The yellow dog project.

I like the concept.

But there are awareness ribbons for ALLTHEFREAKINGTHINGS . . . and unlikely that non-dog savvy people are going to know what it means (and they're usually the ones who assume it's fine to approach a dog without asking), which might lead to it being a conversation starter and more attention to the dog who wants to be left alone?

Maxy24

Yeah I've heard of it but I agree, if the general public doesn't know then it's not going to do any good.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
For dog sporting events (especially like dock diving where you have *tons* of newbies depending on the event) I think it might be a good idea. You wouldn't believe how stupid some dog sport people are about controlling their dog.

But in general, I agree, can you just keep your dog to yourself and avoid all this in the first place? Really?

BostonBanker

For dog sporting events (especially like dock diving where you have *tons* of newbies depending on the event) I think it might be a good idea. You wouldn't believe how stupid some dog sport people are about controlling their dog.
I bet you are right that it is because dock diving attracts so many people new to dog sports. I read this initially and thought "really?!", but I'm used to dog sport people being agility people - who obviously have been in the training world for quite a while prior to going to trials (one would hope). Trials are one of the few places that Meg never gets stressed about other dogs, because she is so comfortable. Agility people keep their dogs to themselves in my experience.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
People started putting up these signs at park entrances and I think they have helped! They may not help with Joe Public on the sidewalk but at least in the park, people know what it means.

I don't think the park officially did it or anything lol from what it looks like someone just printed off a sign, got it laminated and zip-tied it to a bunch of places. I mean, whatever works! LOL I'm happy they are there and a few dogs I walk now proudly sport yellow ribbons and people do know what it means.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Dog Scouts has done this for years- they have yellow bandanas for dog reactivity, rainbow bandanas for shy dogs, and a dog bone bandana for dogs with food allergies.

Our local troop is has a plan to try and get local dog-friendly businesses, dog parks and hiking trails to put up the yellow dog poster that Lili Chin did.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I've seen it before. I remember a trial years ago that was in a horse barn with very limited spaced inside, and they tied orange tape to leashes of dogs who were DR or shy dogs (basically orange for whoever wanted people to keep their distance from their dogs).

I think it's an awesome idea.

spiffy

The idea is great but more information dissemination regarding the project is necessary to make the public aware what the yellow ribbon stands for otherwise the ribbon on the leash will be considered as decoration.

milos_mommy

I hope this becomes more well-known, it's a great idea.

Although it would increase liability for anyone who's dog had an incident while wearing a yellow ribbon.

Members online