Defend Pit bulls, are you a good writer?

Amstaffer

The Wisconsin State Journal (Madison WI) is asking for people to write the editor ([email protected]) to give your stance on Pit bull bans. If you are a good writer and put together a good arguement opposing BSLs I would love the help. It has to be 200 words or less and you must include your name, address and phone number. It has to be in by Tuesday (8-2-05)

Thanks.

Below is my 200 words exactly (it was hard to stay under 200 words), hopefully one of you can put it better.

Pit bull bans or any breed specific bans are based in media hype. The term “Pit bull” is used to describe over 25 different breeds. Many of the attacks that are attributed to the Pit bull are actually committed by mix-breeds or other pure-breeds and just incorrectly reported.

It is clearly the fault of cruel and negligent owners for the attacks that happen. If you look into any of the attacks that take place you will see that the dogs were abused and/or neglected. If we as a society would enforce current rules and strengthen animal abuse laws you would see these attacks stop.

If Pit bulls are born killers then why is that prior to the drug epidemic of the 80s you never heard of Pit Bull attacks? In the 70s it was the Doberman or German Shepard.

Dogs show happen everyday where Pit bulls come together in large groups and never bite anyone. Pit Bulls according to the Humane Society pass temperament tests over 80% of the time, while most other dogs pass about 77% of the time. The same logic that supports breed specific bans, is the same logic that supports racism. Beware the culture of fear!

bubbatd

I just hope that all pitty people answer.......... it's such a shame when breeds get a bad rap because of stupid breeders and owners.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I think that is a great argument. But perhaps you should have some concrete facts like references to a website about show Pitbulls or something??

Richie12345

this is real cheesy, here it is:

Pit bulls have been blamed for attacks that they haven’t actually done. And for that reason many people mistake breeds of dogs for Pit bulls. This is one of the most feared dog breeds in America, all because the media gave the breed a bad image.
A lot of Pit bulls live in bad conditions, also abused, and become afraid of people due to lack of socialization. This causes them to snap on people who come near them.
People believe that Pit bulls got their name because of their skill of fighting, which is not true. The American Pit bull Terriers were originally bred to kill a number of rats in a certain amount of time, a sport called “ratting”. Bars began having “pits” where they would place bets to decide which Pit Bull would kill the most amounts of rats.
BSL is wrong because all those great family dogs known as Pit bulls will be taken away, because of irresponsible breeders and owners that abuse the breed. We should not ban a certain animal just because it’s a certain breed, this is suppose to be the land of the free. We should arrest abusive owners and breeders, not diminish an animal and its breed.

Is it alright if it's 205 words?

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
That was good Richie! I don't think it was chessey, it was the truth, and UI think we should believe it.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Amstaffer yours was really good as well! Both of yalls where great! I wish I could write something like that.

Amstaffer

Pro47 said:
I think that is a great argument. But perhaps you should have some concrete facts like references to a website about show Pitbulls or something??

I would have but there was a 200 word limit. I could have easily wrote 2000 words on this topic...Lol

Good job Richie...Thanks.

luvmydogs

Richie1234 said:
this is real cheesy, here it is:

Pit bulls have been blamed for attacks that they haven’t actually done. And for that reason many people mistake breeds of dogs for Pit bulls. This is one of the most feared dog breeds in America, all because the media gave the breed a bad image.
A lot of Pit bulls live in bad conditions, also abused, and become afraid of people due to lack of socialization. This causes them to snap on people who come near them.
People believe that Pit bulls got their name because of their skill of fighting, which is not true. The American Pit bull Terriers were originally bred to kill a number of rats in a certain amount of time, a sport called “ratting”. Bars began having “pits” where they would place bets to decide which Pit Bull would kill the most amounts of rats.
BSL is wrong because all those great family dogs known as Pit bulls will be taken away, because of irresponsible breeders and owners that abuse the breed. We should not ban a certain animal just because it’s a certain breed, this is suppose to be the land of the free. We should arrest abusive owners and breeders, not diminish an animal and its breed.

Is it alright if it's 205 words?
**** richie, im speechless. that was good. i couldnt have done it better as was am.staff's. but the reason i'm surprised, is because richie is only 12!!! and so intelligent...

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
This will be alot more than 200 (and of course I missed the deadline :eek: )

I am an owner of a 1 ½ yr old female pit bull. I myself at one time was afraid of pit bulls because of the hype that was given to them. I had the opportunity to get to know a male pit bull and fell in love with him. Please remember a dog is only as vicious as you train them to be.

Not long ago I remember when there was media hype on Rottwielers and Dobermans as they were the vicious animals of the year. Soon after came the pit bull. All you heard was horror stories on pit bulls, but you never heard the stories of those pit bulls who were loving and caring companions. I adopted a female pit bull in Dec 2003 and to this day would never think of not being an owner of a pit bull. She will go to great lengths to protect and serve my family. She is a protector and a lover. Nalla (my pit bull) is one of the most loyal animals that I have ever come across. To tell me that she is a menace to society and a danger is nothing short of a misconception.

As a society we need to educate ourselves on the breed of animals that are out there and what they are capable of and what they are not. Any animal can harm and even kill if put in the right situation. It is the responsibility of the animal owner to train, nurture and love the animal that they have chosen for a pet. Remember just like humans dogs also practice what they are taught. If you teach any dog to attack they will attack.

What does the past teach us? It teaches us that at one point in time people didn't care about how people felt about animals but how much money they would bring in to kill. How can a society in whole put this much blame on a breed? The blame lies with those who created these myths about the doberman, rotty, pit bull and even the German Shepard.

You see P. Diddy for example who has a white pit and has it for status. No please tell me the reason behind that. Will we see him playing in the park with his beautiful creature or only on a diamond studded leash walking around? We as a nation need to take responsibility for the creations and the fears of these large but beautiful animals.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.