Ear infection

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Violet's ear is red, and has stuff (wax?) in it. It itches but doesnt seem painful at all (I can rub on it/scratch it for her and she likes it and doesn't act like its hurting her at all, no crying or anything). I'm ready to take her to the vet if I need to, but I have been saving up to have Chloe's teeth done (it's important to have them done asap, they are pretty bad) and I don't want to have to put that off. Is there anything I can do for her ear at home? (Can you put alcohol in their ears? Get something "over the counter"?) I was planning to call the vet and take her in but I wanted to check here first to see if there's something I can do. Thanks!

milos_mommy

It sounds like an ear infection, and I'd get it looked at before it gets worse.

But, you can put a little diluted hydrogen peroxide in it, or (before it gets infected) swim ear (for humans, OTC) to keep it clean in general. If you can clean the ear out really well and keep it clean, it might heal up on it's own, but at the point where you can see the redness on the outside of the ear, I'd see a vet.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks! I'll do the diluted peroxide to clean it up.

Yeah I've been reading online and it looks like she'll need antibiotics. So I'm gonna call.

xpaeanx

Also, just as a side. I have good luck with using apple cider vinegar and water as a general preventative wash. It's super cheap and does a good job at keeping ears clean.

For whatever reason, Muffin's ears are gross.... The vinegar solution REALLY helped them out.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah, unfortunately you'll want to get that peeked at - just so you know what you're dealing with (yeast, bacteria, what kind of bacteria...) and can get the proper stuff to clear it up.

After that you can just do routine cleanings as a preventative. Hopefully it's just a one time thing! Chronic ear problems suck! (Thankfully I don't have first hand experience, my guys spoil me and don't get infections!)

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would have it checked out to make sure what kind of infection.

If she keeps getting yeast infections, my vet has me use ZYMOX

http://www.entirelypets.com/zyot1hy1.html

Whenever I notice a smell or dirty ears, I start to use. You put it in every day (don't use any cleaning solutions) and then clean after the recommended amount of days (usually 7 days). All the dirt clumps up and starts to come out the ear canal.

Members online

No members online now.