Ruptured anal gland abscess

Poor Pit. Today at work an abcsess in his anal gland burst; I had no idea it was even there! We were stuck in a veterinary limbo where the regular vets were all still open but all the doctors had gone home and the emergency vets weren't open yet because the regular vets were still open.

The little wimp is crying to himself on the dog couch because he's not allowed to lick his ugly little bare bum.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery as we just started agility again (as in tonight was supposed to be our first class :mad:) Have any of you been through this with your dogs? How long did it take to heal up again?

I'd post photos of the pathetic, moping baby but I spent all of my new lens money on his fabulous vet bill. At this rate I'll never get to take a picture again!

Dekka

Just try me..
Awww poor Pit!! I haven't dealt with it but I have heard its not usually too bad after it has happened.

<<<<<<<<<bum healing vibes>>>>>>>>>> sent to Pit!

Thanks. Surprisingly it didn't smell at all! Guess I was lucky. Er, as lucky as someone in this situation can be. :p

King had that happen and eventually, I had his left anal sac removed. It was a week of hell, he was miserable the first days due to the vet putting a cone he couldn't see through on him, then after I swapped it to a clear cone, he knocked all kinds of stuff over with it, and used it as a battering ram on poor Molly.

I think it's looking like Pit might need the gland removed. After three weeks, the infection will not go away and the gland keeps swelling up and popping. Today was the fourth time it has happened and it looks like it's going to happen again. I've been into the vet twice since the first visit, each time I was told that it's healing fine. Just.. ugh.

How much did the surgery cost, Ratboy?

Members online

No members online now.