Who here is a breeder? I have a Q

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Just let me know if you breed and I will pm the question. Thanks
:)

bubbatd

Anything I could help with ,,,, I bred for over 30 years.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
wolfsoul said:
I haven't bred yet, but I'm going to breed my dog later this year and have a few breeding mentors. :)
I have a few too they are busy training and running tests. Been hard to get ahold of them!

A

Allykat

I am not sure if I will use my GSD as a stud, yet. It depends on his working ability and if he proves himself worthy of producing quality working dogs. It won't be for a VERY long time.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Allykat said:
I am not sure if I will use my GSD as a stud, yet. It depends on his working ability and if he proves himself worthy of producing quality working dogs. It won't be for a VERY long time.
Im with ya there. Along with Certs.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Yeah I suppose I can share here. I hate breeding subjects as they can easily turn out bad quickly!
My boy who is a year old is a nervous wreck. He has been seperated from my female who is in heat. Not breeding her at this time actually had an appt to get her fixed and she went into heat! One more week and she is spayed! She is being retired early due to litter sizes. She has 15 pups consistantly and it just about kills her. I love her too much to let her have another litter. First time I thought was a fluke...Second litter of 15 not a fluke!
Anyways....
He is shaking, Vomiting, Crying and whimpering at our bedroom window.
He hasnt vomited today yet. We took him out away from here for training and he did great. He is more relaxed right now. We will do this again tomorrow.
Of course if he vomits again I will take him to the vet no question.
My other male gets worked up but isnt a wreck like my poor boy is.
Is this normal? I have never seen a male act like this. My friends are all busy like me training and running tests. Plus they work too! Hard getting a call back right now.
I feel bad for my poor guy...
Any suggestions or answers appreciated.

Julie

I am back again.
I just went through this last week. All is calm now.
Rocket was in heat, it is ending now. Charlie was beside himself constantly panting, whining, slobbering, pacing, shaking etc. Although he did not vomit, he was very "Not Himself"!! If he did vomit, it wouldn't have surprised me much.

Of course they were kept seperated, but I thought I was going to go nuts.

Someone is getting fixed soon at my house too. My husband just has a reason for not getting Rocket or Charlie fixed at the moment.
He has to be sure, cause it's something you can't change back. :rolleyes:
So in the meantime we will wait it out.

It was even to the point I took Charlie to our land to see if he would be normal there. He was. Of course Rocket stayed at home.

J's crew

MomOf7 said:
Yeah I suppose I can share here. I hate breeding subjects as they can easily turn out bad quickly!
My boy who is a year old is a nervous wreck. He has been seperated from my female who is in heat. Not breeding her at this time actually had an appt to get her fixed and she went into heat! One more week and she is spayed! She is being retired early due to litter sizes. She has 15 pups consistantly and it just about kills her. I love her too much to let her have another litter. First time I thought was a fluke...Second litter of 15 not a fluke!
Anyways....
He is shaking, Vomiting, Crying and whimpering at our bedroom window.
He hasnt vomited today yet. We took him out away from here for training and he did great. He is more relaxed right now. We will do this again tomorrow.
Of course if he vomits again I will take him to the vet no question.
My other male gets worked up but isnt a wreck like my poor boy is.
Is this normal? I have never seen a male act like this. My friends are all busy like me training and running tests. Plus they work too! Hard getting a call back right now.
I feel bad for my poor guy...
Any suggestions or answers appreciated.
Some dogs handle being around a bitch in heat with little problems. Then there are others that just go nuts. I would not say it is "normal" for him to be throwing up but not something to be overly concerned with.

Is there anyone who can watch your male while she is in season? I am sure he will be fine but the kindest thing to do is remove him from the situation. I have a male that I have a friend watch when my female is in standing heat because he will tear his nose up on a crate or kennel trying to get to her. He also cries all night, etc....

If it is not possible to board him make sure you do take him out walking, training, or anything to use up extra energy. And make sure you clean any crates or areas where you female sleeps often.

Hope this helps some. Part of having unaltered dogs can mean some uncomfortable times. :)

bubbatd

I never had a problem with my males........had I not been a breeder, I would have had them fixed though.

Last edited:

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Thats a good idea J...
I will have my mom keep him over at her house for a week. She lives only 5 minutes away. Plus she lives on a lake...Even better!

Thanks for the suggestion!

J's crew

MomOf7 said:
Thats a good idea J...
I will have my mom keep him over at her house for a week. She lives only 5 minutes away. Plus she lives on a lake...Even better!

Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem! Hope all goes well. :)

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
That is what I woukld have suggested is to take one of the dogs out of the situation males just differently

Rocky has no idea when a female is in heat (or at least he acts like it) and some of our males go absolutely nuts

Members online