koehler method of dog training

Okay I seen today that the city's park and rec distric is offering a dog obediance class. They state that they use the Koehler method. Can someone discribe this for me. I know on one episode of mythbusters they did the teach an old dog new tricks myth and they used two methods of dog training, unfortunatly I fell asleep and couldn't finish watching it. Was this Koehler method of the methods.

Doberluv

It's real abuse. I read his book years ago and even though I hadn't gotten into the positive reinforcement, (it wasn't even talked about then) I was horrified by some of his so called "methods." Most of it was flat out abuse. I can't believe it's even still being touted as a viable way to train animals. Disgusting! Yeah, find yourself a good, reputable positive reinforcement (or progressive) trainer/clicker trainer who knows dog behavior.

RBark

Got Floof?
Man selling dog training secrets doesn't know Koehler method. Legit. Must buy.

why are people wasting time responding to someone who's only intention is to get links posted on a web board to increase traffic or ranking of their site? and why did I even click on it :D

Doberluv

Well, in case anyone lurks and thinks this might be an option, they will find out otherwise. Of course, the poster is nothing but a spammer.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I admit I have never read fully thru one of Koehler's books, but one training section in one book did stand out to me. It was to train the dog not to chase cars. You would put the dog on a long line and wait with the dog as a car drove past and as the dog started chasing after the car you would wait till it was almost out of leash and then yank back as hard as you could on the leash. The dog would hit the end of the leash with the combined momentums of his own speed coming to a dead stop combined with the force of you yanking back. Not something I feel comfortable doing.

I bet they learned not to chase cars pretty quickly :)

One also must consider that when the book was written, dogs running loose on rural roads was the norm and a lot of them ended up dead on the side of a road. Things were different and people should keep some perspective when reading.

anyway, there's as much "good" as there is "bad" in that book. It didn't become the standard for dog training for decades because it was full of abusive techniques and garbage though are are certainly some things that would never make it my "go to" bag for dog training.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Koehler's books are worth a read - what you can also find of his videos are worth a watch. If you have seen ANY of the classic Disney animal movies you have probably seen his training. Even if you don't agree with the methodology there are parts of it that are worth understanding especially if you do competitive obedience.

I have listened to talks by the current owner of the school - Tony. The man has a talent.

The beauty of dog training is that you can take bits and pieces from everyone and find a path that works for you. Odds are your dog will do fine with it as long as you're consistent and reasonable.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I bet they learned not to chase cars pretty quickly :)
Or died from injuries due to the extreme nature of such a correction. Many types of dogs CAN take that much pressure on their necks but there are also many that can't.

Don't get me wrong I do think positive punishment is important in cases where it is life or death for the dog to learn. But the punishment shouldn't carry with it it's own risk to the dog's safety.

Members online