Silky or Yorkie?

Marianny

7 months ago we bought a yorkie puppy from an unknown breeder and called him Rufus. After realizing how big Rufus has become we did some research. We found out that he is a little too big for a yorkshire terrier and that he might be a silky terrier. The silky terrier looks a lot like a yorkie, they are just bigger and have a longer snout. We are not completely sure and would like your help. Is Rufus a yorkshire terrier or a silky terrier?

Rufus:
Height: 28 cm.
Weight: 4 Kg

Here are two pictures of Rufus :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
The pictures aren't working.. but chances are, he IS a yorkie... just a badly bred one.

Puppy mills, pet stores, less then stellar breeders, tend to breed larger-then-standard yorkies because they are easier to breed (less complications, hardier) and in many cases just sell the puppies younger so they are still very small or just don't give guarantees as far as size/health and don't give accurate records of sire/dam weights and pedigrees.

This could also be the case of somebody who bought a dog from a pet-store or other less then stellar breeder.. so even if by chance, THEIR DOG is small.. they don't know the history/pedigree size wise, so puppies come out in an ARRAY of sizes.

This is why you see so many large yorkies, chis, and min pins walking around. Especially living in the city full of pet stores/Backyard-hobby breeders..I see this A LOT.

Silkies aren't a very popular breed. Chances are, you have yourself a yorkie. Just a big one lol

JacksonsMom

It's really hard to say. But so many people automatically assume "bigger = Silky" and that's not always the case. I've seen 5lb Silky's and 12lbs Yorkies (both AKC registered). And yes, I agree with Fran ^^, so many BYBs and pet stores, etc, not breeding to standard and that's what happens.

For some reason, Rufus' face is screaming Yorkie to me.

I've gone through this debate myself. Jackson was sold to me as a Yorkie but honestly? He does not act like a Yorkie at all. I've NEVER met a Yorkie who has acted like him, and he has a completely different disposition. Even his bark sounds all Silky, LOL (from videos I've seen). I also got myself involved in the Silky community (on facebook, etc) and e-mailed a few breeders. Most say he does look like a Silky to them - the ears, the eyes, the shape of the head, the body, etc. But really odds are he's a badly bred Yorkie.

Sometimes, BYB's will use Silky Terrier females too because they are often a bit larger, with a small male Yorkie.

It's really a crapshoot. Who knows.

Here's some purebred Silky's:

Either way, it's nice to see you here and I hope you stick around. We need another Yorkie around here, hehe. :) Also, another tailed Yorkie, woohoo!

Here's a few of Jackson... my yorkie/silky/whatever you want to call him.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Looks like a BYB Silky to me. I've had 2 Silkies, a Yorkie, and a Silky/Yorkie mix lol. Your dog looks almost identical to my male Silky, Scamp.

Members online

No members online now.