Good food for sensitive stomachs?

Toller_08

Winston, my 8 year old Doberman, has a very sensitive stomach and throws up with almost any kibble he gets. Currently he's eating Nutro Natural Choice Chicken meal, Rice, & Oatmeal formula for sensitive stomachs and he doesn't throw the food up but the problem is, is he throws up bile about 3 or so hours after he's finished eating due to hunger. It seems to just go right through his system. The only reason we switched him to this food is because our vet said oatmeal was good for dogs with stomach sensitivities. I don't really like Nutro, and would like to switch him over to something else but I don't want to make him sick again. Are any of the California Natural formulas okay for sensitive stomachs? If not, do any of you know of other premium quality kibble that usually does work for dogs like him?

Herschel

I would suggest a premium kibble with a single protein source to make it easier on your dog's stomach. How about California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato Adult?

pup-man

Permanent Troll
You may want to consider Canidae Chicken and Rice formula. It's a singe protein source and has limited "other" ingredients compared to other brands out there.

P.S. Are you sure it's just a sensitive stomach? A liver shunt comes to mind for me. Any other symptoms?

Toller_08

pup-man said:
P.S. Are you sure it's just a sensitive stomach? A liver shunt comes to mind for me. Any other symptoms?

We've taken him to the vet to be checked out and tested for different things, he didn't find anything wrong with him. He said that because he was starved for most of his life and the food he did recieve occasionally was very poor quality (He was fed Ol' Roy when his previous family did decide to feed him on occasion) that he probably just can't handle any sort of kibble very well. He just labeled him as having an overly sensitive stomach.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I have Tango on the CN Herring & Sweet Patato so I'll try it on him and see what happens, if it doesn't work, I guess I'll jsut keep searching and try some of the other foods mentioned in this thread.

Members online