How to get rid of little black flies

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
that look like fruit flies. I have been leaving the sliding door open for the dogs and bathroom window open while I take a bath a lot which in turn has allowed those little pesky flies into my home.

Does anyone have any advice and suggestions to get rid of them.

Thanks in advanced :)

Maxy24

Well if they behave like fruit flies you can set out a glass of fruit juice/red wine/apple cider vinegar, add a drop of dish soap to it, and watch them drown. Just set it where they seem most dense in the house.

Some people put plastic wrap with a few holes or make some sort of funnel over the top so that the flies get in but have trouble getting out. I have always just left the top open. The flies land on the juice and the soap breaks the surface tension of the water so they cannot stand on top, they sink down.

But that's assuming whatever flies you have are attracted to the same stuff that fruit flies are.

Locke

Not sure if it works for anything but fruit flies, but I had a lot of success with putting a banana peel in a bowl, covering it really tightly with plastic wrap, and poking holes just big enough for the flies to get in.

I left it out for a few days and caught pretty much all of them.

Snark

Mutts to you
Are gnats the same as fruit flies? I hate gnats... (So does Riley, mostly because the word, 'gnat!' is accompanied by a loud, smacking sound. Riley does not approve of loud, smacking sounds.)

Picked up some of those clear, sticky traps you can put on a window (one side has a thin strip of adhesive, the other side is completely sticky and supposedly treated with pheromones to attract the little dears). Caught quite a few - which creeps me out...

Zhucca

Lab Love
I make a fruit fly trap.

Take a 590ml bottle of pop, cut the top off. Put a 1/4 of apple cider vinegar in it with some dish soap. Plop the top back in upside down and bam, they can't get out.

Like this:

Members online

No members online now.