Raising his forelegs

Snowy

How to teach a puppy raising his forelegs? Is it OK to use food to lure him? My Snowy is not yet a year old. Is it not too early to teach him the trick?

Dekka

Just try me..
What do you mean by raising his forelegs? Like one at a time?

As long as the trick isn't physically demanding I have started training at 8 weeks. There is no too early for a puppy to learn (with in reason lol)

Kat is 7 months and knows touch, target, sit, down, come, is learning spin, stack, over, and how to find the weave pole entrance. Oh and she just learnt how to jump into my arms from the floor... she kinda runs up my legs.

Maxy24

do you mean to stand up on his back legs?

You could lure if you know how to fade the lure (stop using it eventually without the dog not knowing what to do). You could also first teach the dog to poke your hand with his nose wherever your hand is (with a command like "touch") then hold your hand above him (not too high)and give him the command. Slowly raise your hand higher and higher. You'll have to phase this too, you could turn it into a hand signal though. Touching your hand (or other object) with his nose can be used for a LOT of other commands as well. I used it to teach heel to phoebe.

You could shape it too but it might take a little while for the dog to figure out what you want him to do because dogs don't normally do that behavior. It might be easier with a clicker savvy dog.

Snowy

do you mean to stand up on his back legs?
Yes that's what I mean. Thanks for the step by step guide, that's so clear and practicable.

@ Dekka: Kat sounds smart and cheerful. I like her just by reading your description. :) Can't wait to get my Snowy jumping into my arms.

Criosphynx

luring is the easiest way. Be sure to fade the lure very quickly or you might get stuck there. ;) :)

Members online