Allergy testing

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I'm considering getting Cali an allergy test when she goes in for a dental cleaning within the next couple weeks. She's been itching at herself a lot lately and I'm wondering about a specific trigger.

I'm just curious about the price and what it entails. I know what a human allergy test entails, but is it similar for dogs?

wishbone

I have no idea but how she's doing so far? Does she try to scratch her body? Right dosage of benadryl could help, there is also an itch relieving cream for temporary solution.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
As of right now, she'll just chew at the base of her tail and her back, and itch behind her ears. She has always had slightly watery eyes as well, probably about once a week they get very watery and I end up wiping them numerous times a day. She does have allergies to certain vaccines, as we discovered once her face began to swell about an hour after receiving two vaccines at once... so we always give her Benadryl before vaccines. The issue with that is that she absolutely hates it and no matter what we try, we end up having to hold her and attempting to squirt it down her throat.

I'm curious as to whether the allergies are simply seasonal or if it's food-based. As of right now, she's on Go! Chicken + Turkey + Trout and was on Acana Ranchlands before that. She also gets dehydrated beef tracheas to help clean her teeth, but I wouldn't consider that a major part of her diet since it takes her a week, at the very least, to finish one.

And since it's a blood test, I'd imagine that they could take it while she's sedated for her dental cleaning? She's really good for needles, because she's learned that the vet will cuddle her afterwards, but I don't know if she'd be quite as good for a blood test.

Saeleofu

And since it's a blood test, I'd imagine that they could take it while she's sedated for her dental cleaning? She's really good for needles, because she's learned that the vet will cuddle her afterwards, but I don't know if she'd be quite as good for a blood test.
She'll probably need pre-anesthetic bloodwork anyway before the dental, so they can just draw extra blood then. Do make sure you don't have her on any allergy meds/steroids for several days before the test (though that's less important with a blood test than it is with a skin test).

There is a skin test for dogs, but you usually have to go to a dermatologist to have it done, and I don't really know all the specifics, since we only did the blood test where I worked.

Logan's been super itchy and flaky this year, too. I sort of wonder if he has a mold allergy since it's been so wet, but I also suspect food. He's been on poultry and/or fish based diets with potato/pea as the carb source for most of his life, so I'm considering switching him to pork or lamb or even beef and see if it helps. As soon as I find one that isn't crazy expensive and is still good quality. I'd love to do raw, but I lack freezer space (like...I can't even fit a box of ice cream in it right now lol).

Also, just a thought, if she's chewing the base of her tail, check her VERY thoroughly for fleas as it could be a flea allergy.

Most of the dermatologists around here consider the skin test superior to the blood test, but will use the blood test to back up the skin test if it doesn't make sense or they don't get a response to the skin test.

Oreo

With the tests here they shave a small patch of fur on the side of the dog and inject about 20 different allergies into the skin and they come out in lumps if allergic.

Chicken is a known cause of food allergies in dogs.

Oreo does better on a one meat source food so something like turkey and vet or Fish and rice might be worth trying?

I would cut out all grains including rice if you can as at least then you can elimnate food as a reason.

Members online

No members online now.