Fromm Gold line

JessLough

Love My Mutt
This x100000.

JW, is that food you posted Canine Caviar? If so, I LOVE what I've read about all their foods and their company... but why are pretty much all of the formulas so high in cals? They seem like a LOT at 599 kcals/cup. And let me tell you, Jackson LOVES to eat. I don't think I could give him less than 2/3 cup on a good day (he gets 1/2 cup on a lazy day of a 430 kcal/cup food). Would I have to feed significantly less? In the summer, when he's swimming a ton, he can even get as much as 3/4 cup per day.
He'd get a little over 1/3 cup on a lazy day

In the summer he'd get a little under 2/3 cup

JacksonsMom

He'd get a little over 1/3 cup on a lazy day

In the summer he'd get a little under 2/3 cup
Thanks!

I just feel like I'd be starving him on 1/3 cup! LOL. But maybe it's just me. He just loves to eat.

I'll probably pick up a bag of the Fromm Duck tomorrow, since I don't think our store sells the Gold line, but if they do - I'll check it out. I guess I don't wanna order online just in case I have to return it, plus I forgot I have a $5 off card for Fromm. So I'll give it another shot. He's only got a days worth of Acana lamb & apple left. If Fromm ends up not working again, we'll just go back to Acana. But like I just just REALLY love Fromm and WANT it work, haha, and it's also cheaper and at a closer store.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I did look at the protein level (23% minimum) on my bag too. Which imo, is low-ish. The TOTW I was feeding was a bit higher than that. But I don't want to mess with Diamond anymore.
That's kinda typical for grain-inclusive foods though, isn't it? Their grain-free formulas are at 30% (+ or - a percent). Which isn't HIGH, but that's kinda the number I like to stick around anyway.

But I get what you're saying, I like seeing named meat meal sources higher up in the ingredient list. I didn't really look at the ingredients in the beef frittata until after I got the bag, and was a bit disappointed to see the first 6 ingredients: fresh beef, peas, whole eggs, fresh russet potatoes, pea protein, pork meat meal.
I'd be much happier if that first ingredient would've been beef meal.

At the end of the day though I really am more concerned with a) how my dog does on the food and b) the quality of the ingredients.

I've contemplated trying Acana but really hate the price that goes with it!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
This x100000.

JW, is that food you posted Canine Caviar? If so, I LOVE what I've read about all their foods and their company... but why are pretty much all of the formulas so high in cals? They seem like a LOT at 599 kcals/cup. And let me tell you, Jackson LOVES to eat. I don't think I could give him less than 2/3 cup on a good day (he gets 1/2 cup on a lazy day of a 430 kcal/cup food). Would I have to feed significantly less? In the summer, when he's swimming a ton, he can even get as much as 3/4 cup per day.
According to CC the high calorie content helps with digestibility.

I did not change Frodo's portion size at all going to Canine Caviar and he maintained just fine, no weight loss or gain. Honestly, I would give it a try if I were you. I adored this food before I fed it, now I just fluffing LOVE it. I completely plan on feeding this to future dogs. In my eyes it is the perfect food made by the perfect company.

You should grab a small bag, and see how he does. If he gains weight, just don't feed it again :p

JacksonsMom

According to CC the high calorie content helps with digestibility.

I did not change Frodo's portion size at all going to Canine Caviar and he maintained just fine, no weight loss or gain. Honestly, I would give it a try if I were you. I adored this food before I fed it, now I just fluffing LOVE it. I completely plan on feeding this to future dogs. In my eyes it is the perfect food made by the perfect company.

You should grab a small bag, and see how he does. If he gains weight, just don't feed it again :p
Hmmm... might just have to try it. I notice our store only usually has one or two flavors in stock though. I think I recall seeing the venison once. Didn't look at price.

JacksonsMom

Is there nowhere online that sells bags smaller than 12lbs? Can't seem to find any.

It definitely seems pricey! But I do love what I'm reading...

Yeah I figure if I pay $70-80 a bag (Acana) I might as well feed raw. But it looks like an amazing food. I have a sample bag around here somewhere that I need to try. :)

I am going to switch to raw in the next few months, looking for a 2nd job.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Jackson, the smallest size they come in is 3.3 or 4.4, can't remember. Not sure if the shipping would make it worth it lol

javadoo

I rotate all 4 of the Fromm grain free formulas.
The kibble size is small for all 4 formulas, but it doesn't seem to bother my labs.
My girls do great on all 4 formulas.
Love the Surf & Turf the best,......smells SO good.
And Gamebird smells like potato chips! :)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I rotate all 4 of the Fromm grain free formulas.
The kibble size is small for all 4 formulas, but it doesn't seem to bother my labs.
My girls do great on all 4 formulas.
Love the Surf & Turf the best,......smells SO good.
And Gamebird smells like potato chips! :)
I don't know what kind of potato chips you eat, but the gamebird smells NASTY.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I heart Fromm everything.

One of the oldest reputable dog food companies out there, and their reputation still goes strong. Can't beat that!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't know what kind of potato chips you eat, but the gamebird smells NASTY.
:lol-sign:

Btw thanks to this thread, today at work I was totally feeling up a bag of the LB Adult trying to gauge kibble size. Didn't work so well because of how freaking vacuum sealed the bag was. :p

JacksonsMom

LOL. Well I was right our local store did not have large breed - but they did have Gold Adult! I got a bag of duck & sweet potato, since I had a $5 off coupon, figured I'd buy the more expensive one. But still not bad - it was around $13 for a 5lb bag. He didn't eat it very enthusiastically, unfortunately, but he did eat it. But we're going to get thru the bag and he'll come around I am sure and I'll see how he does with the one bag. *crosses fingers* I switched him cold turkey, as he never usually has problems, but he did have a bit of gas tonight (nothing terrible, but very unusual for him)... but that could've been from something else, too. I saw him eating poop earlier outside and had to stop him. lol.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Hope it works out, and that his gas clears up lol. Silly poop eating dogs.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Juno has a duck problem, and not a Fromm problem. Because we've only done the surf & turf and gamebird formulas so far, and they are both mostly duck based. And she used to be on Natural Balance duck & potato and didn't do fantastic on that either. Maybe beef is our answer! I hope. :p

JacksonsMom

Pretty soft stool this AM which is unusual for him :/ he usually switches cold turkey fine. And the first day he was eating Acana Lamb and Apple, he had a nice hard solid BM from the get-go. But I seem to remember this the last time we tried Fromm, I often wonder if he's got issues w/ barley and flaxseed. He doesn't have issues with oats or oatmeal it seems. So I dunno, I realize it's only been one poo but MAN, I want so bad for Fromm to work LOL.

He just has always done the best on Acana (both grainfree and grain) soooo.... Guess I should stick with it. I guess another option, since he seems to do best on a bit more of limited ingredient types is Go! Sensitivity + Shine Duck. But I may give Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato a try since we hadn't tried that flavor yet.

I don't know if I should stick through the bag of Fromm and see what happens or just stick with what I know works.

JacksonsMom

Here is the reason according to Fromm:

All of our kibble is average to small size. There are two reasons for this; one being the method of our cooking at a lower temperature and slower pace to help avoid any damage to essential proteins or amino acids which can be caused in an intense heat process. The second reason is that a smaller kibble is better digestion for the dog. Their system is more efficiently able to break it down and process it.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Harleigh is on Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato (the first grain inclusive food I've fed since she was like 1 y/o, lol) and also Fromm Surf and Turf.

She loves them both, but that isn't surprising because she loves everything. She is maintaining her weight really good and goes bonkers every time I put the food in her bowl. We are definitely adding both to our rotation (along with Back to Basics, which is her absolute FAVE).

I do find the size difference between the two kibbles funny though. The Surf and Turf kibble looks JUST like the stuff I used to feed my friend's Emu :p

Members online