Need dog walking help

Fran27

I'm at the point where I don't dare walking the dogs anymore. First, it's nearly impossible to take Tips alone. Boris cries and cries when he's left alone, and if he sees the leash he goes crazy and he will want to go out, too. So it's a real pain to get Tips at the door alone.

Getting Boris alone is easier, unfortunately I just don't dare walking him alone anymore. He usually doesn't pull, but if he sees something he wants to reach, he will. Last time he did that the leash rubbed my fingers raw, I just can't prevent him from rushing something if he wants to. So I just don't dare taking him out just in case he gets out of my grip and runs towards a car or something. The second problem being that I can't take him to the park, because he hates the car. Everytime we go out with my husband, we have to basically force him into the car. He loves the walks, but the car makes him sick. To the point where he doesn't even care for treats when it's time to get into the car (he loves treats usually). It's a real nightmare, seeing that he is 85lbs and of course I can't pick him up.

So as a result they get their excercise in the yard most of the time, and we can only walk them together, or my husband alone, but not everyday. I just feel really guilty about it. They're very fit, it's not a problem, it's just that I would like them to go out more. My other issue is that there is never anyone outside when we walk the dogs in the neighborhood, and as it's a nightmare to put Boris in the car, I'm worried they won't get to see enough people. We try to take them to the park every week (depending on rain and snow), but it's not always possible and I'm not sure it's quite enough. They are socialized, love people and don't jump on them anymore when outside though.

When we walk them together it's physically exhausting also. Tips pulls to get in front and Boris as usual pulls to get to things he's interested in. The sad thing is we spent a long time trying to teach him good leash manners but obviously it didn't help much. We don't do offleash, it's against the law here and they still pull to see other dogs, so I can't take the risk.

I realize they need more training on how to behave outside. Boris listens to us, Tips not so well when Boris is there. I admit we slacked a lot but with my treatments I wasn't allowed to do too much effort (and walking the dog is exhausting as it is), so I never really got to work on it. Any advice?

Beauceron

Put one dog in a crate while you walk the other. Use a leather leash for your hands and put the dog on a choke or pinch collar.

Fran27

Ok I tried again. I did Boris first, while Tips was in his crate. Tips cried like he was being tortured when he saw me take the leash and Boris out of the room, but he survived. Boris was great, except that he had his leash in his mouth the whole time. But he never pulled except when he saw two guys, I stopped, and he just sat.

Then I took Tips out, Boris whined a bit but it was ok, but Tips really need more training I guess. At first he didn't know where we were going and was going left, right, backwards, you name it. On the way back he pulled a lot, but I just stopped and called his name, and as soon as he looked at me and the leash was loose I started again. I guess he will get it eventually.

I really hate the neighborhood though. There's like 2 blocks you can walk around and that's it. Other than that we are surrounded in big roads with no sidewalk, plus I never see anyone. I guess it's good for Tips that there isn't much distraction but doing always the same path and seeing nobody must be just as dull for the dogs as it is for me. Bleh.

Beauceron, I used the crates to get the dogs in the living room alone, it works fine indeed. They just cry, lol. But at least they go there when we ask. For the leather leash, I'm definitely going to look into it, the ones we have are just no fun for my hands. I don't want to use choke or pinch collars though. As it is, when we walk them and they pull too much they already half choke on their collar, and it doesn't stop them one bit, so I don't think it would be any help.

PFC1

Have you tried the gentle leader? Many people find they work great.

Also, the pinch collar really is not as bad as you think. If it were a choice between not walking and walking them on a pinch collar, I would walk them on the pinch collar. Even though it may be emotionally hard for you to accept the pinch collar, you might want to force yourself for the good of being able to take the dogs on walks. It is sort of like having power steering for your dogs.

Since the dogs are simply pulling against a flat collar when you walk them, I would definitely not recomend a choke collar for you. I suspect that you would simply have them doing the same with a choke collar.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I am not a large person. I do frequently walk 2 of my bitches at the same time. This means I am walking 180+ lbs of dog, and I am less than 130 lbs.

For the safety of ALL CONCERNED, I use pinch collars when I am walking more than one dog.

THe longer you let the dog control the situation, the harder it will be to stop.

The longer you let them lean on collars, the better they will learn to pull.

Make everyone happy. Get some pinch collars, use them, and go walking!! :D

I prefer the SMALL size prong. It is not as obvious, and gets better results. It's also easier to put on and take off. You will need extra links. You can get these from the website below. Measure the circumference of your dogs neck at the top, right behind the ears and up under the chin. You need a prong that will equal this distance plus about 1 inch.

WHen you get the collar, take the 2 links that attach to the rings on the chain, and bend the prongs down so they can't come off.

It is also important to ALWAYS use a SECOND collar with a prong. Prongs work great, but they can come disattached with little or no notice sometimes. I use a slip collar WITH the prong, and attach the leash to both collars.

And Beauc is right. There is nothing easier on the hands than leather leashes. You can find good ones for an excellent price at http://www.jandjdog.com

PFC1

Somone on this board mentioned a no pull harness at one time. I am not familiar with those. So, the following does not necessarily apply to those. The harnesses that I am used to only compound the problem. They let the dog put all of their weight into pulling you, rather than having to pull with their necks. That's why sled dogs wear harnesses, not choke collars-- so they can pull with all of their might. I have heard some people swear by the harness, but what I have personally seen is that the people are just more willing to play tug of war with their dog since they think that they no longer have to concern themselves with the well being of their dog's neck.

Fran27

Are those pinch collars so good? Maybe I should consider them... It looks like it would hurt though :(

Thanks for the website, the leashes are indeed cheap and I'll look into it.

oriondw

user not active
Fran27 said:
Are those pinch collars so good? Maybe I should consider them... It looks like it would hurt though :(

Thanks for the website, the leashes are indeed cheap and I'll look into it.

I actually tried a prong on myself, and it doesnt hurt at all.

The principle is that the blunt spikes divide pressure between themselves thus they cant really do any dmg. Its like people laying on nail beds, same principle.

Yes the pinches work well.I would rather see them used more than choke or check chains.The only thing is I wouldnt use one on a dog under 6 months of age.I really hate the gentle leaders and halties though.If you go with a pinch collar have a trained proffesional show you how to fit the dogs and use them correctly.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Pinches aren't torture devices. If you need to walk two large, energetic dogs at once I would absolutely agree with using them.

As for them hurting, I too have tried a pinch collar on my own neck and it didn't hurt. (And I imagine I'm a complete wuss compared to orion ;)) It was slightly uncomfortable when the leash was pulled taut, but it was not painful. The normal choke chain was what REALLY hurt.
If you don't have total control over the dogs I wouldn't use a head halter. A dog hitting the end of the leash at full speed with a head halter on could very well cause major injuries to the neck.

I would also tend to agree about the harnesses. I have them for my dogs and all they do is allow them to pull a bit harder when they feel the need to go after something. There are no pull harnesses but I've never really had the chance to use them on my own dogs, as they don't give me much trouble when they're leashed.

bubbatd

Have you ever tried them on a double lead ?? I did this when I couldn't control one in each hand going ever which way.... Mine seemed to respect each other and sure made it easier on me ! Otherwise, I'd go to a trainer who could advice based on what the problem is. That was a few years ago... poor Chip doesn't even know what a walk is today !!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Another nod for the pinch collar! I use one for training with Zeus. They are much more humane than choke collars. Zeus actually becomes insanely excited and happy to see his, so they can't possibly be that bad. If you use it properly, it will do wonders towards helping Boris on leash.

I don't like no-pull harnesses or haltis. They are restraint devices, not training tools. Basically, they make it so your dog CAN'T pull, but do nothing to teach the dog that it SHOULDN'T pull.

Beauceron

put a pinch collar on your arm and pull, USe it sensibly don't haul back as hard as you can but give one quick pop, it isn't as bad as most people think.

Fran27

Ok, I think I will get two. I knew I forgot to look at something at Petsmart last night :(

Thanks a ton for the advice!

PFC1

Please be sure to have a knowledgeable person show you how to fit it, and how to use it. It is possible that the links come apart while on a walk, particularly if the pinch collar is sized too big. This happened to me once, and it was a major panic inducing moment. I always keep the flat collar on at the same time now, in case it happens again. I do this despite having been explicitly taught not to. Just make sure that the flat collar is not tangled or crosses the the prongs.

If your dog tries to pull, give one good quick pop on the leash, but don't go crazy. You do not need to give it every thing you have. I just use a bit of a wrist flick, and sometimes just a flick with my fingers. I do not get my arm and shoulder into it. Get the dog to come back and give some slack in the lead. Stop walking until the dog comes back and gives slack. If you continue walking while he pulls, he is being rewarded by making progress in his intended direction by pulling. You don't want to reward that.

Remember, you are not going to be holding the dog back by force (like you were trying to do with the flat collar), the quick correction is to remind the dog to maintain slack. If you are continually pulling back on the leash with a pinch collar, you are doing it wrong.

Once the dog learns to maintain slack, then he will get no correction, and thus he will have no discomfort. This is why ultimately the pinch collar is much more humane (in my opinion) then an improperly used choke collar or improperly used flat collar.

When your dogs start to realize the balance of power has shifted with the pinch collar, they may start to shy away when you pull out the collar to put it on him. But if you only use it for fun things-- like walks, they will associate with good times, and will tolerate it anyway.

Members online

No members online now.