference from a ferret fed crappy kibble vs good kibble... and you can tell an even bigger difference from a kibble fed ferret from a raw fed ferret (pretty much the same with dogs and cats ;))
Until you end up with the only ferret in the world that is allergic to anything other than chicken, and is sensitive to raw chicken :rolleyes:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks guys :D

Dana, I have been on that site before and I believe I am a member, if I can remember my login info :p

It definitely won't be anytime soon that I get a ferret, if I even decide to get one/some. Plus Ryan still needs to be tested and pass :lol-sign:

Jess, what kibble do you feed?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Another quick question, do they have any special temperature requirements? Or do they pretty much do fine with anything we do okay with?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I feed Taste of the Wild cat/kitten... the Mountain formula (has the most protein) of the formulas.

They do NOT do well in hot. I am not sure what exactly temperature technically is that is "too hot", but I keep the room around 72 in the summer. They will go outside for small periods during the summer, but long term they cannot be out in the heat for too long.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yah, they don't do well in hot temperatures. My room routinely gets up in the 80s during the summer (even with air conditioning) and I have to be sure to keep a fan blowing on them and give them a kiddy pool to swim in. I've never had any problems with them acting like they were heat stressed, but I definitely take pains to keep them comfortable.

And when it gets cold(ish) in my room, they just snuggle up with one another and under their blankets. :)

Members online

No members online now.