Trouble giving dog ear drops

tishtash

We have a 18mth staffie, and he has yeast in his ear, the only way to treat it is by ear drops. But he hates it and its a real stuggle. Vet has even given us tranqullizers, but he still fights back like crazy, have tried using a lead, wrapping him in a duvet, feeding him all sorts of yummy treats, but he gets so stressed.

He doesnt show any signs of aggression, but this evening we have not managed to give them to him, it is just impossible. As a puppy he was always funny with his ears. Feeling really desperate at the moment,

Any one got any advice for a very upset dog owner.

bubbatd

I only had a females who hated them ....obviously the breeder didn't ' fool ' with ears when she was a pup . Start early before they become an issue for theatment .....doesn't help you , but hopefully others , Good luck !!

tishtash

bubbatd, i so agree, any one with pups out there really get them used to you examining their ears, i wouldnt wish this on anyone or there dog. I really wish i had persisted when he was a pup and i feel so bad as i have been what i thought a good dog owner for years.

I am thinking i might get a choker tomorrow, and try that, i hate chokers but all this messing about is just stressing him too much, and i need to give him drops for 2 months, and then clean his ears twice a week for ever so that it doesnt come back.

bubbatd

I started after the whelp as soon as the ears opened . No probing ...just the edges to get them used to qtips ....

goldiefur

My Golden hates ear drops!:yikes: He will let me do anything to his ears like wipe them out but when he sees the drops he goes crazy. It took two of us to hold him down and he still wrestled away and we ended up with expensive drops all over us. You just have to be fast and pray they get in. A few times I would sneak up on him when he was sleeping and I think I got more drops in that way. I think it is because the drops are cold and it tickles them. I think you are going to have a hard time and I would give the choke chain a shot but I have a feeling it won't work. Good luck I hope you can think of something.

tishtash

Yeahhhhhhhh, tried the choke chain, and he backed himself into a corner but i have managed to do it yesterday and today, didnt give him tranquillizers today either, as i hated giving them to him. Today he made up with me quicker today, as on monday he gave me a wide berth for ages. Am so pleased.

whackichic

Are you warming the solution?
Some of those are COLD when they come out of the bottle.
I warm the bottle in my hands.
Thanks for that novel idea. I never would have thought of it.
Gabbi hates the ear stuff I have to put in hers. I found if she is laying down I can hold her head still better. I sit on the couch and lean down puttting it in. I have nobody to help me so I just had to trial and error. I talk softly to her as I am doing it and I praise the hell out of her afterwards and give her a treat.

Members online

No members online now.